what are you going to do with your old iphone 3gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newbuyer, Jun 16, 2010.

?

what are you going to do with your old iphone 3gs?

Poll closed Jun 26, 2010.
  1. keep it

32.5%
  2. sell it

64.9%
  3. recycle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. others

2.6%
  1. newbuyer macrumors member

if you are upgrading from iphone 3gs to iphone 4, what are you going to do with your old iphone 3gs?

1. keep it as a second (backup phone) ..?
    2. sell it ..? for how much & where (UK) ..? e.g. ebay, local..etc
    3. recycle it ..? e.g. O2 recycle
    4.other suggestions..?

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Trying to get at least $300-350 for my 3G. It's only 6 months old (warranty replacement) and is in absolutely amazing condition (always kept in a skin, never cases that always scratch it). I'll sell it on Craigslist.

3. Bakakage macrumors 6502

4. Hatfiem macrumors newbie

5. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Keeping it

I am keeping mine only cause a friend of mine had his 3G die on him and apple and AT&T left him without a phone for 3 days. So for work and other needs I will keep it for the oh no moment

6. Maaz macrumors 6502a

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Sold mine and luckily i got a nice return for it. Frankly it was the only way i could afford iPhone 4. It would've been the HTC Desire for me otherwise.

8. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

It will become my dedicated iPod and nav unit for my car. I already have the car kit all set up, but it's much nicer not to have to unplug/dismount everytime I'm in and out.

I will be setting up the iPhone 4 as a new phone so my 3GS will store all my app data. All of my important apps can either sync between devices or backup to the computer/server so I won't have to restore from a 3GS backup (I had significant battery life issues when restoring my 3GS from a backup of the original).

Finally, it will be my backup phone should anything happen to my new one.

9. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

More than likely keep it as a spare. Have had nothing but scammers on Craigslist.

10. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I was determined to sell my 3GS in order to fund my new iPhone, but I decided to keep it as a back-up and use it as an iPod Touch for now. I never use my "current" iPhone's iPod function as it drains precious battery life, so having a backup for iPod use is perfect for me. :cool:

11. aneftp macrumors 601

My wife and I both upgrade to the iPhone 4.
    She has the 16gn 3GS and I have the 32GB 3gs.

I am going to give my sister (who currently has the older 3G) my wife's 16Gb 3GS. It's practically brand new one month after warranty exchange.

Was going to sell my 32GB 3GS buy having a tough time selling it for at least $400 on craigslist. Don't really need the money but the market is flooded with 3GS.

So I will keep it as a spare and wait for the unlock and hack it a little. My 32gb is still in mint condition.

12. drober30 macrumors 6502a

Traded two in at Best Buy for $225 each.

$800 New Phones
    $450 Trade IN
    ---------------------
    $350 out of pocket for two new iPhone 4s.... $175 for each phone = less than lowest upgrade price.

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'll unlock mine (it's already jailbroken) and will sell it as soon as I get my iPhone 4. It's my only phone, so selling early isn't an option, unfortunately.

14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

That's what he said.

Sorry. :eek:

15. Jayman34187 macrumors regular

I'm keeping my iPhone 3Gs 16 gig. I'm not getting the iPhone 4. I even qualify for the swap out exchange for iPhone 4 because I got my 3Gs may 7th lol. Got 50 dollar credit towards AT&T bill for price protection and won't have to pay the 20 dollar restocking fee for iPhone 4 and won't need to buy another otterbox for defender. I basically save $120 keeping my iPhone 3Gs and this phone only a month old in mint cond and works great. I don't need the double sided camera and retina screen. The screen on this is very clear and easy to see. The new iPhone is awesome don't get me wrong but I don't need it. Besides that this phone proven reliable time and time again. No guareentee the new iPhone going to be built as good. A few drops and the screen ruined on it. Dunno

16. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Price appears to have dropped. Shows $275 tops now. I just want a legit place to sell it to. Don't want to be bothered with craigs or ebay.

17. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Keep it. I use my 2g & 3g around the house all the time....or for mp3 players....or just checking email from places

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

craigslist like I did with my 2G when I got my 3GS.

actually sold my 2G within minutes of getting my 3GS. That had worked our perfectly.

craigslist is great to sell things. Just follow the basics.

cash only
    local only
    have price finalized before you meet
    make sure product condition and everything is settled before you meet
    meet at a location that takes you a couple minutes to get to and have them call you when they are close and confirm their location so you don't waste your time
    stick to the above, did this many times and so far of maybe 100 sales over the years I've had no issues

19. the2352 macrumors newbie

Gazelle.com. They are offered $304 for my old 32gb 3GS a few weeks back. The offer is good for 30 Days so I accepted and now just waiting for my iPhone 4 to arrive to ship it out.

20. orange812 macrumors newbie

Just sold mine on eBay... Bought it a year ago for $300 and the auction finished for $405! It's a 32GB that I unlocked - which after doing a headache-inducing amount of research, literally amounted to downloading a program and waiting perhaps 15 seconds for the process to be complete.

I've never seen it before but the buyer used an e-check which is taking several days to process... although it does list him as a 100% seller starred rating and a verified PayPal user.

21. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Selling my 3GS and 3G. Not expecting to get much out of the 3G but whatever. Depending on how it goes, I might even put the wife's 3GS on the market and get her an early upgrade for the 4.

22. MT0227 macrumors 6502

Put it in a time capsule with my 2G and bury them in my backyard.

23. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

How long before you sign up with these people before you have to mail in your phone? Anyone know?