Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I'm quite jealous!

I happen to noodle around on the bass myself, and Tina Weymouth and Phil Lesh are two of my favorite players.

YouTube: video
Agreed, but you left one out, Jack Casady from The Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna (my personal favorite) There are so many more great players like Paul McCartney, Chris Squire, Jack Bruce,Getty Lee, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, James Jamerson, etc, etc, etc... Too many to mention..

BTW, I've been playing bass since 1969 myself :)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Agreed, but you left one out, Jack Casady from The Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna (my personal favorite) There are so many more great players like Paul McCartney, Chris Squire, Jack Bruce,Getty Lee, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, James Jamerson, etc, etc, etc... Too many to mention..

BTW, I've been playing bass since 1969 myself :)

Yeah, I thought you did! Lots of great players you listed there. :cool:

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals

Attachments

• yngglenn.jpg
    yngglenn.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 53

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Do you still have that bass?

Sold it in 1979. A big mistake. I have 3 basses now. A 1979 Kramer DMZ5000 with an aluminium neck, a 2006 American Deluxe Fender Jazz, and a 2012 Lakland DJ Skyline bass. These days I'm not playing much other than jamming with a couple of friends here and there.. I stopped gigging in the early 90's. No one wants to see old unestablished rock in rollers play. I totally get it.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Sold it in 1979. A big mistake. I have 3 basses now. A 1979 Kramer DMZ5000 with an aluminium neck, a 2006 American Deluxe Fender Jazz, and a 2012 Lakland DJ Skyline bass. These days I'm not playing much other than jamming with a couple of friends here and there.. I stopped gigging in the early 90's. No one wants to see old unestablished rock in rollers play. I totally get it.

Ouch! I think we all have sold things we should not have, mine was 66 Super Sport! Which gives me a idea for a new thread.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Antigen Shift - Get off my Lawn
I absolutely love the mix of anyting electro in this song- from EBM to Industrial, Dubstep and anything, this is ****ing mindblowing.

YouTube: video

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks! I think fondly of those days. Sometimes I wish I could go back when life was much simpler :)

Hm. Perhaps.

However, looking back, I honestly think that era is better viewed through the distorting (and occasionally kindly) lens of hindsight - it looks better than it actually was; for a lot of people, it was still a fairly rough time to have to live through.

But, yes, some of it looks absolutely bizarre; I look at it and wonder to myself whether I really actually remember living through that, or am just imagining it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In a certain mood, I must say that I love Leonard Cohen.

Tonight's listening includes the wonderful, and haunting 'Everybody Knows' (just listen to those lyrics, and wince…with fellow feeling….)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

In the January of last year, my brother instructed me to ensure that whatever leave I planned to take for the following Christmas to make sure I was around for the second week of December. This was to be his Christmas present to me.

As a quick trawl of the internet subsequently revealed, this coincided with the planned farewell European tour of the legendary composer Ennio Morricone.

Now, needless to say, I did arrange to be around for the dates in question, only to be informed, as the actual dates approached last December, that Ennio Morricone had been taken ill, and that the concert had been postponed to a later date. Refunds would be offered to those who would not be able to be in a position to attend the rescheduled concert dates.

The rescheduled concert dates were planned for February, and thus, (again I was requested to try to ensure that I was in the country), I managed to avail of my (belated) Christmas gift, when I attended a two and a half hour concert given by Ennio Morricone (and his orchestra).

These are the sort of events that one gets to see possibly once a lifetime, and it was a privilege to be present at this occasion. The concert itself was flawless, utterly professional and meticulous in interpretation and execute. A wide range of his music was played, which included a lot of the justly famous pieces, along with some lesser known numbers (among which were a few that I personally love, such as Come Maddelena, The Sicilian, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, and The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti).

At the conclusion of the concert, he gifted the capacity audience with three encores.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
In a certain mood, I must say that I love Leonard Cohen.

Tonight's listening includes the wonderful, and haunting 'Everybody Knows' (just listen to those lyrics, and wince…with fellow feeling….)

I have Don Henley covering that with a very high level of snark in his Actual Miles album, and when I’m a mood that matches, I just love it. You’re so right, Leonard Cohen’s lyrics for "Everybody Knows" are just breathtaking.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have Don Henley covering that with a very high level of snark in his Actual Miles album, and when I’m a mood that matches, I just love it. You’re so right, Leonard Cohen’s lyrics for "Everybody Knows" are just breathtaking.

Oh, gosh, yes. Absolutely.

I love 'Take This Waltz', too (and - although it would not have been his preference had matters worked out differently for him - I also love the fact that Leonard Cohen is still touring and is still a legend with integrity, literate and brilliant and gifting us with his musical vision).

But, as for listening to music in that place where melody - and not just lyrics, but actual words- merge as poetry, 'Everybody Knows' is one of my absolute favourites. Breathtaking and gripping.

Another song for when I am in that sort of mood that I am also rather partial to, is Prince's song .

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I love 'Take This Waltz', too (and - although it would not have been his preference had matters worked out differently for him - I also love the fact that Leonard Cohen is still touring and is still a legend with integrity, literate and brilliant and gifting us with his musical vision).

“Take This Waltz”, wow. I first bumped into that as a cover sung by Cohen’s son, Adam.

In 2009, the charity War Child released an interesting concept album, War Child Presents Heroes. They selected some musicians and had each pick a personally admired cover artist of their works. Each cover artist then picked a song from works of the original artist and either recorded it for the album or chose an extant performance for inclusion in the album. I loved the idea of the original artists picking the cover artists but then the cover musicians making their own pick of which song to offer. Maybe I'm just drawn to the possibility that one of the original artists heard the cover's pick and thought, "ach... not THAT one!"

Charity compilations are sometimes a bore but this one seemed mostly otherwise to me. Anway I liked that Leonard Cohen chose his son Adam, and that Adam then picked his father’s “Take This Waltz” but sang it with the partially translated title “Toma Este Waltz” in the Spanish from which the original lyric had been adapted: Federico García Lorca’s poem “Pequeño vals vienés” (Little Viennese Waltz). I suppose that in liking Leonard Cohen, then you’d know that he was so taken by García Lorca’s works in his youth that he had named his own daughter Lorca Cohen. “Take This Waltz” is profoundly moving, no matter whose take on it one considers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.