What are you doing to get ready for Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benjamindaines, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I have updated all my apps, cleared out a bunch of old data and apps I don't need anymore, picked out a cool new desktop image, and I will run a full hard drive clone right before installing.

How about you?

2. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

Backing up my iPhoto library, Mail, Documents, etc to DVD for read only backup.

Copying Home folder to an external drive. Will restore necessary folders (Documents, Pictures, Mail, etc.) to proper locations in Leopard from this.

Then doing a fresh install.

3. rmh macrumors regular

• Backed up my mini's HD, and formatted a new 250GB 2.5'' drive to clean install Leopard on
    • Backed up my MacBook's HD, so I can do a clean install on it as well.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'll just reformat and install from scratch. The good thing is I only use Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio 8 on my main system drive so it makes reformatting pretty easy. I can always back up the odd document on my scratch disk for an hour or so.

5. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

Buying a cage and bags of kitty litter :apple:

On the side of reality, I am going to max out my ram (3GB), wipe my external drive(to back up Tiger), and put up streamers to welcome home a new family member :D... ok maybe not the last part *shoves streamers away in corner*

6. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Made of clone of my internal drive using superduper.
    Synced my keychain, address book, etc. to .mac
    backed up photos, and documents onto dvd and also ipod for extra protection.
    Probably going to put 40GB music library on dvds for more protection against data loss.
    Going to clean install on MBP and then transfer over necessary files from external and reload MS office and other software from disc/internet.

Anyone know how to syne keychain from .mac once leopard is installed?
    Also, how do you backup mail messages?

7. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

Backup your Mail folder.

/Users/(your user name)/Library/Mail

Then put in back in the same spot in Leopard. Mail 3.0 should upgrade it.

8. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I am in the process of wiping my bay 2 harddrive, which had Windows XP on it. I will clean install Leopard on there.

As for Back ups, I have Chronosync backing up everyday and once a week to two external harddrives.

9. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Mentally preparing to buy a new MacBook whenever it's released.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

For my macbook pro - absolutely nothing. Everything is backed up to my iMac. So I'm just gonna pop the DVD in and do an upgrade. Come the end of exams I will do clean install on each machine backing up everything to external HD.

11. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Me too

Backing up with SuperDuper daily. Using .Mac Backup also daily, to external drives. And finally using DataBackup3 to an external drive. None of which I am sure will be needed as I plan on an Archive and Install; unless that goes butt up. But if so, I hope my photos, movies and music will be safe.

God help us one and all.

12. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

im going to do an upgrade or an archive and install - never done a upgrade on mac os so im a bit wary

13. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Omg

I totally forgot about the MBP I was focused on the two iMacs. Getting an external drive now, my MBP has bootcamp, so we will have to see what Archive and Install does... fingers crossed. I think I will SuperDuper it. I wish I could clone the entire drive.

14. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Well seeing as Im still on my PC and Im gunna get my MacBook with Leopard preinstalled Ive switched my browser from Firefox to Safari so that I can get a good build up of bookmarks to export to OS X and also copying my photos and videos etc to my external HD so that I can copy them over to le Mac and also pondering how Im gunna divvy up the external HD so that I can have a big enough chunk in HFS+ for TM and also leave enough to keep things backed up so that its accessible from my PC if all goes tits up on the Mac front.
    Interesting times ey ;)
    Im actually getting quite excited about my purchase now

15. bov macrumors 6502

i dont think im gonna do anything with my MBP

i just got it couple weeks ago so i dont have much on it except music and papers...

16. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I did an "erase and install" this morning on my Mac Pro and made a slightly early new year's resolution not to install all the usual crap .... :eek:

17. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

An erase and install of what? Do you have something the rest of us have to wait 'till Friday for...?

Steve.

18. Xavier macrumors 68020

Im preparing by putting my money aside before I use it on something else

I cannot wait for leopard

19. klb028 macrumors 6502

I would really like to do a Fresh Install, but I'm really worried about backing up everything because I'm on my first Mac ever (a C2D MacBook) and I'm not sure if I'll be completely getting everything I need. Also, I'm worried about the programs I have downloaded and paid for. How do I keep those safe? Just redownload and use the same email address or serial number I might've gotten with the program? I can't afford to repay for a program at the moment, haha. So many things to do!

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have to move some files from an external to my internal HD, then install Tiger on the external so that I can fresh install Leopard on it (I have ordered the uptodate disk), move some files over from the internal, install some apps fresh from the internet and then SuperDuper clone it back :)

I then have to do a similar process for my grandad, partitioning the internal for TM in the process...

21. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

Well, I removed UNO from both my machines, as well as Clear Dock. I just never feel right about upgrading the OS when I've got these little hacks running.

Then I scrubbed both systems with Cocktail, making sure everything was clean and ready. I dumped as much dead weight as I could from each system, got them both into perfect sync again (heavy use of DropCopy there), and did some off-system archiving to DVD.

Then I did full SuperDuper! backups of both my systems.

It has been so long since I put UNO onto the systems that I had forgotten how awful the brushed metal looks, ugh. I can't wait for Leopard! :D

22. klb028 macrumors 6502

Are you just going with the upgrade option?

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Absolutely nothing.

I can already restore from backups. :cool:

24. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Generally yes. Ideally you would keep the installer files so you don't have to redownload them, but your current serial numbers should work. Print the emails containing them and keep them safe.

25. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Are all of you really going to install Leopard right when it comes out? I think I am going to wait until January at the earliest. I am not saying its un-wise, but do you guys think there will be problems like Vista had? And no, I am not really comparing Leopard to Vista but thats always a problem with a new OS. Do you guys think there will be any problems for early-adopters?