Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I'm just making the switch now from pc to a MBA (waiting for it to be delivered). What are typical things that are different between the two, that I should be aware of? Is adjustment quick?

Devil Dog 21

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas City
When I switched 4 months ago my main issue was the lack of a "Windows like" file explorer. Doesn't take very long to get used to the OS. What's more frustrating is using a windows laptop once you've used an Air.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Having dealt with a lot of switchers at my work thee first thing I have to tell them is: to quit applications use Command + Q, just don't click the (x) on the application window.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Command + C to Copy/Cut (it's both)
Command + V to Paste (make a copy)
Command + Option + V to Paste (move the last file over)

Control is useless unless for very specific stuffs. Most shortcuts are now the Command key, which is "awkwardly" in the same position as the "Window" or "Alt" key on a PC.

The Delete key really is a Backspace key. You can't move a file to the Trash with the Delete key alone. You have to use Shift + Delete to do so.

Also, there is no drivers, so what you have right now (in terms of performance) is exactly what you'll get for the rest of the ownership. Bootcamp to Windows still uses drivers though, so if you are not satisfied with something, there is still the door out.

And last but not least, no Uninstall/Remove Programs. If you don't like something, drag it to the Trash. There might be special Uninstaller apps for certain things, but those are just to clean things up perfectly. If you're reinstalling, or you don't care about leaving settings of old apps on your Mac, just drag the app into the Trash.

In fact, learn how to drag and drop if you were too addicted to Control + C, Control + X, and Control + V on Windows.

Installers still exist, but they are few and far between. And if a dialog pops up asking for your password even though you have none, just press Enter.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
The thing that took me a while to adjust to was the location of the close and minimise gadgets. I also had issues with the OS making a window the size it wanted to be when maximising, instead of filling the screen. BUt after installing better touch tool that problem has gone away.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Realising that closing a program doesn't automatically quit it. Don't laugh, but it took me a while to realise why my MSoffice updates were stalling, coz I didn't force-quit word. :p

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I'm just making the switch now from pc to a MBA (waiting for it to be delivered). What are typical things that are different between the two, that I should be aware of? Is adjustment quick?

Finder sucks, TotalFinder add-on makes it much better :)

aldocg

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
I've been using Windows for about 16 years and I just switched to a MBA.

I'm never going back to Windows, for sure. Anyway, it took me about 5 days to FULLY adjust, and I have one single recommendation:

Get BetterTouchTool and give it a try. If you're frustrated, keep going.

I will never use a mouse again in my life. Mice are crap. The trackpad on your Mac is absolutely amazing and so powerful that you'll amaze yourself at the things it does.

I do so many stuff with gestures and the like on my trackpad, that using a mouse would slow me to a crawl.

It's very complicated at first, getting used to it but after setting it up exactly how you want it you'll be very satisfied.

To me the things I didn't know were:
  • How installers work
  • How the file system works
  • Keyboard shortcuts / commands

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If command c is copy and cut, how do you specify to cut? Or is there just no cut option for macs?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If command c is copy and cut, how do you specify to cut? Or is there just no cut option for macs?

CMD + X is CUT, but it does not work in Finder with Mac OS X 10.6 and earlier.
CMD + C is COPY, CMD + V is PASTE.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks so much, everybody, this is super useful :)

What does 'better touch tool' mean? What is a touch tool? :confused:

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
CMD + X is CUT, but it does not work in Finder with Mac OS X 10.6 and earlier.
CMD + C is COPY, CMD + V is PASTE.

ok thanks.

What finger do you use to press the cmd + shortcut key. With the control key on windows it makes since to use your left pinky for ctrl, then index/middle finger for the shortcut, but the cmd key seems to be kind of awkwardly placed. I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, but I can't figure out an easy way. Maybe thumb for cmd + regular finger for shortcut key?

Nov 28, 2010
located
ok thanks.

