What are you going to do with your current 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fox777, May 2, 2009.

1. fox777 macrumors regular

fox777

Hey guys. I was wondering what some of you doing about your current 3Gs... I am thinking whether i should sell my phone right now while new one is not even announced yet and price is pretty good. Or wait til they announce it and know the release date for sure but then prices on 3G will drop a lot because i'd say there will be tons of people trying to get rid of their phones so they can get new one...

So the question is - should i sell my 3G right now while price is good or wait til they announce it/it comes out and then sell my current Iphone probably really cheap..?

Also for those people who sold their 1G last year to get new one. Did price drop by a lot when they announced 3G coming out?

2. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Price for the 1G iPhones have actually gone up, if I remember correctly. They have cheaper data plans which saves you ALOT of money in the long run. As far as selling your 3G just because you want the newest one, you'd probably get the best price by selling it right now. But maybe you should give some serious thought before you decide that your 3G is worthless just because Apple is releasing something new (which no one knows for sure that they will). As far as anyone knows, Apple may just come out with a software update for the 3G phones. On the other hand, I'm eagerly anticipating the possibility of a new iPhone this summer myself. My wife currently has a 3G and I'm holding out for the launch of a possible new one in July, as my contract is up for renewal in June. Let us know how things turn out, either way.

3. jeremykyle macrumors regular

I'll be keeping mine. I paid $450 to get this thing so I am going to get my full two years out of it. I am not due for an upgrade until June of NEXT year at the earliest, so I may wait and take advantage of the next one that comes around. :)

4. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I skipped the 3G. I live in corn country, where 3G is but a dream.

The new iPhone should be good enough that I will upgrade. It will have new features other than just GPS.

My original iPhone will go in a drawer in case I do something heinous to my new phone.

5. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Never bought a 3G. I still have a first Gen 16GB .

6. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'll be giving it to my little sister. It's practically hers already. :):p

7. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I will probably jailbreak mine if I decide to upgrade. I work overseas and it would be great to be able to slide in simcards from whatever country I happen to be in. Right now it is an absolute necessity to have it up and running and I can't afford to worry about jailbreaking it now and whether or not it is going to work or not.

I know when the 3g came out they gave the subsidized prize to everyone upgrading from the 1st generation regardless of how much time they had left on their 2 year contract. Hopefully they will do the same thing this go around. I will not upgrade this time if they don't. I will just wait until next years upgrade, if there is one.

8. jeremykyle macrumors regular

If the new one is worth upgrading to and they did do the subsidized price for everyone, I bet there would be millions of less 3G's in the world. Including mine, maybe.

9. rednano74 macrumors member

Keeping mine! The new iPhone will not do anything much better that I really care about like video.

3.0 software is where it is at IMO.

Did anyone notice 400,000 AT&T iPhone accounts were dropped last quarter? :eek:

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Not to sound rude but you should really do some research before posting comments like this. Unless you're a fool (which I'm not calling you) a jailbroken phone can run just as smoothly as a stock phone with the added benefits of video recording, themes, and the modified springboard that everybody seems to be dying for around here.

If people would actually take an hour out of their time and give it a try there would be a lot fewer ill-informed opinions of the process. And I will literally laugh at you (this means anybody, not just you Castro) if you tell me you can't spare an hour.

11. matttye macrumors 601

I actually found the phone to be a lot more unstable with jailbroken apps running on it. I was restarting like 3 times a day compared to the once a month or so I restart my phone normally.

That said - I haven't jailbroken in about a year, so maybe the apps have gotten more stable.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Jailbreaking is nothing like it was a year ago. It literally takes five minutes to open up and as much time as you want to invest to dabble in the thousands of available modifications.

There's literally nothing to lose.

13. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

I will keep mine till my contract is up for renewal in November 2010. By than the 4th generation iPhone will be out. I don't see the point of buying a new iPhone every year. You're just throwing a lot of money at Apple and the providers. (If your provider offers only 2 year contracts like T-Mobile NL.)

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://www.howardforums.com/printthread.php?t=1520667
    From what the link says Q1 09
    1.6 million iPhones activated but total added subscribers only went up 1.2 million.
    But the activated includes apparently adds and upgrades, and the total added is net adds. (People leaving AT&T got deducted from this figure)

If there had been .4 million iPhone dropped accounts, it would have been much bigger news. iPhone is pulling in customers , a lot from other networks, not losing them for AT&T.
    e.g. NYT headline from April 23 article - Contracts for iPhone Ease Decline at AT&T.

15. redman042 macrumors 68020

For me it all depends on what the new hardware does. Buying a new phone every year may not normally be the best strategy. But, if the improvements are good enough, it will be worth it to me. I'm a very heavy user of my iPhone and if the experience is improved enough by the new hardware, I will get a lot of benefit out of it by purchasing now rather than waiting a year.

My top wish list items are better processor, battery life, memory, and bluetooth. Nice to haves include compass (for nav), improved camera (especially low-light performance) and video, and better screen.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Just curious why anybody would need a compass? Unless you hike a lot on the woods.

17. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

I plan to eat mine, I want my iPhone inside of me.

18. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Did you tape 2 8gb together?:D

19. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Jailbreaking/unlocking it then selling it on eBay. Quick way to turn a couple hundred bucks over.

20. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

As much as I'll probably be tempted to sell my 3G, I'll hold onto it until my contract expires at the end of December '10. And see what Apple is offering then in terms of the iPhone.

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm going to keep on using my 3G as I planned to do 4 months ago. Is this a trick question?

Anyways, with the way the competition has been heating up over the last few months, it's not going to be this coming iPhone that is the game-changer, but the next one (in 2010). The design and specs of iPhone that is coming out in June was probably finalized around the first of the year. I want the iPhone they begin to design over the next few months.

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've got a first-gen 8GB. Not sure what I'll do with it. It's in pretty good condition with just a few cosmetic scratches on the sides. I'd like to sell it, but I've heard a lot about people getting hosed trying to sell them on eBay. I'd like to find a local person to sell it to.

I know I won't use craigslist. Not smart to use a company that's trying to run you out of business.

23. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

BURN IT!! BURN THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

or Office Space it, take a bat to it!

or sell it to a friend, yea, probably that one.

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

They made them...

And I'll be keeping mine. Part of the reason why I bit on the refurb price from at&t for my 8 GB black is because the next one won't blow me away. I'm happy with the current iPhone.

25. Online macrumors member