What are you doing for non-replaceable and non-updatable 32-bit apps with Catalina?

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by applCore, Jul 30, 2019.

1. applCore macrumors regular

applCore

You guys finding that Parallels and VMware are the only options for running 32-bit apps in macOS as a guest while running Catalina?

2. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

It's beginning to look that way as I'm not particularly fond of paying the ridiculous price for Parallels or VMWare. I'll probably go with VirtualBox which is free. It doesn't have all the frills and fluff but since I only need it to run maybe one or possibly two 32 bit programs, it will have to do.

3. gilby101 macrumors regular

One of the frills and fluff is clean pass through of USB devices (in my case scanner). That is generally more reliable in VMware. I have already configured a High Sierra virtual machine with known 32-bit apps.

4. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Does VirtualBox support Mojave? I don't see it listed on the website.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The question:
    "What are you doing for non-replaceable and non-updatable 32-bit apps with Catalina?"

My solution:
    I'm NOT UPGRADING to Catalina (at least not as my "main OS").

I bought a 2018 Mini for the specific goal of having some of the last hardware that will BOOT and run "in 32 bit mode" forever (under Mojave).

I have a considerable amount of "UN-replaceable" 32 bit software that I like and intend to keep on using into the foreseeable future.

I reckon I can get at least 6, 7, 8 years out of the Mini (and Mojave) before I'm forced to do anything. And since I'm getting on in years, the 2018 Mini may very possibly outlive me.

This doesn't mean I won't have an external drive with which to boot and run current versions of the Mac OS. I had the first developer preview of Catalina since the day it was announced. But it is NOT going to become "the internal OS" on this Mini.

That's how I'm doing it.
    I really don't worry about what others will do...

6. TETENAL macrumors regular

Just don't update. Mojave will be supported by Apple for two more years.

7. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

I really don't know but I intend to find out. I'm going to ask in their forums.

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

The only 32-bit app that I used regularly was iGetter. I haven't found a replacement for it that does all that it did for downloading multiple files at once with saved authentication to file sharing sites.

9. applCore thread starter macrumors regular

applCore

The big thing we have to push Apple to do now since they're slitting our proverbial throats is to implement accelerated video options for virtualization. Using some of the more graphics intensive 32bit apps on Parallels is going to be HELL with Mojave or any other macOS release that facilitates 32bit app execution. Apple needs to get its head out from between its legs and realize that they need to AT LEAST give us graphical acceleration if they're going to go this far with us.

10. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

find new apps. or stay with mojave (or whatever). am just suggesting: live in the real world... because expecting apple to accomodate your needs is not realistic.

11. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

As been said - it isn't as if Apple had not provided notice this was going to happen. If a app developer hasn't or isn't going to update it means they have just given up on that app and it wouldn't run soon no matter what Apple relented on.
    in some cases as in printer drivers I suspect the vendor is trying to push you into buying a new printer

12. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

So far, I only miss QuickTime Pro 7....I can not find anything else, that can easily, and simply trim portions of video without conversion. Also, easily rotate a video left or right with out conversion.

13. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

me too; i also used it sometimes to remove the audio track, for visual installations. it's easy to trim in QT now, but miss those other things.

now i open everything in FCPX; overkill for such small tasks....

14. applCore thread starter macrumors regular

applCore

Hey @fisherking I can't read your posts. Your avatar makes me want to vomit every time I see it. It and your attitude of just completely obliterated my ability to take seriously any of your remarks. Sorry.

15. fisherking, Aug 22, 2019 at 3:59 PM
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019 at 4:20 PM

fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

sorry, i can only write in english. plus, maybe consider that whining & bitching is NOT a constructive form of communication...

16. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

If you click on the username on the left you will see an Ignore option it works well and you will never see anything from him again once used.

17. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

OP’s over the top hyperbole aside, I’ve had pretty good experiences running macOS on virtualbox.

If your livelihood depends on 32 bit apps (rather than just convenient things that you can use virtualbox for), there’s really no reason not to head for greener pastures be it Windows or more modern apps from developers that haven’t abandoned their apps (usually for good reasons).

18. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

thanks for the tip, useful for me as well...

19. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Your welcome, I have used it a few times myself.

20. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

I also miss it. First thing to go was blocked Safari integration.