What finger do you use to press the cmd + shortcut key. With the control key on windows it makes since to use your left pinky for ctrl, then index/middle finger for the shortcut, but the cmd key seems to be kind of awkwardly placed. I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, but I can't figure out an easy way. Maybe thumb for cmd + regular finger for shortcut key?

Thumb for CMD and OPTION, Index Finger for the letters.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
I have 25+ PC years and only switched a few months ago. Actually, I still use Win 7 as well as Lion, so I'm not a total switcher. The most useful thing I found for learning OS X is a cheap app called Tutor For Lion. Follow the lessons and you'll be an OS X expert in no time.

http://www.appshopper.com/mac/productivity/tutor-for-lion

The two biggest adjustments for me are the lack of a file manager similar to what I use with Windows and the lack of a true Delete key. I like to use my MBA in clamshell (closed, with an external monitor) mode. I use my PC keyboard when I do that and I'm always hitting the Del key and being bugged that it doesn't delete. You have to use the Backspace key to delete.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
As some have said--the best approach is to just accept that you are changing operating systems. If you need to do something, learn the OS-X way to do it and don't try and get OS-X to do it the way Windows does it. That will only lead to frustration. You can do anything on a Mac that you did on a Windows platform, it will just be a different way of doing it. That's the approach I took in 2008 and I had very little trouble adapting. :)

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
So I finally have my MBA. Your posts have been very useful because otherwise I'd probably spend a lot of time looking for that delete-key as well as other short cuts :eek:

I think I might invest in that app that Bob recommended. I'm doing fine but a lot of the details are a bit blurred to me. Unexpectedly I'm NOT friends with the track pad yet, but I hope that will improve soon.

Is there anything resembling/corresponding to a task manager on the MBA?

This is a silly little thing but I'm also wondering if I can get rid of the picture I was 'forced' to set up on my user ID. It wouldn't let me register it unless I took a photo :confused:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is there anything resembling/corresponding to a task manager on the MBA?

This is a silly little thing but I'm also wondering if I can get rid of the picture I was 'forced' to set up on my user ID. It wouldn't let me register it unless I took a photo :confused:

There's an Activity Monitor in the Utilities Folder within the Applications folder. You can also use CMD-Tab to tab through applications (similar to Alt-Tab in Windows).

I don't have the Mac in front of me, but I believe you can change the picture in System Preferences within the Users setting.

Another tip is that if you open up Finder and drag the Application folder to the right side of the Dock (right of the little "divider" near where the Trash Can is), it creates a shortcut that operates a little bit like the Start button in Windows.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
There's an Activity Monitor in the Utilities Folder within the Applications folder. You can also use CMD-Tab to tab through applications (similar to Alt-Tab in Windows).

I don't have the Mac in front of me, but I believe you can change the picture in System Preferences within the Users setting.

Another tip is that if you open up Finder and drag the Application folder to the right side of the Dock (right of the little "divider" near where the Trash Can is), it creates a shortcut that operates a little bit like the Start button in Windows.

These are great tips, thanks! :)

Fazzy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
check the tracking device
I made the switch late august, rarely having used a mac before. Honestly, i didn't have an issue at all. I think it was because (don't laugh) my primary computer usage before that was my iPhone (which is a watered down version of osx). I used it for the internet, all my emails, everything. I rarely used computers, mainly just for word processing.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
A couple of screen grab shortcuts that don't seem to be documented anywhere are:

1) To screengrab an area of screen, hit SHIFT+CMD+4. Then drag a rectangle with your mouse. When you release the mouse key, the screenshot will appear on your desktop.

2) To screengrab a window, hit SHIFT+CMD+4. Then hit SPACEBAR. Then click on the window you want to image. A file will appear on the desktop.

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
These are great tips, thanks! :)

One other thing is that OSX hides a lot of folders and files from you that you are used to seeing in Windows. Apple reckon you'll just blunder around and delete files and folders you need because you don't recognise them and believe me there are loads of them. It can be frustrating when you know you have some files but can't find them because they have been hidden from you. A search of help or support forums will tell you how you can unhide them permanently or temporarily.

Stewart

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.