What are you going to do until the 2013 upgrade of the Mac Pro?

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
1,358
2
Deep Space
Those of you who have limped along on outdated equipment, waiting for the Mac Pro update that didn't come...

... and will come in 2013: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12...c-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/

What are you going to do until then?

1. Are you going to get even more mileage out of your old Mac.

2. Are you going to buy a used/refurb Mac Pro of 2010, a mini after the upgrade, and limp along until the real upgrade?

3. Do you no longer believe in what Apple says and either go Windows, Linux, or switch to a MacBook Pro and an external hard drive array?

4. Do you need a new workstation so badly that you will order the current Mac Pro (possibly cursing when clicking the "order" button).
 

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
810
44
Pennsylvania
I'm going to take the roughly $1,000 Apple Store credit I have and get either a new 13" Macbook Air or the 15" rMBP.

I'm then going to figure out (or wait for someone to put out an easy to follow guide) how to use Chameleon boot loader and boot 10.8 on my now 8 core 1,1 Mac Pro. I'm nearly there, I just haven't figured out how to make it see any bootable partitions.

I will then stockpile money away for a true Mac Pro upgrade in 2013.
 
Comment

peabo

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
199
0
Well given that my old 2,1 is going to no longer be supported in ML, I've bitten the bullet and bought the top of the line 2012 'new' Mac Pro. If Apple comes out with something much better in 2013, I will probably sell it and re-upgrade. But this old thing is getting pretty slow with a lot of modern tasks and I need a new computer NOW.

If Apple discontinues the Mac Pro then at least I'll have the fastest one they ever made. If they introduce some kind of xMac with less cores for a cheaper price, this thing will last me a few generations into that I'm sure.

I'm not happy about this purchase at all, but needs must as the devil drives.

(and yes, I cursed all the way through the order process. it took me about 2 hours to finally click that button!)
 
Comment

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
2,310
369
Planning to make do with my current Macs, and I've just put some my Mac Pro fund towards a custom build Windows machine.

Was tempted to go all out on the new MacBook Pro but I need to stay sensible :p
 
Comment

bengi

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
116
4
just ordered a 512 GB ssd for my Mac Pro early 2008 and probably buy a new MBP.

Then wait and see.

Ben
 
Comment

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
2,997
1
Texas
Planning to make do with my current Macs, and I've just put some my Mac Pro fund towards a custom build Windows machine.

Was tempted to go all out on the new MacBook Pro but I need to stay sensible :p
That looks like the way to go. I am doing the same. I need workstation GPU support and OS X just does not offer it.
 
Comment

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
618
1
It depends on when in 2013. If it takes as long as I expect it to, I'll likely be considering offerings from Dell, HP and Lenovo instead.

For serious work, a 3-4 year, "Maybe we will, maybe we won't" update cycle isn't acceptable to me.
 
Comment

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
2,007
2
New England
Bought a "2012" hex-hore yesterday. Lucky for me, apple.com still had it listed as "new" at that time. I'm on hold with Apple customer service as I'm writing this. Let's see what I can wrench out of them. My options are complaints to BBB, Commerce Dept., all the way to a class action suite. Wish me luck. At the very least, I'm hoping I'll get free Applecare.

----------

Still on hold. I'm all the way up to tier 3. Things are looking up :)
 
Last edited:
Comment

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
1,141
2
Will buy 4GB RAM and a new drive for my ancient macbook aluminum to limp around for one more year.
 
Comment

Superfly503`

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
22
0
I have a Mac Pro 1.1 (2x 2.66 dual-core) that I've read will barely handle Lion. I'm going to sniff out a newer used Mac Pro on craigslist, probably a 4.1 or so. I think I can find that for under $2k, and that will get me by until I know for certain if a truly NEW Mac Pro is coming, and allow me sufficient time to decide whether or not to stick with the Mac platform. A lot of people talk about that being an easy switch, but in a work environment with decades of archives and thousands of dollars in software. That, and I abhor working in Windows.
 
Comment

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
2,007
2
New England
Bought a "2012" hex-hore yesterday. Lucky for me, apple.com still had it listed as "new" at that time. I'm on hold with Apple customer service as I'm writing this. Let's see what I can wrench out of them. My options are complaints to BBB, Commerce Dept., all the way to a class action suite. Wish me luck. At the very least, I'm hoping I'll get free Applecare.

----------

Still on hold. I'm all the way up to tier 3. Things are looking up :)

Level 3 talking to level 4 -- I'm sensing something good :D
 
Comment

Jst0rm

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
121
0
2009 4,1 mac pro $1000
24gb of 1333ghz ram = $270
w3680 3.33ghz cpu = $500

A 3.33ghz 6 core 2010 24gb of ram computer for $1770

Eat a dick apple.
 
Comment

InuNacho

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2008
1,456
600
In that one place
Probably get one of the last 17 inch MBPs and wait for a true successor to the Pro. I've abandoned my idea of a used 09 Pro and am just gonna wait and see.

My original plan was to get an 09 Pro and hold onto my 08 Macbook for another two years before getting a 2014 17 inch. The 17 inch is being axed so I'd really like to get one before they all vanish from the face of the earth.
 
Comment

mcl9449

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2007
2
0
Phoenix
Continue with what works well...

I'm sure my 2008 Quad 2.8GHz, 16G RAM, 7TB HD + 256 SSD Boot, with triple 26" monitors will serve me well 'til something truly significant is released. :)
 
Comment

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
2,007
2
New England
Level 3 talking to level 4 -- I'm sensing something good :D
Level 3 CS is mounting a futile (I think) resistance, saying that the "previous" model offered only up to 16GB of memory, whereas the "new one" offers up to 32GB. I sent him back to level 4. There is no way this is going to fly in a court of law (physically this is the exact same machine Apple was selling on Monday).


EDIT:

After all this, they offered me $50 towards a future purchase. I did not take it. I can't believe what morons Apple has working there! Level 3 guy had absolutely no grasp of the MP line. Level 2 girl kept mentioning the iMac, despite my numerous attempts to correct her. I've lost fate :(
 
Last edited:
Comment

nycaleksey

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
56
0
I have a Mac Pro 1.1 (2x 2.66 dual-core) that I've read will barely handle Lion.
I had an MP1,1 2x2.0 (now upgraded to X5365s) and run Lion perfectly fine on it. Saw no difference in performance from Snow Leopard. So it will handle any OSX except for ML just the same. ML is different because it has no 32bit kernel.
 
Comment

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
2,540
617
bleep
5. Build a kick-ass dual-CPU Sandybridge Hackint0sh
6. not give :apple: anymore $$$ after this fiasco
 
Comment

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
7,637
1,734
Isla Nublar
The only Mac Pro I have is the one in my sig and I'm quite content with it. Its still super fast for all the ********* I throw at it.
 
Comment

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
810
44
Pennsylvania
Regarding the performance of the 1,1 Mac Pro with an SSD, enough RAM and something other than the 7300 NVidia the thing does everyday computing very fast and lion runs fantastic.

I've put an SSD in mine, a Radeon 4870 and 10 gigs of Ram. On the old 5150s it ripped a Blu Ray to 720P in two hours. Haven't tried it with the 5355s yet.

The things that make this or any recent machine feel slow are non SSDs, lack of RAM and a slow video card rendering UI transitions choppy...
 
Comment

Apple-Guy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
55
74
Belgium
@op a combo of 1, 2 and 3

i currently have an early 2008 MacBook Pro Penryn 2.5 Dual and it's struggling since i recently got in the video editing/rendering and 3D branch

it doesn't help that for my studies i will need a stronger computer for sure (which starts late this year) so i cannot wait till 2013 (sadly)

so i'm building a windows machine and hope it lasts a year, then i'll get the mac pro, if... it is not delayed for another year.....

i'll also keep using my MB P because i can't stand the windows OS

Regards,

Apple-Guy
 
Comment

randy771

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
14
0
A brief step out of the Mac Pro forum

I have a MP 1.1 -> 2.1 with a dual quad 2.33 upgrade, ssd, 14GB/mem and a RD 4780. It also will not support the ML upgrade. I have loved this system for exactly 4 years and 11 months but it must retire.

Today I purchased a refurb'd iMac, 3.4ghz w/ 256Gb SSD and a 24GB mem (upgrade procured from OWC). I also picked up a second TB monitor and a Pegasus 6x2TB raid with the LaCie Esata hub so that I can keep using my 10TB back up raid.

I got a fair deal on the iMac and invested heavily in TB technology, If and when the Mac Pro gets a refresh I can "hopefully" leverage the TB pieces (like I had hoped to till approx 2:00CST on Monday)

The $2300 iMac refurb was a compromise but I could not bring myself to support the lame MP non update. I figure that I might even be able to get a reasonable price for the iMac this time next year and have a partial down for the next MP release. At the end of the day, I was spending way to much time checking this site for an upgrade and not enough getting other stuff done. In a huge way it was a ton of relief to finally just "do something"...
Apple got my cash anyway but the thought of Windows made writing the check an easy thing.

In the mean time, I have trolled this forum for years and have really enjoyed it. I have learned a lot from you folks and enjoyed the witty banter. See you on the iMac page and hopefully back here in 2013(?)

RR
 
Comment

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
230
0
I'm going ahead with my windows workstation build. I need a serious motion graphics workhorse and am not willing to buy an infrastructure based on old standards.

Apple may some day win me back, but it would take an insane high end wow factor as im pissed about moving and don't take it lightly. They would have to show some serious dedication to r&d for workstation development and after the past few years I have serious doubts that that will ever come to fruition.

The whole 'update', retraction, leak, and statement over the past 24 hours seems to lack the conviction and cojones that were the trademarks of Jobs leadership. Heads would be rolling right now. Maybe this is just a hiccup and learning curve. I'm moving over to a stable upgradable predictable platform for now. From there I will stop stressing about crap like this and can watch how the dust settles over the next two years and make a better informed decision as to whether or not Apple has lost me for good.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.