What are you doing with your old 2G Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richxps, Jul 22, 2008.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Hi all, Im one of the people that had the original Iphone and got the 3G. Im not sure yet if i should sell my original iphone or just hang on to it for a ipod or just a back up phone.
    What are you all doing with your original iphones ?

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'm gonna keep on using it... :D

I just got free txt's to every network in Ireland. There's no way i'm changing to O2 now if i'm going to lose that.

(My iPhone is jailbraked (jailbroken?) for use on Meteor)

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I was originally planning on keeping mine as a backup, but given the resale prices that the old iPhones are fetching on eBay, it seemed silly not to take advantage of that. Unlocked iPhones are fetching $450 to as high as $650. So I went ahead and sold mine. At the very least, you could quickly flip your old iPhone on the same day you post it on eBay and more than recover the cost to upgrade, even making up a bit for the increase in the data plan price.

Apple products have been known to fetch good resale value over time, but this is ridiculous! :)

Unless you have a real use for your old iPhone, or have a need for an unlocked one (3G is not yet unlockable), I would unlock your old iPhone, and sell it if it's in good condition. It's not hard to do. I have a feeling that once they figure out how to unlock the 3G version, the resale prices for the old ones will drop like a rock.

4. profetto macrumors regular

My first generation iPhone is a jailbreak, I live in Canada so we never had the iPhone until now. But lets be realistic, I can't bear to part with my baby.

So I gave the phone to my fiance to use while I use my iPhone 3G. We're like one big happy iPhone family now! :D:D

5. timecmdr macrumors newbie

Will o2 unlock my old iPhone or do I need to jailbreak it to give it to someone on another network.

6. surroundfan macrumors 6502

Hanging on to mine too, because Optus here in Australia is allowing me to use it (being jailbroken and unlocked) on an iPhone plan, so I get 100MB of data in addition to the $19 cap plan I already had, saving me the $14.95 I was paying for 200MB of mobile data. :D

As a result, I will wait for the third gen model.

7. profetto macrumors regular

I think a jailbreak is what you need.

8. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

If you buy a new iPhone on O2 in UK, the person you pass your old phone to can buy a Pay & Go SIM card - so effectively it is unlocked. Not sure about elsewhere though.

Looks like if you have any doubts about being able to afford an iPhone for the duration of the contract that the resell prices will bail you out of the cancellation fee. In fact, if there was never any promise of a PAYG phone then it could be an endless party - each year sell the phone from the last year and recoup a good percentage of your costs before taking out a new one. No other cell phone maker can promise that.

9. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Not going to sell for a bit...mines working great on the 2.0 software and a CPWH O2 sim @ £5 a month for 275 mins and 250 txts.
    Might swop for a PAYG 3G on O2 later in the year if the price is right.

10. WHM macrumors regular

I could not help but to sell.... we had 3 and sold them all very quickly for much more than the new 3G iPhones. As good as the going prices are I could not justify keeping a phone that is now out of warranty just for a back up. If the new phone has a problem it is covered under warranty for another year and another may be out by then. If you can pay for a new phone with cash left over it's a no brainer!

11. iflipper macrumors member

mine's sitting on my shelf as a backup. I've not updated to 2.0 though as I still have vague ideas about jailbreaking it. I guess I could sell but I do like the idea that I've got an alternative if I need it.

12. joeconvert macrumors 6502

Using it. I was planning on upgrading, but the lines at the local Apple Store were unreal the 2 times I tried. By the time the rush dies down, I might as well wait for the next one.

13. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

14. Cask Guest

I was planning to keep it. But as soon as I put it in mercado libre (Mexico's Ebay) I got like 700 USD for it. So it went out really fast.

15. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It has to be an O2 pay as you go card though :)

16. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Any O2 sim, contract or PAYG.

17. SCStevens04 macrumors member

Come on, you guys need to start flooding the market with the old ones so that I can get one at a reasonable price! ;)

18. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

Well im torn should i sell mine or keep it. The one thing i like about it is the metal back, but now having the 3g for over a week im getting to like the black.
    I may just sell mine as well. What do you guys think i can get for a few month old 16G , mint condition with Vaja Top SP case, Incase leather pouch, Invisible Shield, apple screen protector and Dock ?

19. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

at least $400. try craigslist. hundreds of people want them

20. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

21. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Keeping it, currently using it as a media player...

22. jaglad macrumors member

I sold mine, now really really wish I hadnt, I dont like my iPhone 3G at all, I much preferred my old one.

23. BettaMin macrumors newbie

original 8Gig sold in 10 mins on ebay w/out charger, or dock.
    "buy it now" for 350.00 USD.

24. Mattwood macrumors member

Mattwood

I have 2 first gen (2G) iPhone's now I have my 3G, I'm selling one and the missus is keeping one.