What are you listening to? Part III

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SandboxGeneral, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Scepticalscribe, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Great post.

You're most fortunate to have had the privilege of hearing him play live - I'd have loved that.

But, yes, agreed, absolutely, he does get you in the gut - at that visceral emotional level, joy and sorrow both, and something that is epic and transcendental as well.

I haven't listened to him for a while; I think I would be in bits - it has only been seven weeks (today) since my mother passed away - if I thought to play him. So, yes, I do get the sobbing - completely.

2. Scepticalscribe, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, for now, I think I will reserve playing Philip Glass to the privacy of my study.

Our reserved society might have difficulty with a grown woman bawling her eyes out - or smothering sniffles - on a train.

But, someday soon, Philip Glass it will be.

3. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

More my take on it too, although there have been a few times in my life I've listened to some of those etudes to become a little more grounded in reality than wherever some deep grief had taken me. I ended up visualizing how to play some of the stuff while I was listening. That reminded me that even if I would never give Glass' etudes a shot on the piano, I was more capable in life than to just continue dissolving towards hopelessness or wherever I was going then in my vale of tears.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bravo. Brilliant reply.

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Nah, just a recollection of a bad time Glass helped me get through. I hasten to say there's no shortcutting a grieving process. Music has helped me move through a lot of stages of grief at a lot of different times. Certainly including anger! Open doors and let the rock music blast the starlings out of their appointed rounds through the back meadow...

6. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Breakfast Jazz.....
    Feels like looking out on Manhattan on a cold & gloomy weekend morning. Happy Friday folks!

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

My day started with the Verve, Bittersweet Symphony.

8. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I should be listening to Handel's Water Music considering the February thaw's little lakes that have formed on my land and driveways the past couple days.

But, they're gonna freeze up by nightfall so I'm keeping warm in advance by listening to Mexican soft rock instead... band Camila, the track is Te Confieso, a single from upcoming album, it will be their second album since Samo left the band. I liked Camila's first post-Samo album, Elypse, so that's next up...

Camila - Elypse - cover art.jpg

9. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Over Christmas I was rereading Herodotus… and it always makes me smile when I come across the "Neither snow nor rain, nor gloom of night… appointed rounds." :)

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

^^ Wow I had no idea that's where that came from. For all I knew the US Postal Service invented it as legend to which one must aspire in their employ.

Man. So many holes in my education even now. See I could be reading Herodutus but instead prowling the net for news on when the rest of that Camila album will show up.

11. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

I recently started rewatching Miami Vice (and have for a long time thought that Phil Collins is a genius). I think that about covers it as far as intros go.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I don't much care for his political views, but, agreed, some of his music is extremely good.

As it happens, I have a few (three, I think) CDs from Miami Vice - the music on that show was superb.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    Great choice, and I love that song.

Wow; Mexican soft rock sounds amazing.

But then, so does Handel.

Fantastic - I always love to learn something new. I hadn't known this - thank you for sharing this wth us.

13. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

I haven't got a clue about his political views, and wasn't even aware there may be some controversy regarding them. Generally, for myself, I do a pretty good job of separating the person from their art (up to a point), so it remains to be seen if I even care enough to look into what Collins thinks about things.

But yes, the "genius"-part was purely in reference to his musical abilities.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, re Brexit, no, one cannot but be aware of such things.

I'm not saying that there is a controversy with Phil Collins (not when there is so much else that is controversial), just that I have been disappointed with the opinions of an artist whose music I had liked (and still like).

Nevertheless, I accept that - musically - he excels, while deploring what he says he believes.

But yes, I now view him with a regretted - but real - loss of respect.

15. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Ouch. Still, his views and statements have for some reason yet to reach me, but since I have a somewhat personal stake regarding Brexit that's something I'll have to read more about. Maybe. Thanks for the heads up in any case.

Yep, that's how I understood it, and I realize now my choice of words may have been poor.

Understandable.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Earlier it was REM Greatest hits.

Now Green Day.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Still haven't arrived at REM (or Philip Glass).

Just this minute, I am listening to "In A Persian Market" by Ketelby (The World of Ketelby).

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Jazz night for me: Israeli trumpeter (transplanted to Brooklyn) Itamar Borochov's 2016 album Boomerang. He's one of the musical scions of Yisrael Borochov, founder of the East West Ensemble. Itamar's brother is Avri, a classically trained double bass and oud player, also now stateside in the NY jazz scene.

Itamar Borochov - Boomerang cover art.jpg

19. vanman1 macrumors newbie

Just got the 2 CD's from Au Revoir Simone, thank you David Lynch

20. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Some bluegrass for me today, to pretend it's not 14 degrees outside. On that genre of music, a remembered quote from my southern (transplanted to western) granddad a long time ago:

"Even if I could tune this here to what you got goin' there, boys, the Lord would send me straight to hell for makin' THAT kinda joyful noise."​

He said that one summer night just sitting by the campfire, waiting a little impatiently behind a silent guitar. My uncles and dad were tuning up and otherwise trying desperately to remember --and play through the fuzz of a few rounds of brews-- anything they had ever picked together before on their own instruments (a 2nd guitar, a banjo and a mandolin). Only the magic of kinship and a summer night in the mountains of Wyoming made that concert tolerable, if I recall correctly.

The guys who were playing with Mike Auldridge when his eponymous album was made are in a whole other class of bluegrass musician. This track is Tennessee Traveler. RIP Mike Auldridge (1938-2012), a great dobro player.

21. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Lynyrd Skynyrd...currently up: Simple Man.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

After going through the advent that is The Lego Movie (cut me some slack; I have a 9 and 7 year old!) and being subjected to having Everything is Awesome! stuck in my head for weeks on end (they still are singing it to this day), they decided to one up the game, and now we are totally screwed.

With that, you now have my permission to hate me and put me on ignore for the next week. From The Lego Movie 2:

Hey, at least they warned you about what was going to happen! :D :p

BL.

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

So I'm watching the Grammy's (arguably the worst of the EGOT) but I saw on Twitter that Brandi Carlile just won three. I'l be honest, she might be my favorite thing in music right now.

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi