What are you obsessive or compulsive about?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mscriv, Nov 29, 2011.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

So, we all have our own little obsessions or weird behaviors that we are compelled to do. They don't really make sense, but nevertheless we focus on them despite the teasing and grief we take from friends and family.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For me... it's the DVR. Yep, that's right, I said DVR.

I'm obsessed with keeping it "organized" and making sure that it doesn't get "too full". How much is "too full"? I don't know, it's some nebulous state that I just know is problematic in some way and I'm driven not to let the DVR get there. If a show has been watched then it must be deleted.

"C'mon, do we really need 12 episodes of Phineas and Ferb for the kids!" Do you see what I'm talking about? "Look honey, this thing is not for long term storage, watch your show and get it off the DVR. We've got more stuff to record and we don't need your three week old episode of The Sing Off taking up valuable space." Of course the DVR is only 32% full, but that doesn't matter. Are you getting the picture here? I have a real problem. :eek:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, your turn... what are you obsessive or compulsive about?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My work out regime, regardless of the weather, schedule or my feelings, I go out and run. My wife shakes her head at me when I head out for a run with a temperature over 100, head congested and feeling like crap but I will not skip a run.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Stamps. I can't put them on an envelope right side up - only sideways. It bothers me otherwise.

4. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

That's too funny.

By the way just got a text from the wife:

Me: How you doing today?

Her: Good, getting old stuff off the DVR!

:D

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

My car. Certain places for certain things. My phone goes by the e-brake because the iPod cord reaches there perfectly. My sunglasses go on top of my pack of gum in the center area under the radio. Umbrella to the left in the door. In front of it my cologne behind it my cigarettes if I'm smoking that day.

--

My closet. Sweaters, dress pants, khaki colored pants, jeans, tshirts, collared short sleeve, long sleeve tshirts, long sleeve collared, button downs, jackets.

Shoes. Top shelf dress shoes, middle shelf casual, bottom sneakers and flip flops.

----

Don't get me started on my bathroom. Everything has a place. Even my shaving supplies have an order. Preshave left.... to aftershave lotion right and everything in between including the shaving cream before the shaving brush because I pick it up first.

----

My pants pockets. Right front is keys, chapstick, small wallet and lighter in the small pocket if I am smoking that day. Left front is cell phone. And if smoking right back pocket cigarettes.

----

There is a lot more but that should be good enough, for now.

6. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Soo many.

Computer files. They have to be in folders.

Hanging clothes. The halfway marks (if the shirt was split vertically) that come out from the neck that are two pieces of fabric sewn together have to be flush with the hanger.

Pen/pencil clip. I can't stand using a pencil without the clip. It really irritates me when I lend someone a pen/pencil and they break it off.

Messy desks. Just ugh.

Exposed wires. They just irritate me, and right next to the desk I'm typing on there's a plethora of them... *twitch*

Bathroom sinks. I hate when people drop toothpaste or leave hair in the sink and don't wash it off.

Not lined paper. I can't stand writing anything more than a few words on a paper on paper without lines. My writing varies a lot in size and is really crooked with that paper.

There are more, I just can't think of them.

7. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm only crazy about one thing, the bed sheets. I hate when they're not crisp and neat. I wish I could afford seven sets because I would remake the bed with clean sheets every day. Unfortunately that's not very cost effective. So I deal with it. I still try to straighten it every day.

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Being on time. I'll err on the side of caution and be hours early before I'll allow myself to be just one minute late.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I was ready to reply "sleep", but I'm in on this one too.

Not always easy with all the variables I have to deal with, but I get a degree of satisfaction when everything works out.

And, it helps to be lucky in this area, which I think I am.

10. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I don't like nylon jacket pockets because it catches and snags dry skin. Just one of life's trivial complaints.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I really want your "problem." :)

Turns out I'm weird about germs. Not the "I carry sanitizer" but just the general idea of germs. I also wash my hands chronically when handling raw meat. If I even think something like the dish towel was touched it goes in the wash immediately. I will go through a roll of paper towels in 2 days if I've been cooking a lot. I won't ever wipe a counter down with the dish sponge, ever. Don't let me see you do it either.

I don't like when cupboard doors, drawers or pantry doors are left open. There is no reason for it. Closet doors are similar but somehow my office closet doors are always open. :confused:

I can't sleep in a messy bed, I don't get why there is toothpaste on the mirror and in the sink, and I don't like it when I see people wash their clothes with towels.

