What are you going to do with your old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamMacPerson, Mar 4, 2014.

?

What will you do with your old iPhone?

1. Hold onto it, its apart of me!

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. Sell it, need money for the new one/no use for it.

31 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Trade it in, putting towards the new iPhone!

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Other (please post what your doing)

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

So, I've been wondering, those upgrading later this year, what do you plan to do with your old iPhone? I know some hold onto them, others sell them, others trade them in. So, what will you do with your iPhone?

Personally, when I upgrade to the iPhone 6, I'm holding onto my iPhone 5. There's just this connection I've built using it over the last year and a half (by then, two years). When I sold my iPhone 4 when I upgraded, I regretted it because I would never get *that* phone back. Such great time I had with it.

2. Intelligent, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Keep it. I have problems with throwing away stuff/selling that was once mine, since i keep all the paper from candy, coca-cola bottles etc. but whatever.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I sell my old phones, it helps offset the costs of the new phone. Even though I go the subsidized phone route, 200 dollars x 2 phones is no small amount so I sell or use gazelle to get some cash to offset that expenditure

4. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I usuallly end up keeping my phones and use them for nostalgia sake, reviews and comparisons or to give them to friends/family

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'm going to keep it because I also have a connection with my phone.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I always sell mine to put towards the new phone. I still do have an original iphone in the original packaging though :)

7. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

8. TWD98j macrumors regular

I kept my 4S after I upgraded to my 5S, just in case a freak accident happens and I need a back up.

Last year, one of my staff had her 5 accidentally flung into the family swimming pool. It was in there all of maybe 5 seconds before she was able to retrieve it and immediately submerge it into a bowl of rice. She reverted back to her old 3GS for the following week as a back up. Even though it was quite painful coming down from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 3GS, she was happy to have the back up available.

9. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

I sell them every year. Use the money to get the new one.

10. I7guy macrumors G5

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I always sell my previous iPhones, but I keep a backup phone of another OS just to play around with when I feel like having a change. Currently my second phone is a Lumia 920.

12. mstgkillr macrumors regular

I just switched from Sprint to AT&T and I'm selling all 4 of my iPhones 5s'... Now I just need another 100+ posts so that I can list them on Macrumors.

13. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I'll be doing what I always do, give it away.

To a friend
    Or
    To a shelter for battered women

Complete in its original box with all accessories & packaging. My less than one year old phones always look like new.

Giving them away makes me feel very happy. :)

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You'll have better luck on CL probably;)

15. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I'm undecided. Probably keep it for backup just incase or sell it towards the new one.

----------

Look into Swappa.

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I usually give mine to a family member, but last year I just sold my 4s because nobody needed an upgrade. My 5s will most likely be handed down.

17. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

ideally sell right before announcement is made of new iPhone to get the most money out of it.

18. kudukudu macrumors regular

I said "other" since I am keeping it for the following:

1. backup phone in case I lose my 5s or my wife loses hers
    2. might jailbreak it and use it as an unlocked world phone for travel where I can stick a local pre-paid SIM in it
    3. use it as an ipod music player in our stereo

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

When the 6 comes out, I'm actually going to hold onto my 4S. I plan on getting the battery replaced later this and use it abroad when I travel.

20. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

I always sell the current model to use the money to buy the new one. The iPhone always keeps its value. And it sells really fast, usually within a day

21. sammy-boy macrumors regular

Depending on financial situation I usually either hold onto it as a spare/backup phone, sell it or trade it in for a newer model.

22. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Other - I'm passing them down to my family. Gave my 4S to my mom when I got the 5s. I intend on getting the 6 and will give the 5s to my mom, and she'll give the 4S to my sister which will be her first phone :)

23. jayes macrumors regular

I kept my 4 when I upgraded to the 5. It's a backup in case a family member loses or breaks their iPhone. Recently I deleted the 4 of all apps and loaded a bunch of music from scores of my old CDs and will use it on the Aux input on my car. There's no space on my 5 for more than one or two CDs. Note to self - iPhone 6 needs 32 GB.

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

Me too. Last year I sold my 5 for $450 so ill likely be selling my 5S this year too.

25. irDigital0l Guest

Well I have an iPhone 4 and plan on upgrading to the iPhone 6.

Doubt can sell for lots of money and can't really give it to any friends/relatives.

Its Verizon CDMA model and I don't think it comes with a SIM card also it can't work with China Mobile I think?

Might just keep it and use it as an iPod touch, might jailbreak it.

Its cool though because with FaceTime Audio you can still call people for free.

Been using it since its release in 2011, kinda want to keep it (as my 1st gen smartphone).