What are you favorite DS games?

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I recently purchased a DS Lite (White) and two games for it: Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time and Pokemon Pearl version. Both are fun and interesting but I'm looking to buy some more. Especially those who use Wi-Fi technology because playing with my friends from all over will make the game last longer in my mind. :)

What are some games you would recommend to me that you find to be your favorites?

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
MarioKart, Castlevania DS, and C:poR are in my tops. I also really enjoyed Magical Starsign and Tetris DS. Overall, there are lots of great games available for the DS.

<]=)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Too many to list. But my overall faves are...
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl - Not brilliant, but very addictive.
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Meteos
New Mario
Yoshis Island DS (grew up me)
Tetris DS

Oh I give up already.

HungrySeacow

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
West Palm Beach
It would be a close call between Yoshi Island DS, and New Super Mario Bros. (I really love platformers)

Then Mario Kart, and Super Mario 64.

The game that will most likely take the number one spot will be Zelda when it is released in October!

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
New Super. Mario Bros., definitely. You might also want to try the Super Princess Peach game, which offers a Mario-like style with some different variations.

Mario Kart DS is a must buy, IMO. Also works with WiFi.

Animal Crossing was also pretty good, you might want to give that a try. Works with WiFi.

Big Brain Academy and Cooking Mama are quick pick-up-and-play games that each have their quirks and are pretty amusing & fun.

Also take note that there is a web browser for the DS that works pretty well, although it is really, really, slow.

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
Club house games (42 all time classics)
Brain age
More Brain age
Tetris

They are my most played and favorites on the DS

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I tend to play these the most:

New Super Mario
Brain Age
Mario Kart

But I also enjoy FFIII, both Castlevanias, Trauma Center, Ace Wright, Bomberman, Yoshi, Metroid, etc...

Paul

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
My favorites are all that I own: Resident Evil: DS, Mario Kart DS, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Tony Hawk's American Sk8land, and New Super Mario Bros. I would also recommend Brothers in Arms.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i have to say my favorites so far are new super mario bros, brain age/big brain academy (kinda go together), tetris, planet puzzle league and mario kart. the last three are great over wifi.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
WiFi Games: Clubhouse Games and Mario Kart DS.

Advance Wars, Sonic Rush, and Elite Beat Agents are both enjoyable non-WiFi games.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Advance Wars (By far my favorite)
Age of Empires
Catlevania(s)
Puzzle Quest

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart
Tetris
Brain Age

those are my favs.

any other awesome puzzle games out there, like Tetris? easy to just pick up and play for a short time and then come back to?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Advance Wars...for the love of God...this is a jewel of a game, that doesn't not get effort attention(its getting more, but it was on the GBA, GBC and even SNES in Japan)

NSMB, Kirby SS, Mario Kart, Tetris

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Advance Wars...for the love of God...this is a jewel of a game, that doesn't not get effort attention(its getting more, but it was on the GBA, GBC and even SNES in Japan)
Glad to see another Advance Wars fan. I've put so much time into this game and yet I still can't beat all the war room maps. It's a great pick-up-and-play game. The difficulty of some of the maps might be a little annoying for the lest committed gamers.

The "Nintendo" Wars franchise dates back to the original Famicom (NES) in Japan (Famicom Wars). It will be celebrating it's 20th anniversary next year.

Advance Wars DS 2 can't come soon enough. It has already been announced for Winter 2007 in Europe. I haven't heard anything for North America.

For the original posters's benefit, here is metacritic's list of the Top-10 best DS games:

1. Mario Kart DS [91]
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike [90]
  3. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow [89]
  4. New Super Mario Bros. [89]
  5. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan [88]
  6. Meteos [88]
  7. Elite Beat Agents [87]
  8. Planet Puzzle League [87]
  9. Kirby: Canvas Curse [86]
  10. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time [86]

_

Attachments

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I find the few mentions of Kirby Canvas Curse disturbing, everyone should own this game.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
My most played are:
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros.
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Phoenix Wright 1 & 2 (I can't believe no one has mentioned these yet!)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Pokemon: Diamond

But there are many more great games, between me and my brother we have 37 DS games!

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
I find the few mentions of Kirby Canvas Curse disturbing, everyone should own this game.
I bought it, finished it and thought it while at first the drawing on screen was genius, by the time I had finished the game i was bored with it, and it couldnt mask what was otherwise a pretty bland game.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
it doesn't come out in the us for a while, but i'm very hopeful for picross. i'm reading amazing things about it at ign.

bl0nde_uk

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2005
My favourite 5 games that I've bought and played to death are (no particular order)

Mario Kart DS
Elite Beat Agents
Picross
New Super Mario Bros.
Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Right now I'm having some nostalgia fun with Theme Park and SimCity. Hotel Dusk was also very good if you like that sort of 'interactive book' feel. It's just got a very good story.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Posted before but now I am hooked on Bomberman. First bought it and didn't play it for months. Bought a used copy and didn't have the instructions and had never played one before. Just beat it last night and it's the perfect game for me. Short levels that constantly change. Ability to save out after only a couple minutes for short sky train rides. Fun gameplay. Anyone play online?

Paul