What are you 16gb wifi peeps experiencing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by danpass, May 4, 2010.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I wanted to ask specifically about this model.

Figure I'll finally just start with the 16W.

Enough?

Not enough?

"I NEED 3G!"

etc.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Please be more specific on your question. Experiencing? In terms of what?

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

great thread. :rolleyes:

as if the 16GB is any different than the 32/64 other than size?

4. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

5. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

I have the 16 gb what questions are looking to get answered? I have had zero wifi problems or any problems for that matter. I would love to have a 3G iPad just couldn't afford the extra money up front and the data fee. So I jail broke my iPhone and use miwi and love it I find I don't use my iPad on the go as much as i thought I would tho. As far as memory of course more is always better but I have yet to fill up my memory I currently have 1600 photos and 4 movies and 1.6 gb in apps and I'm about half full so still plenty of room. I went with the 16 gb cause it is so easy to transfer data back and forth between my iMac.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I originally had a 16GB WiFi. Storage was fine for me. 55 apps, 4 videos, 100 pics. No music. Still had 8GB leftover.

I decided to bump up to the 3G and wanted the 16GB but was sold out early. I bought the 32GB b/c it was that or nothing. It's so sad seeing all the empty space on my iPad now. YMMV. Depends on how much media you consume in a week.

7. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

that's what I'm hoping to see.

while the iphone is media capable I never really used it that way so I never filled up the 32gb of memory so I have no basis of usage.

8. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

What are YOU experiencing? ;)

I'm fine, thanks. It's an amazing device. I wasn't expecting it to be a huge storage space, so my expectations may be different than others' expectations. I don't want music on it, for starters - it's not an Ipod, and even the 64gb Ipad wouldn't store my 220gb music collection anyway (not that any Ipod would, but you get what I mean.) I have a good Ipod for that (160gb Classic) and I suspect Apple will supply me with a 128gb Touch in the fall so I can retire the harddrive based Ipods forever. A few dozen apps, and that's growing very slowly - can't see this being a device I will be addicted to apps like I was with the Iphone. I will only put movies on there when on a trip, which is once, maybe twice a year, so that's no big deal. I have a couple/few thousand pictures on there, and that accounts for the most space, plus that one free episode of Planet Earth or whatever, haven't even watched it. I still have 10gb free and no idea what to fill it with!

Edited to add: By the way, wifi-only model. I use this at home and bring it to work to sketch on once in a while (I'm a web/graphic designer.) Tiny, tiny wish to be able to send files to myself, but not enough to spend $130 more plus the monthly fee to do so. I would pay AT&T a very small amount extra for a tiny tethering budget. Like $5 to tether, send a file, then untether.

9. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

ok, its looking like 16gb wifi is adequate to hold me to rev 2 :D

10. mklnk macrumors regular

If you're only storing documents, books and photos, 16 Gigs should be plenty. If you rely on streaming over wifi with pandora, netflix, youtube, etc for music and video, the storage space should be no issue.

I originally considered getting a 16 gig 3G and using the "cloud" for storage, but opted for the 32 instead.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Initially I wanted the 16GB because price is the only thing on my mind, however there's no such thing as "Too much Storage", anyone who says that there is such a thing, they are just being cheap, although there's nothing wrong with being cheap if it suits you, but there's no such thing as too much storage. That being said I'm ordering the 64GB 3G. I plan on keeping it for a while and I need it for work purposes as well as personal.

12. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

13. Mshilling macrumors regular

I find it to be plenty. I dont ever see myself being gone long enough to need 16GB of media before I would be back home to change whats on there. With 600GB of music, its not worth finding a device to hold it so I stream it from home via ampache. I keep plenty of pictures on it but even that can be stored on picasa, drop box, or any other cloud service. If they made an 8GB one for 399.99 I would have probably bought that :)

14. RexySF macrumors member

I find 16gb to be fine. The only stuff I store on the actual ipad are media files that I want to watch while on a flight. Everything else I just stream. Air Video makes it very easy to have any time access to your entire video collection.

15. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

I have the 16GB wifi and it is going great. I have 2.5GB left and that is with the movies and music I want on my iPad already. Only problem I have is I am connected to wifi yet the wifi logo isn't appearing, neither does the loading icon. Any help?

16. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Love my 16GB WiFi. Loaded up most of the media I can possibly consume. 4GB of music, 3GB of TV shows, 2GB photos, 3GB iPhone/iPad apps, a couple of books, and I've got a little over 2 GB left.

I do wonder, hey, maybe the 3G will be good for me. It's only $130 more and no contract data plan! But then I get some sense knocked into myself when I realize-- damn, I already have to pay for my home internet, I have to pay for my school internet, and I have to pay for my BlackBerry internet. While I may have the cash to plop down another $130+$30 per month, it seems like a little overkill to pay for 4 "different types" of internet a month, no?

Also, it feels good to know that every other iPad model, 3G or not, is probably subsidizing my purchase ;)

17. cirial macrumors regular

16gb is perfect for what my families iPad is going to be used for. It was actually a gift for my wife's birthday, but its become just as mine as hers :D Shhh dont tell her that..

Shes got an iPod nano and I have an iPhone 3G, so those handle all the music we would want to listen to. Pandora works great on the iPad for just some background noise if we are cleaning, etc. Everything else gets plugged into our iHome alarm clock thingy.

Only thing we will have stored locally on the 16GB iPad are Apps. Video can be streamed from my NAS through any one of streaming video apps.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use about 5GB on my iPad right now; I don't have music or videos on it. I might actually be better off with the 16GB iPad.

19. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

Stop it. [​IMG]

I posted because the store down the street has 16Ws in stock. :D

20. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

I love my 16 gb Wifi, I do wish I had more storage now because I am loving the iPad games which after awhile takes up quite a lot of space.

I will swap out games/apps I don't use regularly etc to save space which is not a big deal. I also use Air Video, Abc app and Netflix to save on space.

Other than that, I adore it for web surfing, email, YouTube and using apps.

21. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

Maybe your next post can be from your new iPad!

22. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

ah-ha, fortunately I'm not into games (at least until SC2 is released [​IMG] lol).

23. aluren macrumors 65816

I bought the 16GB wifi thinking it'll be enough. But since I will be doing alot of web browsing, magazine and book reading, I've decided to upload some lossless classical music/movie scores for background music. My 16GB is instantly full. So I sold it on ebay and got the 64GB.

24. hippietech macrumors newbie

Gps

How's the turn-by-turn GPS performance?
    I read articles, stating that GPS on 3G model is more accurate and faster.
    Wondering if that's really noticeable.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no GPS on the WiFI model, so I'm pretty sure turn-by-turn navigation other WiFi only iPad is nearly impossible.