Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I have Safari set to only allow info storage and cookies from the website I am visiting, and that seems to cut down on the third party junk. Then I use the AdGuard content blocker extension.
I wasn't aware you could do this, so would this prevent cookies from tracking you through other sites and displaying targeted ads, etc? Just an assumption on my part but I'm hopeful. :)

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I wasn't aware you could do this, so would this prevent cookies from tracking you through other sites and displaying targeted ads, etc? Just an assumption on my part but I'm hopeful. :)
Yep... that's the idea anyway and it seems to work as advertised. If you set that option in Safari, and go to ford.com for example, it will not save any cookies or local storage information from any site other than ford.com... and would block cookies from adtrackers etc.

Reactions: ericgtr12

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I use ad-guard.

It's worth noting that most of those built-in cookie restrictions also prevent some beneficial things, like those 5% cashback offers when you enter an online store through your credit card's referal website. Whitelists don't seem to work well for those, since you are never sure what domain it will go through. I wish there was an "allow everything for the next 5/30/60 minutes" button for such situations.

Reactions: MRxROBOT

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Same as WB with the Safari preferences plus uBlock (in default deny mode) or JS Blocker.

Similar Fx preferences plus uBlock Origin and NoScript.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I use ad-guard.

It's worth noting that most of those built-in cookie restrictions also prevent some beneficial things, like those 5% cashback offers when you enter an online store through your credit card's referal website. Whitelists don't seem to work well for those, since you are never sure what domain it will go through. I wish there was an "allow everything for the next 5/30/60 minutes" button for such situations.
Yes good point. I have had a couple web sites (recently sears.com) that won't even let you login to your account if you won't accept third party cookies. From the way the redirects look during login, I think they are using some third party service for account login security.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Yes good point. I have had a couple web sites (recently sears.com) that won't even let you login to your account if you won't accept third party cookies. From the way the redirects look during login, I think they are using some third party service for account login security.
I suppose it's like credit card offers in the mail, if you refuse them all you'll never get a good deal. However, online I prefer not to be tracked, it's annoying having targeted ads from a product I was just browsing hit me on every site. If it means not being able to access the site then so be it.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
I have Safari set to only allow info storage and cookies from the website I am visiting, and that seems to cut down on the third party junk. Then I use the AdGuard content blocker extension.

After reading your post, I decided to give my Safari preferences a second look. I disabled cookies and MacRumors blocked my login! I understand there are reasons for storing cookies, but it gave me a good laugh. I now have it changed to just the websites visiting. That's why I love these forums, simple settings I overlooked after doing a clean install.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.