What are you missing before being able to use iPad as your sole work computer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kriista1234, Feb 19, 2011.

1. kriista1234 macrumors regular

I use my iPad every single day for work (as a music teacher). It's great being able to have all my books with me at all times.

The main thing I'm still missing is some actual spreadsheet/googledoc control. I have to manually keep track of attendance on paper, to then scan it at the end of the month and input it into a spreadsheet.
    When I got the iPad I got all excited and made a great spreadsheet in Numbers only be to sorely disappointed when trying to upload it to the iPad. Numbers on the iPad is nearly useless. In fact every spreadsheet app falls short of actually being useful.

Lately I've been wanting to start using Keynote off the iPad to do presentations with. I'm putting off buying the cable adaptor since I'm hoping (wishing?) the iPad2 will have a built in mini display port. That way I wouldn't have to lug around two adaptors all the time (laptop and iPad).

Also after seeing how much Number sucks for iPad, I'm not sure Keynote for iPad will be much better. At least now from what I've read it lets you see the next panel, which is useful.
    Does anyone know if you can embed audio/video files in iPad Keynote?

Anyone else missing proper excel/spreadsheet/googledoc compatibility? Is it a processing problem (will iPad2 be able to do it?) or have no developers gotten around to giving us actual document editing?

2. ozred macrumors 6502

Oh please. Let's be honest. Ones a fully functional computer, and the other is not. They are both excellent, I know I have both a new 15" MBP and an iPad. Why would I compare? They are simply too different. Why not just enjoy?

3. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

I've got a 13" MBP that I use when I need to do presentations and stuff like that, but with some better doc editing, which isn't unreasonable, the iPad could be my sole work computer.

Granted I'm not a desk worker, so I don't need to input/manage files all day, just manage simple attendance and googledoc spreadsheeting.

4. deadwalrus macrumors regular

It needs some sort of file system and a USB port. Most documents I work with are Word, and Pages just doesn't cut it. The lack of track changes is particularly devastating.

Really, that's about it. My hopes for getting any of this is nil.

5. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Since setting up Dropbox for my iMac/Laptop I hardly ever use a USB stick anymore to transfer stuff around.

A lot of apps let you cloud sync like that, which is ideal, but the actual document editing sucks. I think you can do word stuff with documents to go or similar apps. Word processing isn't too rough I think, it's all the cell management of excel/numbers that sucks.

6. bocomo macrumors 6502

I use Numbers to keep class attendance and grades. I created the spreadsheets on the ipad so i can't speak to any transfer problems

The main work that i do is with photoshop and files over 1GB in size. It will likely be a very long time before tablets get that powerful!

Other than that, i haven't really run into any problems

7. bocomo macrumors 6502

How would a file system and USB port help this?

8. bocomo macrumors 6502

Beacause many people can (or are close to) replacea laptop with it

My desktop is my main computer and i've replaced my laptop with my ipad for daily mobile use. Really the only things i still use my laptop for is demoing specialy software in class (which i will replace with keynote presentations this summer), and screen sharing my desktop from the living room to play Civilization 3 while i watch stuff from my DVR

9. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Using the Numbers demo spreadsheet it looks nice and powerful, but it would be tedious trying to make a full spreadsheet ON the iPad.

Do you sync it to anything outside the iPad?

It wouldn't be so bad to make a spreadsheet on the iPad that looks simple/easy, but I'd need to be able to transfer the data to a real spreadsheet at the end of each month.

10. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You can play golf with a shovel and a rake. You just won't play it as well as when you use the proper tools. Same goes for computers.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

*ahem* For me it'd need

- Navigable file system
    - Ability to install apps from anywhere I choose
    - Numerous/optional forms of input. I should be able to connect an optical drive, for example
    - True multitasking
    - Ability to upgrade storage
    - Access to system files and/or a command terminal
    - More input options. Built in physical keyboard
    - More than a (paltry) 64gb drive. I was filling up 64gb drives in 2002
    - Be able to distribute files to other computers easily (was quite shocked to see that my superfuturistic iPod touch 4G couldn't bluetooth photos to other devices...)
    - Customisation beyond where my icons are and what my desktop picture is
    - To update itself

For the iPad to be my main computer (for me) it'd have to be a Macbook.

12. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it's certainly far off from being a main computer, but I was more thinking as main 'work computer'. Where you do some general stuff, but nothing hardcore.

13. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Ability to run MS Windows. So basically I'll never be able to use it as my only work device.

Also real Excel. Come on MS, Office for the iPad please. And not that watered down **** that you have for Windows Mobile. The real deal.

14. bigmatt macrumors newbie

The iPad won't replace a computer for many things and most people. Some of the above can be done with some jailbreak apps/tweaks. Ifile allows you to go through the file system. I used Bluetooth with ifile and transferred a file between my 4g touch to the iPad. Mobile terminal on the device and open ssh along with putty/winscp can give root access to the file system.

15. h00ligan macrumors 68030

it would be a much smaller list to ask what currently allows it.

the missing list is sooooo long.

speed, file system, better input, real multitasking, storage space, etc, etc, etc.

16. hayesk macrumors 65816

I agree for work computers, but disagree for home computers. Most people read email, browse the web, and use facebook/twitter. If Apple could do away with requiring a computer for sync/backup, I think most people could get away without even owning a computer.

Oddly enough though, the iPad is more powerful than computers ten years ago, and people certainly used computers then. I think with the right apps, in some professions, it could.

17. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Oh, you mean a desk top or laptop. What is the hang that everyone has with real multitasking ? It's not like you use the iPad to rip DVDs while you surf the web. I think the iPads 'multitasking' works great. What is really needed is a back button. Better input??? If storage is lacking, you should have gotten a model with more storage, or learn how to better manage your data. Also, try File Browser and Drop Box.

I honestly feel that even if the iPad came with a TB of storage, people would still complain about the storage.

Edit: What is wrong with the speed?

18. deadwalrus macrumors regular

There are two distinct issues.

1) No file system / no USB port. My job requires reading and editing a lot of different documents. Getting them onto and off of the iPad is currently an absurd Rub-Goldberg work-around of drop box and email.

2) The documents I work with are formatted in often fairly complex ways. Plus, track changes is a must. Thus, the inadequacy.

19. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

I think the multitasking can definitely be improved. It reloads stuff a ton, and the fullscreen-ness of every app is slow going.

To check your mail/calendar/stuff takes quite a while as you have to open up each app and let it load before moving onto the next one.

20. Justinm59 macrumors regular

For the iPad to be my work (travel) computer I'd need a way to plug in a hard drive so I can dump the videos and pictures off my camera cards. Thats the only thing that made me sell my iPad and buy a macbook air. Another thing that would sell me on the iPad again, even if it didn't allow for a hard drive connection, would be video in (HDMI through the dock connecter maybe?). Having an iPad as a monitor for a camera would be amazing for me.

21. rkdiddy, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Have you tried Google docs? I haven't tried it out, but was reading it was released on iPad.

For me, I have/had an iPad (just sold, waiting for iPad 2), MBP and a Mac Mini. I'm amazed at how much I miss my iPad, when not doing web design, graphic design, etc - it is my preferred device at home. I think I could get rid of my home computer, if Apple would make the Time Capsule more of a home server. I have to keep it around as a music/video server.

22. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

There's no official googledocs, just 3rd party app versions.

None of them let you get into the googledocs much. Something as simple as accessing different sheets of a spreadsheet isn't possible (at least that I could tell).

For one of my teaching jobs we manage attendance via a googledoc spreadsheet, which has different sheets for each class. I need to scroll to and select the one relevant to me, which I can't do on the iPad (at least yet).

23. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Lets see, what does my real computer have that the iPad does not?
    -2.4GHZ core2duo
    -6GB RAM
    -NVIDIA 9600gt graphics processor
    -1TB storage (yes, on my laptop)
    -17 inch screen
    -DVD, Lightscribe drive
    -USB ports
    -Microsoft Office
    -Sony Vegas
    -decent speakers

That said, the iPad does a lot of things that my laptop can't do, which is why I have both ;)

24. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Are you saying the apps shouldn't be full screen, but in windows ? Nope. But again, a back button would be nice. (Or maybe a forward and back button, to scroll through open apps).

25. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

There are a lot of people who use computers simply to browse the internet. I used numbers but nothing complex. I don't do any work on computers, except to enter orders. My needs on a computer is simply to consume! I go to Amazon to shop or HSN. I on youtube. I play games. That is all! So, the iPad can be my main computer! It can be a main computer for an artist.