What are you using to clean your 2016 keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ApplePersonFreak, Mar 9, 2017.

1. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502

I am thinking about getting a keyboard cover for my 2016 MBP. Will it be necessary? I don't want the keys to be greasy and smudgy after awhile and to protect them, but I guess a good cleaning solution would work too. What are you guys using to clean your keyboard?

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I mist a microfiber cloth with distilled water and wipe it. I tend to worry about the effects of cleaning products on the keys and maybe getting transferred to the display. Maybe I am just paranoid after having to have two screen replacements on my 13"? Could be.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

I just wipe with a cloth periodically. Keyboard covers aren't supported on the 2016 keyboards. There isn't enough space for material between the keyboard and screen.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203671

4. Mefisto, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

I use the same things as I use for cleaning the rest of the laptop.

A damp microfiber cloth does the trick when there's no significant buildup of grime, grease or anything of the sort. To make sure of that, I clean the whole thing maybe once a week, but I sometimes work in conditions that are not exactly sterile, so that is definately a factor.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I use Rogge (screen cleaning solution) - as it is recommended by a boat load of OEM makers, gentle enough for the AR coating on the MBP screen, scratch-prone acrylic on a display case, a polarized coating on glasses, and the AR coating over the sapphire crystal on my (relatively expensive) watch, yet powerful enough to remove oil buildup from the watch and leave a glossy touchscreen streak free, it seemed like a good match for the keys. I use it with a deep ribbed clean terry, usually. I also will occasionally use a soft bristled nylon brush designed for cleaning watches, from a company called Veraet.

Every Apple laptop I have owned has eventually had the keys become more shiny and I think part of this is because, over time, the texture wears to a more smooth surface. On an older MBP, I used the 3M Keyboard Cleaner Kit, which uses a solution that IIRC was ethyl alcohol-based. I used it mainly because that laptop was often used by other people and I wanted the disinfectant aspect (and as you can probably guess, it did an outstanding job removing oil buildup.) However, over several years, this happened to a few of the keys (and I believe this solution either caused it, or at least accelerated it.) I believe they have since discontinued this specific product.

2017-03-09 20.27.19.jpg

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have a keyboard cover but always use hand cloth with light water to clean keyboard once a month.