What are you getting your S/O for XMas...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MultiM, Dec 17, 2009.

1. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

and what are you asking for?

I'm just curious if people are more practical or frugal this year. I got my wife some perfume, black pearl earrings, stupid expensive makeup brushes (had instructions on those) and the Beauty and the Beast DVD collection. Some other minor things for her stocking.

Last year I said I didn't want anything and that's mostly what I got. This year I'm asking for a new stylish winter coat, the new apple mouse (any thoughts?) and a remote starter for the truck. It's been bloody cold so far this year.

I'm being less practical and frugal, by the way. How about you???

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Usually it's easy to buy for my wife, since I just get her lots of jewelry. However, I guess I've spoiled her, since she has most everything and now says she's rather have a new dining room set or a new bed. Ugh!

I only want practical gifts or games.

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The spouse and I are not exchanging gifts. We have transitioned to being a one income household this year and that means tightening up the budget. We are spending money on our children, other family members, and plane tickets to spend the holiday with family. The hundreds spent on plane tickets makes it rough, but I guess being able to do that is really our gift to each other.

4. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Getting my husband the blu-ray player he's been wanting for forever.
    I know he wants it to have wifi so he can watch youtube videos on the 50" inch :rolleyes: Other than that, I don't know what else is important about these things. Oh, and I'm also hoping to keep the cost at around $150, with $200 being my max :eek:

Some suggestions on brands, etc would be nice :)

5. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

You're going to have a hard time finding a wireless wi-fi player. Most of them now have Netflix, Youtube, Amazon VOD, etc. My step-mom called me the other day wanting to know what player to get my dad for Christmas. They had tried an Insignia WIRELESS model that I found them for 150, but it wouldn't work with Fios. So.... All in all, I told them I'd run the ethernet cable for them, they get their Netflix and Amazon, and I recommended the SONY 460. It's under 200, even at best buy. You have to run the cable, but at least the speed will be faster.

(edit)

If you need the Wireless, nothing is better than the Playstation 3...

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ Actually the new samsung is $150 and has wifi.

I'm getting my spouse a new spouse. I'm such a giver.

I am of course, thank God, not married.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

We're both Scrooges, don't do Christmas, don't do gifts anymore. :(

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

She asked for a Nintendo DSi so I got her a pink one plus some games. I even wrapped it. :D

She got me a 50in 1080p plasma and wifi enabled blue-ray player which is to be delivered on Sunday. Oh yeah.

The Samsung BR player was $229 at Best Buy and has netflix, blockbuster, pandora, and Youtube, with a wifi usb dongle.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

We're being more frugal than in the past. We've never used Christmas as a time to give big, expensive gifts. If there's something we want that costs hundreds of dollars, we discuss it, plan for it, then decide if we can afford it. That approach allowed us to put two kids through college without loans they'd have to repay. We're rich, but not filthy rich!

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No BF at the moment! I'm off the hook! And I'm OK with that! :D

11. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

My wife has already opened her main Christmas gift: a new 32Gb iPod touch, from her mom. Ostensibly, it was for both of us, but she'll be its primary user. My "gift" to her was helping her set up iTunes on her PC, HandBraking her favorite DVDs and getting it connected to our wireless network so she can browse the App Store from the device.

We've agreed not to buy each other a gift, but our daughter wants to get each of us a little token, so I'm taking her today to get her mom a portable booklight. Also, I've transferred an old VHS tape featuring her late father and his family onto a Lightscribe DVD. It didn't really cost me anything but time, and I thought it would be a good idea to preserve the footage in digital format.

12. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

I've just bought the Sony BDP-S360 to give my other half this Christmas. It's got some good write-ups and is around $125 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S360-1080p-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B001URWAYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261147513&sr=8-1

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Tiffanys necklace. Not that expensive, I am again a full time student.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I am gift wrapping my Johnson™. I hope she's happy.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'm wrapping myself in ribbon. I hope he's happy. :D

(OK, so we're actually buying something together. Something for both of us.)

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We're not getting each other much this year since we're both saving. And then next year we'll both be paying off student loans :eek:.

17. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

That's a virtually guaranteed hit year-round, even if he's a sports nut. The Super Bowl and FIFA World Cup finals can wait a couple of hours. :D

Most of us men have no problem whatsoever with our partner initiating the "action;" it makes us feel wanted and desirable.

/surrenders "guy" card

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

You mean like this:

[​IMG]

I couldn't find any pictures that I thought would truly demonstrate what you are describing here iBlue. I think you're going to have to upload some of the "real thing" in order for us to really understand what your are talking about. Consider it a Christmas present to the MR community even though we won't be able to unwrap it. :D

19. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Not wife, but for my girlfriend I'm getting a heart monitor watch (she's been hitting the gym, we are going on a big hike on February and she needs to improve her physical condition), a Mafalda daily planner, and a universal remote control (she lost her TV and DVD controls when she moved to her new apartment).

I try to give her practical things I know she needs/wants and will use. And all those things came in at under $100, so I think it is appropriate, with the economy as it is. :)

20. tman07 macrumors regular

My girlfriend wanted me to pamper her, so im getting her a massage and a manicure.. and an ipod nano arm band for the ipod I bought her for her birthday. haha.

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Haven't quite decided on what to get for my girlfriend. Might want to get on that. Hmm. :eek:

22. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Their actually just wi-fi ready, the 1600, 3600, and 4600. So, you have to drop another 80+ for the dongle. Unless there's a model I'm missing?

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think you have to get the dongle on the Samsung 1600, but the 3600 has it included.