Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notmach67

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2016
Dark side of the Moon
SpaceSlug's new album that just dropped this week -
"Time Travel Dilemma"
Soo freakin' awesome!

\m/ \m/
Also, not a fan of Taylor Swift - no offense to anyone, but damn does she look hot in the link above ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I remember first becoming aware of Gary Numan after watching an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000," specifically one where an alien takes control of a child's Simon game and makes it play horrible synth sounds.

I realized that the "in cars" chorus Joel and the bots were singing was actually from a song I liked but didn't know the name of, so I looked it up.

I think the sounds the alien makes are more similar to Numan's "We Are So Fragile," but its lyrics aren't as recognizable.

I have long loved the music of Erik Satie, and - to my stunned and delighted surprise - on the B side of one of his singles (the old 45rpm records), Gary Numan recorded a synth version of Erik Satie's Gymnopédie No 1.

Reactions: AngerDanger

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I have long loved the music of Erik Satie, and - to my stunned and delighted surprise - on the B side of one of his singles (the old 45rpm records), Gary Numan recorded a synth version of Erik Satie's Gymnopédie No 1.
That synth version, which was an iTunes download of mine, was the first version of "Gymnopédie No. 1" I actually knew by name. Since it's a public domain composition, it's one I grew up hearing in the background of many things but never knew by name. Now it's also one of the couple of songs I can stumble through on piano.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
edgarmeyer.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
"Smoke and Mirrors" by The Magnetic Fields. Keeping in theme, it sounds like Merritt is channeling his inner Gary Numan.

Someone else's world goes by
As my train runs through this night
Someone else's rain comes down
But no rain can touch me now

Reactions: notmach67

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
"Last Time Forever" - Squeeze, a lovely track from the 80s.

Followed by some timeless classics from Steeleye Span - I must say that I really love this stuff - from the 70s: "The Blacksmith", "Fisherman's Wife", "All Things Are Silent","Boys Of Bedlam", "Lowlands Of Holland", "The Gower Wassail", "When I Was On Horseback", "Cam Ye O'er Frae France", "False Knight On The Road", "Thomas the Rhymer", "Lovely On The Water", and the stunning "Long Lankin", among several others.

Wonderful listening.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.