What are we going to do w/ our old Iphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kareem92, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Kareem92 macrumors newbie

After hearing about the new 3G Iphone I just like everyone else defenitly want to get one.
    But what do we do out our orignial Iphones?
    I would sell it, but now the 3G's are going for so cheap I won't be able to do anything with it.
    What are you guys ganna do w/ your old iPhone?

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THAT THE $199 PRICE TAG IS FOR A TWO-YEAR CONTRACT ONLY?!?! LOOK AT THE 3G PRICES ON EBAY RIGHT NOW!! THEY'RE GOING FOR LIKE $750!

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Unlock it, and you'll be set to sell it for a good amount.

5. likeavaliant macrumors regular

199 is the price for the iphone with two year contract. well below the original price point.

a 3g iphone on ebay? already? that makes a lot of sense... go buy from there. "idiot"

6. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I would say sell yours on eBay unlocked and you can still get $300-$400 depending on the condition. Not unlocked typically gets $50-$75 less.

Take your earnings and use it to buy a new one and the extra pays for the higher costs of service. My 2 cents....

7. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Are you trying to make sense? There are tons of 3G iPhones on eBay already. How about using this.

And also, if you weren't required to bide into a two-year contract, it would be the same if not more money than the original iPhone.

8. Kareem92 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. likeavaliant macrumors regular

so you're going to pay a guy a ton of money to go to the att or apple store on the morning they are released to buy one and send it to you? he isnt saying it's unlocked. 3g iphones must be activated in store. its a waste of money. go buy one yourself that morning. whats the point?

10. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You have to get a two-year contract with AT&T with a SIM CARD, there is no tying in with the phone at all. All that these people are going to do is, go sign contracts, get the iPhone for $199, then just not use the service. AT&T is a GSM network......

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    oh i see, won't ship till july 12

12. kshap448 macrumors newbie

3G Activation

Why are they taking a step back and activating the new phones in the stores? I thought that the activation process within iTunes was great. Please let me know if any of you have any information about this.

Thanks

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm going to keep mine, my moms too. (We are both getting the 3G iPhone) But for $100, i don't think it's worth to sell, as we have 4GB phones, and it could make a great backup phone.

14. likeavaliant macrumors regular

why pay somebody $300+ more to buy a phone for you when you could, in essense, do the same thing? is it because you dont want to get another contract? i'm seriously curious. the logic doesnt work for me.

its to combat people buying them up, unlocking them, and reselling for people on other networks.

15. STC macrumors 6502a

I posted my jailbroken 8GB on iPhone on Craigslist for $300 after the keynote yesterday.
    I got a few calls, 1 was serious.

At the end of the day i decided to keep my 1st gen iPhone. Reasons are:
    I dont surf the web on the iPhone a lot, and when I do I do when I'm on a wifi network. I dont use GPS, i have one in my car already.

I might get a new iPhone in 6 months or so, but for now I'm happy w/ 1st gen.

16. supaflyryan macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if someone buys a v1.0 iPhone from a previous owner, do they have to pay the new more expensive data plan from AT&T, or can they keep paying the existing cheaper data plan?

17. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

My wife and I are keeping our v1's for a good long time. That is until Apple decides to put in a video camera and preferably unshackle itself from the Death Star.