What are you doing to this evening

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bruinsrme, Mar 13, 2011.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Me, I am counting down to 6:15am where I will be walking out of my job for the last time.
    The company is moving the manufacturing operations to China.

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Well thats some *****.... Sorry to hear that. Do you have another job lined up? Retirement?

3. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have interviews every day for the next 2 weeks.
    One opportunity looks very very promising.

3 years ago when I was looking to change jobs the interview process was far more professional.
    Never have I given or been in an interview with people dropping the f bomb and whatever else. Company's don't seem to care or at least want to take the time to tell you, you suck and we don't want you thank you for wasting our time.

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Want to share some of those interviews? I can't get any employer's attention because of me not being available on Saturdays because of school. I had a interview last tuesday and I should have got the job. I was qualified for it and had the experience and know how. The lady said she would call me that night or the next morning with a answer. I called her Thursday after not hearing from her and she said they picked somebody else.

Is it so hard to call and tell the person they weren't chosen?

5. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I was working a night shift Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday 6pm to 6am shift.
    So of course my prime sleeping time was during the rest of the worlds work day. If I got 4 hours a sleep a day I felt lucky.
    Since I am up at all sorts of crazy hours, I was able to apply to a lot of opportunities. Tuesday and Wednesday mornings were always hectic.
    As they would call I would set up interviews Wed, thurs, Fri.

The shorter interview was about 45 minutes.
    2 have been approached 6 hours.

the longer ones I was meeting with individuals and teams. The HR rep would be the first and last person I met with.
    In the wrap up where there was good vibes, I would always close with ensuring my contact information was correct.
    From that point on the only thing I have heard is crickets.

One job I was extremely interest in was about 70 minute commute, I was planning on getting a room in the area. In planning the interview the weather wasn't cooperative. The HR person and I worked for about 2 months in coordinating an interview time. Finally it happened and I made the trek to meet for the interview. Started the interview and it was a million reasons why I wasn't qualified for the job. I was very happy that I wasted the gas, my time, and a day off for that.

Another opportunity 2 interviews, the first 4 hours the second 5.5 hours. Never heard back. This was where I started to notice a different approach to interviewing.

I have reviewed thousands of resumes and have participated in almost 50 interviews at my last job; both phone and on site.
    Never would I swear and always tried to dress one level down from what I expected the candidate to be dressed.

I was in a conference room and an interviewer was negotiating with a colleague to do the interview instead.

Interviewers come in and say I really don't have anything to ask you. then I would sit there for 25 minutes waiting for the next person.

Interviewers with the resume of another candidate. Asking me for a copy of my resume because they didn't have time to print one out or didn't have the chance to review it.

Then the talk about compensation.
    What are your requirements?
    What did you make at your last job?
    How much you looking to make?

So if I tell you I disqualify myself right away.
    If I don't tell you, you will give me some unrealistic range.

It's crazy out there.

I had an awesome interview, thursday, Very professional.
    Great exchange of knowledge, backgrounds and they were interested what I could bring to the company above and beyond what the position entailed.
    the following day the HR group called and we did a second interview which included the benefits package details.
    Very professional, we had email exchanges that did n't take days or weeks.

I am hoping Tuesday's interviews are just as good.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

To answer your signature about people putting Apple gear in their sig, it makes it much easier to reference when talking about systems or performance. I'm always saying things like "The Mac Pro or MacBook Pro in my sig runs [insert software here] just fine".

Anyway as for what I'm doing I'm brushing up on C++, OpenGL, Maya API, and OpenCL because there is a job at Weta Digital I want. I'm not qualified yet (I'm close) but am working hard towards getting that job :)

7. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

here is some things that I have experienced;

don't let your current qualifications stop you from applying.

couple of things to consider in your case.
    You can be had at a much lower cost.
    You may not have all the skills but the hiring manager may say, if i can save $20k and shift some of the lesser tasks from the seasoned software engineers and better utilize there skills and let the new guy break in.
    you never know what they are thinking.

As a tech I have a strong back ground in manufacturing, process, equipment and lean manufacturing . My skill set has priced me out of many jobs. Is my skill set desirable, absolutely. Do I sell my soul to get a job or hold out to continue on with my career? Sorry I just can't sell my skills for $15 without benefits.

However, if I move into biotech/manufacturing, my skill may get an interview. Will it command the kind of money I can earn now in my current? If I moved to NM, AZ or OR and stayed in my current industry I can command that kind of money, pick of shifts and functional area.
    However if I move into biotech 60% of my current salary will make me extremely happy. I have an all day interview with a pharmaceutical company on Tuesday, results of nearly 3.5 years of effort.

Today you can't predict what HR and the hiring managers will do.

HR did a phone screen at the beginning of February for a technician position.
    My candidate status changed from screening to on site interviews.
    Didn't hear back
    I applied against a supervisor position with the same company.
    HR called for a phone screen,
    We talked for about 10 minutes and the conversation turned.
    The HR rep typed in my name and saw I was waiting for an interview.
    She said "I am talking with the hiring manager tomorrow well call you back and let you know what job you'll be interviewing for".
    All I know is the email said please be here at 930, lunch will be provided.

Another opportunity
    I interviewed for one position and the engineering group practically threw me out, rightfully so.
    However, the production manager asked if things didn't work out if I would be interested in another opportunity in his group. Haven't heard back but one of my colleagues is interviewing for the same position. I shared everything I knew about that position. I think I just saved a bridge.

You just never know.

you may get an email from a friend, there is a position that we need to fill, the job is yours if you want it. No face to face interview just a brief phone call.

Consider the following;
    it's not necessarily what you know but who you know.
    right place and time
    if you don't ask the answer is no.
    If you ask, be prepared to hear yes.
    If you ask for an opportunity and it's offered, saying know can be bridge burning especially in small industries. Every industry is small.
    Put yourself in the hiring teams shoes, how do you want a candidate you are calling to behave/respond/communicate.

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

That sucks, but I hope it works out. I haven't been in the job market for over 5 years now but I'm about to be thrown back into the fray. I'll need to brush up on my interview skills all over again.

9. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

Good luck with your search. I hope you find something that meets your needs. I had my last job outsourced to India so I know how it feels!