What are you getting your grandma this christmas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Dec 3, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Both of them are always the toughest to shop for.

Last year I got them both humidifiers.

Humidifiers!

I have no idea what to get them. I only ever see my grandma(s) reading the bible. I've always wanted to get them an iPad but whenever they mess with mine they think its so complicated and see no real use for it. I mention to them the bible app, but she ponders why.

I can understand that.

2 X-Mas' ago I got them each a gift basket (from Target) each filled with like women stuff; such as moisturizers, exfoliators, scrubs, etc.

Just thought i'd ask for advice, figuring i'm sure i'm not the only one in such a jam.

Aside from the grandmas, I still gotta find something for my aunt (probably an iPod Shuffle), my mom (no clue), and my dad (probably an apple tv)...

As for the Apple TV, I may go for the 1st gen, considering I know he'll never uses iTunes on his old Windows laptop and the old ATVs can hold a bunch of movies, of which i'll add from my iTunes and present to him.. My only concern is is the old ATV can do HD Netflix and HD YouTube..

But I digress. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Probably an iPad. Her Windows PC I got her about 7 years ago is coming to the end of it's life. She needs something simpler.

3. keen-on-mac-1 macrumors member

keen-on-mac-1

wow, you sure are buying some nice but expensive gifts for your family.

And for a grandma I think the best present is to spent some good time with her family. :)

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I don't buy presents for anyone. Christmas should not be about crass consumerism.

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, but as an expression of love and caring it can be a very generous act.

I buy presents for my wife, children and parents with the idea that I'm not increasing their materialistic desires but showing that I love them. that doesn't have to mean I buy them a TV, but other thoughtful gifts.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

There are better ways to show your family you care for them than physical goods. I prepare the food for the family diner, I made Roasted Duck with tons of fruits last christmas, this year I'm in charge of desert.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes there are but that doesn't mean buying them something is particularly bad. I find that there are different ways to express your love and purchasing something is but one.

9. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I find that purchasing something is not a way of expressing any kind of love, but feel free to believe in consumerism.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Feel free to believe in being cheap.

11. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

What would Jesus do?
    Make a donation to a charity in each of their names. Maybe a christian one, or if they go to church, one associated with their church.

12. keen-on-mac-1 macrumors member

keen-on-mac-1

This is definitly a good idea! I'll probably do that myself.

13. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I like to buy things for others that they would not buy for themselves, but that I think would be useful and/or appreciated. It can be very hard. Since I don't have a job this year, it's cool and crazy cards from Cracker Barrel! :D

Edit: (forgot my suggestions!) Lighted magnifying glasses, reference materials, gift certificate to a Christian bookstore, and I like the donation idea as well. I have always wanted one of those Bibles with several translations side by side in the text. But I use my computer now and take it to church with me, so I don't really feel the need to have one any longer.

It's not up to any of us to decide what Christmas is about for other families. I like your traditions, but my kids wouldn't! I love watching them open their presents. :)

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Don't get me wrong, the kids get presents. I don't buy presents for my GF (she's spoiled enough year long), parents, grand-parents or any other adults. I prefer to serve them a nice diner in a warm and friendly house where everyone can just be together. Buying trinkets is not love, that doesn't mean being cheap. Throwing these family parties is quite expensive.

But of course, some people think that if you don't buy trinkets, you're just being cheap. Obviously, a lot of the believers in crass consumerism don't have imaginations. :rolleyes:

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Whatever dude :D

I don't have my parents or grandparents anymore, but I bought both my grown kids and spouses trinkets... uh, Apple TVs, something they wouldn't buy for themselves

16. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I agree with you on a certain level. I don't buy my parents gifts and my boyfriend and I will probably end up just doing things together instead of any gifts (can't speak for him, cause he has a tendency to try to surprise me, and he spoils me quite well all through the year too! :p)

But as far as the consumerism part goes. It's not bad for the economy as long as people don't spend beyond their means. When I was working I would buy gifts for my friends and family all through the year and just wait to give them to them at Christmastime. It worked well for me, and I never felt stressed out because of the money. I certainly don't believe that anyone should feel pressured to put themselves in a bad situation because of having to "buy Christmas" for others. (I hate that phrase.)

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

wow, so you're indoctrinating the kids into consumerism :rolleyes:

18. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I read this as YOUR spouses! :p

19. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Indeed. Except try to explain what consumerism is to 7 years old. :rolleyes: They'll get it later on.

As for this thread my point is this : How about instead of trinkets, you just go see your Grandma, spend a few hours with her and cook her some lunch. That's a much better present she'll appreciate instead of an iPad. Gifts don't need to be bought.

20. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

My daughter, when she takes the time, is quite a poet and an artist. I got her a calligraphy kit one year and she made personalized gifts for our family from her. They were very special gifts, and there wasn't a dry eye in the room. Me, I'm not creative or artistic.

21. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

Maybe you could buy them tickets to a play or symphony going on in your town. I'm taking my girlfriend to see Beauty and the Beast at the Ziff Ballet Opera House in downtown Miami. They get a wonderful experience alone with time spent with their grandchild. :)

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nobody said they NEED to be bought. I don't feel obligated to give to my kids, my GF or my spouses :)
    I give because I want to give and I enjoy it, not out of "crass consumerism", whatever the hell that is in your world

Every situation is different and every family is different
    If you don't care to buy for your loved ones, that is your choice
    But to characterize everyone else who enjoys it as falling prey to "crass consumerism" is a little judgmental IMO

If I had a grandma that could use an iPad, you better believe I would get her one
    If she had no use for one, I wouldn't, but I would express myself in some other way
    That may or may not involve a present
    But I refuse to feel guilty if it did :)

23. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

WOOOOOSH. Did you miss my point on purpose ? :rolleyes:

I didn't mean that you have to buy gifts, I meant that a gift is not necessarily something you've bought in a store. A gift can be simply being there with someone and spending time with them. It can be something you make.

Both good examples of "not buying trinkets" yet still offering presents/gifts.

24. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It also doesn't mean that buying trinkets isn't not showing someone love. It all depends on one's motivation. I could cook someone a nice dinner but wish I didn't have to. That's not showing them my love.

Anyway, I give my grandmother (one left) and other adults in our family family photos and they love them every year. That's most likely because almost no one else in the family gives them current/updated pictures yearly. It helps when you live far from most of your family.