Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kareem92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
After hearing about the new 3G Iphone I just like everyone else defenitly want to get one.
But what do we do out our orignial Iphones?
I would sell it, but now the 3G's are going for so cheap I won't be able to do anything with it.
What are you guys ganna do w/ your old iPhone?

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
After hearing about the new 3G Iphone I just like everyone else defenitly want to get one.
But what do we do out our orignial Iphones?
I would sell it, but now the 3G's are going for so cheap I won't be able to do anything with it.
What are you guys ganna do w/ your old iPhone?

DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THAT THE $199 PRICE TAG IS FOR A TWO-YEAR CONTRACT ONLY?!?! LOOK AT THE 3G PRICES ON EBAY RIGHT NOW!! THEY'RE GOING FOR LIKE $750!

likeavaliant

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THAT THE $199 PRICE TAG IS FOR A TWO-YEAR CONTRACT ONLY?!?! LOOK AT THE 3G PRICES ON EBAY RIGHT NOW!! THEY'RE GOING FOR LIKE $750!

199 is the price for the iphone with two year contract. well below the original price point.

a 3g iphone on ebay? already? that makes a lot of sense... go buy from there. "idiot"

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
I would say sell yours on eBay unlocked and you can still get $300-$400 depending on the condition. Not unlocked typically gets $50-$75 less.

Take your earnings and use it to buy a new one and the extra pays for the higher costs of service. My 2 cents....

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
i believe you are the idiot.
199 is the price for the iphone with two year contract. well below the original price point.

a 3g iphone on ebay? already? that makes a lot of sense... go buy from there. "idiot"

Are you trying to make sense? There are tons of 3G iPhones on eBay already. How about using this.

And also, if you weren't required to bide into a two-year contract, it would be the same if not more money than the original iPhone.

likeavaliant

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
Are you trying to make sense? There are tons of 3G iPhones on eBay already. How about using this.

And also, if you weren't required to bide into a two-year contract, it would be the same if not more money than the original iPhone.

so you're going to pay a guy a ton of money to go to the att or apple store on the morning they are released to buy one and send it to you? he isnt saying it's unlocked. 3g iphones must be activated in store. its a waste of money. go buy one yourself that morning. whats the point?

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
so you're going to pay a guy a ton of money to go to the att or apple store on the morning they are released to buy one and send it to you? he isnt saying it's unlocked. 3g iphones must be activated in store. its a waste of money. go buy one yourself that morning. whats the point?

You have to get a two-year contract with AT&T with a SIM CARD, there is no tying in with the phone at all. All that these people are going to do is, go sign contracts, get the iPhone for $199, then just not use the service. AT&T is a GSM network......

kshap448

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Arkansas
3G Activation

Why are they taking a step back and activating the new phones in the stores? I thought that the activation process within iTunes was great. Please let me know if any of you have any information about this.

Thanks

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
I'm going to keep mine, my moms too. (We are both getting the 3G iPhone) But for $100, i don't think it's worth to sell, as we have 4GB phones, and it could make a great backup phone.

likeavaliant

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
You have to get a two-year contract with AT&T with a SIM CARD, there is no tying in with the phone at all. All that these people are going to do is, go sign contracts, get the iPhone for $199, then just not use the service. AT&T is a GSM network......

why pay somebody $300+ more to buy a phone for you when you could, in essense, do the same thing? is it because you dont want to get another contract? i'm seriously curious. the logic doesnt work for me.

Why are they taking a step back and activating the new phones in the stores? I thought that the activation process within iTunes was great. Please let me know if any of you have any information about this.

Thanks

its to combat people buying them up, unlocking them, and reselling for people on other networks.

STC

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I posted my jailbroken 8GB on iPhone on Craigslist for $300 after the keynote yesterday.
I got a few calls, 1 was serious.

At the end of the day i decided to keep my 1st gen iPhone. Reasons are:
I dont surf the web on the iPhone a lot, and when I do I do when I'm on a wifi network. I dont use GPS, i have one in my car already.

I might get a new iPhone in 6 months or so, but for now I'm happy w/ 1st gen.

supaflyryan

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
Does anyone know if someone buys a v1.0 iPhone from a previous owner, do they have to pay the new more expensive data plan from AT&T, or can they keep paying the existing cheaper data plan?

hotzenplotz

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
My wife and I are keeping our v1's for a good long time. That is until Apple decides to put in a video camera and preferably unshackle itself from the Death Star.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.