I would bet my life that there are way more that make me impossible to be around but that is it off the top of my head.

12. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

-iTunes library. Illustrations, song titles, genres, etc. When I rip a CD that's not available on iTunes, I have to find the cover somewhere on the web - and then it has to be a decently sized image (1000px or greater is the best, nothing smaller than 500px), with the right colors. No, I don't own a scanner :p

-When washing dishes, I always try to remove all the foam from whatever I'm washing before handing it to my roommate for him to dry it. It irritates him because it takes more time, but I just have to do it - probably because I hate it when drying soapy items (however I'm always washing, so it's totally illogical).

13. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

A whole lotta that^

Also, wiring. Computer, home stereo, automotive, doesn't matter. It's gotta be neatly bundled, zip tied and if you can see it then it much have some form of protective covering like spit loom or TechFlex.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

When leaving the house, I get to the bottom of the path before turning back to check I've locked the door. If I'm with Mrs Cake, I'll then ask her to confirm that I did indeed lock it.

When I check the door I'll usually pretend that I'm checking something through the window, so the neighbours don't think I'm daft or owt. This probably doesn't work. :eek:

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

When i was a kid i had a clinical case of OCD, of course i had no idea what it was at the time and i just thought i was a freak. Luckily, somehow i grew out of it without anyone ever really noticing it, i hid it well. It wasn't until many years later that i finally learned about the condition i had as a kid. At the time i thought i was the only one.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I know the feeling 100% I was the same way. Mine was with light switches, doors, and tv channels. I had to shut the light switches off just right, and close the doors just right or I had to do it again. TV channels always had to be going up. If I wanted to go down a channel I had to go an extra one down so I could turn it back up.

It really is a ****** thing to have. Luckily I grew out of it without anyone noticing as well.

17. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Staying hydrated via 6 liters of water daily. My fitness/training/cross training routine with it's corresponding nutrition program.

Time management, home network security, backups both locally & offsite. Continual optimization of my various computers & devices, desktop & mobile OS's & related software apps.

Keeping a current electronic (Video) inventory of all items in the home in case of theft, fire or disaster. Converting all incoming paper records to electronic data in real time.

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well you may notice that a lot of my posts have been edited. I'm obsessive when it comes picking the right words to convey my point of view.

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

OMG light switches and doors, i completely forgot about those until you brought them up. I used to think if i don't turn the light switch off all the way there would be an electrical issue and cause a fire so i would turn it on and off a few times to make sure it was fully off. And yeah, it's a horrible thing to have that most people don't get. Even though i haven't had it in about 10 years, when i watch things like True Life: I Have OCD, i fully empathize with those people. I'm so lucky it went away on its own.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Time. Be more than 10 minutes late and we will have serious problems.

21. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'm the same except about lifting weights. Almost 12am here, but as always 4:50 I'll be up to head to gym.

22. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

I know there are a few small things that I do because people have pointed them out before but I can't remember lol....

only thing I can think of is when I play minecraft everything has to be exactly how I want it. to the point where I will build something and 1 block is wrong, so I tear down the whole thing and start over lol

23. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Pants pockets

Front left: keys, wallet(if I'm wearing gym pants)
    Front right: phone only
    Back left: wallet (if I'm wearing jeans)

-----
    My computer

I can not STAND when people use my computer and their hands are greasy, and then when I get back on my computer, the trackpad/keys feel strange. No bueno.
    ------
    My wallet

Everything has a specific place in my wallet. Debit card up front, credit card behind.
    -------
    Time

I am always on time. Period.

I know there are many many more, but those that come to my mind right now.

24. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I can't really remember a lot of mine since they have become a part of my life but...

The left shoe must go on first, never the right! Even when trying on shoes in stores.

The TV volume has to be on an even number!

When using a mechanical pencil, the lead has to be a certain type, soft and dark. I'll only use B, 2B and darker. If the work doesn't show up dark enough, I will have to do it over or I'll hate looking at it every time.
    Oh speaking of pencils, when drawing lines, they have to be done perfectly with a ruler.

25. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Among many:

-setting thermostats only on an even-numbered temperature

-swiping each tooth the same number of times when flossing

-placing all my shirts and sportcoats the same way on the hanger so that the hanger hook always points to the left when looking at the front of the garment

-rehanging a clothes item I just wore at the extreme right of the closet rod so I can tell later how recently I wore each item (with those on the left side having been worn the longest time ago)

-silently counting the number of times I swallow when drinking liquids