Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Whitesnake:

From memory: I believe this song makes an appearance in 'I Know What you Did Last Summer'

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
A video of the finale of Prokofiev's "War Sonata", #7 (3rd movement, Precipitato). Valentina Lisitsa is the pianist here. It's music to keep your blood moving on a wintry afternoon.

The oldest joke I'm aware of about the finale of this sonata is that everyone who performs it has memorized it early on, if only because there's no alternative: the thing is in 7/8 time, and once you begin, you must keep going to the end as there is no resting place. So unless you have a page turner for even your practice sessions it's difficult to learn to play it through properly. I never did play this well and it wasn't for lack of having memorized at least the bars around those page turns, as the critters I drafted for that duty were highly incompetent lol. I don't feel badly. It's a wondrous bear. Perhaps no one always gets all the notes right in the last couple pages. Lisitsa pretty much gets there though and hers is one of the performances I do like best.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Acquistic Sunrise on Cities 97. I listen to it every Sunday morning and pipe it throughout the house. Easy and relaxing.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
"Olias of Sunhillow" by Jon Anderson of Yes. A truly beautiful album and a perennial favourite of mine. I hesitate to think how many copies of this I've worn out over the years.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Sheer fun from the Verbier Festival in Switzerland on July 22, 2002: Bach's BWV 1065 concerto for four keyboards -- here, pianos-- transcribed by Bach from Vivaldi's original scoring for four violins.

Check out the finale (8:35). This is about stellar artists having a blast together (and yes, doing their own page turns) on the $$$$$$ of four concert grand pianos nestled together on the stage. Pianists are Argerich, Kissin, Levine and Pletnev... and one glimpses in the orchestra other iconic figures including Mischa Maisky, Sarah Chang and more. Classical festivals are amazing for their draw of talent configurations we're never going to find on a single stage at a metro subscription concert; the casually dressed crowd shows deep appreciation of that fact at the end -- you could think it was the wrap of a rock festival. ;)

notmach67

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2016
Dark side of the Moon
Gonna drop some of this today because it's soo freakin' sick.
The one and only Jacob Miller & Inner Circle with Augustus Pablo..

One more to add is one of my fave cuts by the Legendary Bob Marley - Midnight Ravers.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
It's a cold, icy and snowy day, so it seems like a good time to break out some Morris Day and the Time. It always gets me going.

Reactions: pachyderm

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Sheer fun from the Verbier Festival in Switzerland on July 22, 2002: Bach's BWV 1065 concerto for four keyboards -- here, pianos-- transcribed by Bach from Vivaldi's original scoring for four violins.

Check out the finale (8:35). This is about stellar artists having a blast together (and yes, doing their own page turns) on the $$$$$$ of four concert grand pianos nestled together on the stage. Pianists are Argerich, Kissin, Levine and Pletnev... and one glimpses in the orchestra other iconic figures including Mischa Maisky, Sarah Chang and more. Classical festivals are amazing for their draw of talent configurations we're never going to find on a single stage at a metro subscription concert; the casually dressed crowd shows deep appreciation of that fact at the end -- you could think it was the wrap of a rock festival. ;)

This is why I love YouTube.
The classical music concerts you can find there is wonderful.
Thanks for sharing this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.