What are you going to do with your old iPhone?

What will you do with your old iPhone?

• Hold onto it, its apart of me!

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Sell it, need money for the new one/no use for it.

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • Trade it in, putting towards the new iPhone!

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Other (please post what your doing)

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
So, I've been wondering, those upgrading later this year, what do you plan to do with your old iPhone? I know some hold onto them, others sell them, others trade them in. So, what will you do with your iPhone?

Personally, when I upgrade to the iPhone 6, I'm holding onto my iPhone 5. There's just this connection I've built using it over the last year and a half (by then, two years). When I sold my iPhone 4 when I upgraded, I regretted it because I would never get *that* phone back. Such great time I had with it.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
So, I've been wondering, those upgrading later this year, what do you plan to do with your old iPhone? I know some hold onto them, others sell them, others trade them in. So, what will you do with your iPhone?

Personally, when I upgrade to the iPhone 6, I'm holding onto my iPhone 5. There's just this connection I've built using it over the last year and a half (by then, two years). When I sold my iPhone 4 when I upgraded, I regretted it because I would never get *that* phone back. Such great time I had with it.
Keep it. I have problems with throwing away stuff/selling that was once mine, since i keep all the paper from candy, coca-cola bottles etc. but whatever.

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I sell my old phones, it helps offset the costs of the new phone. Even though I go the subsidized phone route, 200 dollars x 2 phones is no small amount so I sell or use gazelle to get some cash to offset that expenditure

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I usuallly end up keeping my phones and use them for nostalgia sake, reviews and comparisons or to give them to friends/family

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I always sell mine to put towards the new phone. I still do have an original iphone in the original packaging though :)

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I kept my 4S after I upgraded to my 5S, just in case a freak accident happens and I need a back up.

Last year, one of my staff had her 5 accidentally flung into the family swimming pool. It was in there all of maybe 5 seconds before she was able to retrieve it and immediately submerge it into a bowl of rice. She reverted back to her old 3GS for the following week as a back up. Even though it was quite painful coming down from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 3GS, she was happy to have the back up available.

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I always sell my previous iPhones, but I keep a backup phone of another OS just to play around with when I feel like having a change. Currently my second phone is a Lumia 920.

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2012
I just switched from Sprint to AT&T and I'm selling all 4 of my iPhones 5s'... Now I just need another 100+ posts so that I can list them on Macrumors.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I'll be doing what I always do, give it away.

To a friend
Or
To a shelter for battered women

Complete in its original box with all accessories & packaging. My less than one year old phones always look like new.

Giving them away makes me feel very happy. :)

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I'm undecided. Probably keep it for backup just incase or sell it towards the new one.

----------

I just switched from Sprint to AT&T and I'm selling all 4 of my iPhones 5s'... Now I just need another 100+ posts so that I can list them on Macrumors.
Look into Swappa.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I usually give mine to a family member, but last year I just sold my 4s because nobody needed an upgrade. My 5s will most likely be handed down.

kudukudu

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I said "other" since I am keeping it for the following:

1. backup phone in case I lose my 5s or my wife loses hers
2. might jailbreak it and use it as an unlocked world phone for travel where I can stick a local pre-paid SIM in it
3. use it as an ipod music player in our stereo

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Other - I'm passing them down to my family. Gave my 4S to my mom when I got the 5s. I intend on getting the 6 and will give the 5s to my mom, and she'll give the 4S to my sister which will be her first phone :)

jayes

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
I kept my 4 when I upgraded to the 5. It's a backup in case a family member loses or breaks their iPhone. Recently I deleted the 4 of all apps and loaded a bunch of music from scores of my old CDs and will use it on the Aux input on my car. There's no space on my 5 for more than one or two CDs. Note to self - iPhone 6 needs 32 GB.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Well I have an iPhone 4 and plan on upgrading to the iPhone 6.

Doubt can sell for lots of money and can't really give it to any friends/relatives.

Its Verizon CDMA model and I don't think it comes with a SIM card also it can't work with China Mobile I think?

Might just keep it and use it as an iPod touch, might jailbreak it.

Its cool though because with FaceTime Audio you can still call people for free.

Been using it since its release in 2011, kinda want to keep it (as my 1st gen smartphone).