What are you using to block add-ons / trackers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MRxROBOT, May 6, 2016.

1. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

What is everybody using to block website add-ons and trackers?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have Safari set to only allow info storage and cookies from the website I am visiting, and that seems to cut down on the third party junk. Then I use the AdGuard content blocker extension.

3. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I wasn't aware you could do this, so would this prevent cookies from tracking you through other sites and displaying targeted ads, etc? Just an assumption on my part but I'm hopeful. :)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that's the idea anyway and it seems to work as advertised. If you set that option in Safari, and go to ford.com for example, it will not save any cookies or local storage information from any site other than ford.com... and would block cookies from adtrackers etc.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I use ad-guard.

It's worth noting that most of those built-in cookie restrictions also prevent some beneficial things, like those 5% cashback offers when you enter an online store through your credit card's referal website. Whitelists don't seem to work well for those, since you are never sure what domain it will go through. I wish there was an "allow everything for the next 5/30/60 minutes" button for such situations.

6. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

Same as WB with the Safari preferences plus uBlock (in default deny mode) or JS Blocker.

Similar Fx preferences plus uBlock Origin and NoScript.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes good point. I have had a couple web sites (recently sears.com) that won't even let you login to your account if you won't accept third party cookies. From the way the redirects look during login, I think they are using some third party service for account login security.

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I suppose it's like credit card offers in the mail, if you refuse them all you'll never get a good deal. However, online I prefer not to be tracked, it's annoying having targeted ads from a product I was just browsing hit me on every site. If it means not being able to access the site then so be it.

9. MRxROBOT, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016

MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

After reading your post, I decided to give my Safari preferences a second look. I disabled cookies and MacRumors blocked my login! I understand there are reasons for storing cookies, but it gave me a good laugh. I now have it changed to just the websites visiting. That's why I love these forums, simple settings I overlooked after doing a clean install.

10. Aika macrumors regular

Aika

11. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

uBlock, turned out to be better than AdBlock.

12. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Can I ask in what sense?

13. Ulenspiegel, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

It handles webpages better. In some cases. An example. Some pages detect AdBlock and would not let you go further. Never experienced it with uBlock.