What are you willing to Pay for a 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dorfdad, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

It seem everyone is in a fuss over when the new 3G iPhone will come out, but the real question at least for me and my circle of friends is what will it cost? and will it be worth it?

Lets suppose the new 3G iPhone comes out in a basic 16 and 32 Gig Model recent rumors have an 8gig as well, but for this argument lets pretend its 16 and 32.

What would you be willing to pay IF there is nothing more than the addition of 3G and or 3G and the rumored 2nd camera?

Apple will be putting a premium on these things for sure and not selling them at the current costs as sales are still brisk for the older models.

Im making a guess here that we are looking at 499.99 and 599.99 respectfully and with the very limited coverage area of 3G for most subscribers I think the adoption rate will be slower than expected.

Would you be willing to pay 499.99 or 599.99 today?

2. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Will pay whatever is asked, that just seems to be the way it works lets be honest.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Depends on the feature...if its the current mode, just with 3G, then the same prices.

If its new, with high res screen, better battery life(very important for me), 32GB storage, GPS and other cool stuff, I'd throw 599 at it.

Honestly, I don't think Apple will leave the 399 price point, lower one day, but for now, 399 looks decent...much better then the 499 at launch

4. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

I'd pay $500 for a 32GB 3G as long as it will work in Europe and Japanese networks

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

This

6. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope they can improve the battery life on the current ones even more!
    This is my main gripe as well..

7. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

i'd pay £300 for a 8 gb version assuming it had all standards such as MMS and bluetooth compatibility with any bluetooth device, i say £300 for a 8gb as the n95 8gb was £400 or so at launch and thats got a 5mp camera and also other bits n peices iphone doesnt yet have

8. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

$399 max assuming nothing has changed but 3G. If there's something extremely exciting/new being added (gps, second camera*, higher MP camera, etc.), then maybe $499 max. I'm not going to pay extra for standard features available on all other phones like mms and bluetooth.

*This doesn't matter to me as I rarely video conference, but whatever.

9. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

10. Kblakeshot macrumors member

Same here. Technology is being upgraded and upgraded everyday, its kind of Apples job to keep up on their end and still give competitive prices. I think they should be $399 even if there is GPS and higher resolution, because then they will not have to have a price drop in 9 months and piss off all the launch buyers... again.

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

$499 seems to be the sweet spot - especially for 32GB.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

$300. Until then, I'll deal with the refurb I got for $250. :)

13. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Nothing right now, I honestly haven't been disappointed with EDGE and have upgraded to a 16gb phone based on capacity alone. Unless I'm completely without internet access, the things I'm doing online are really quick and EDGE is fine for short browsing sessions. Coverage is really good where I live, though.

Of course I will upgrade eventually, but it's not something that I'm dying for. I've been an iPhone user from day one and have been incredibly satisfied.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I agree as well. I really can't see Apple adding another 100 dollars onto their product. They drop prices more often then they raise them right?

15. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

$20 =)

.....yeah, okay I'd probably pay a thousand if they asked for it :rolleyes:

16. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't pay a penny more than the current prices if that's the only difference.

17. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I doubt they will add 3G alone.

I think the new iPhone will come out at the same time as the 2.0 firmware release and we will see that it has many new features just for the new iPhone, the old one will be discontinued but users will still be able to get a "old iPhone" version of 2.0 with less features, some will obviously be hacked to work but others will need some sort of hardware that only the new iPhone has.

The newer one will be sold at the same prices as the current ones and will be avalable in 16GB and 32GB versions.

18. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if they add GPS and 3G and an Additional Camera on the front im not going to spend 499.99 for it. I love the iPhone but the current model does enough for most users as is, and with the new apps coming it will be even more useful.

19. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Not really, a lot of iPhone users carry around secondary phones according to a recent survay.

The iPhone still needs video capture, MMS and Bluetooth OBEX.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How likely is a phone that will work in both Europe and Japan (as well as AT&T's GSM / HSPA network here)? I thought that the phones that did this now were basically two phones inside a shell (one GSM one for the US and Europe, and then the Japanese one)?

21. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Ditto. Around the same price as the original would be acceptable.

22. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i dont want much storage. 16 would be fine, throw in 32 and im happy as well.

23. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

No more than £300.

The iPhone NEEDS 3G! Seen as the UK and Japan need it because EDGE networks in the UK can sometimes be almost none existent.

The UK have kind of gone for the higher speed along with Japan.

The US however... have stuck with the older 2.5G (EDGE).

24. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I would pay 400-450 Pound Sterling for it, if there was 3G and a 32GB hd.
    I hope that they upgrade the camera, if they do i will be very happy, and if gps is also added it would make me slightly more happy again, but i still consider these bonus, 3G is what i neeeeed... and a 32gb harddisk would serve my needs exactly at current, no doubt they will grow with time..

25. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If iPhones had harddrives they would look like first gen Zunes.