What are using for international calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vietalogy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Was wondering what everyone was using? I've been using Rebtel which I can use my mins or wifi and works great so far.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Maybe I'm boring, but I just use the Phone app...

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are we talking about calls to international landlines in particular? Since if its mostly to other smartphones or something similar there are many options that can work (depending on what you and the other party might have installed on their device as far as a third party service/app goes).

5. vietalogy thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess for landlines and to people without smart phones.

6. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Being one of the few that dated my now wife who was then from another country... I used a variety of things:

Google Voice
    LocalPhone (I put a $6/mo local phone number in her country for her to call - still have it for her family in Peru).
    Nowadays we use primarily Facetime, Hangout Video Calls, and LocalPhone to communicate with family back in Peru. When internet is out (for them or us) we'll use Google Voice and LocalPhone to call landlines/cellphones.

Note: I tried EVERYTHING back in the day. Yes, even used Rebtel for awhile but found GV and Skype to be the best.

7. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Direct calls to cellular and landlines with unlimited minutes thanks to T-Mobile's $10 add on!!

8. tiartrop macrumors regular

I used to get phone calls from someone who claimed to use Rebtel, the quality was horrendous. Where are you calling from? States?

I just use Skype occasionally, the quality depends on the internet connection. I actually just got a phone call from someone overseas today, she used Skype, she said my voice was crisp, I could barely hear her.

9. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

I simply do not (need to) make international phone calls. :D

10. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I have unlimited calls to Canada and the US and 15 or so European countries with my provider here in Switzerland - Sunrise. Otherwise I use Nonoh or skype. All both to landlines or mobiles. When I travel I keep in touch also with Viber or Facetime depending on who I'm talking to.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Is Rebtel anything like Viber? Can you call anywhere or are certain countries restricted? There's always some catch.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Neither do I.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

These certainly appear like quite useful and worthwhile replies in this thread.

14. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

Well that's useless.

I use Google voice and the hangouts app on my iPhone.

15. DEG1 macrumors member

I use Skype exclusively for international business. Wife uses QQ only for China.

16. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Kinda funny. I'm an American who lives abroad, and Google Hangouts has been my savior.

A couple years ago, Google Voice didn't have a native app, and you had to use apps like Talkatone which had their own servers to route the calls through, but now that voice is integrated into Hangouts, it's all I use to call the states.

Keep in mind, the only reason I can use it is because I signed up for a GV number when I still lived in America. I don't think most people can use Hangouts the same way that I do.

17. nox5 macrumors 6502

MO+ from Apps store just install and run few apps to get credits