What are your experiences with Apple Repair?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by celticpride678, Aug 21, 2009.

1. celticpride678

Well, I finally got my MacBook out and shipped yesterday becuase of that speaker popping noise that I was expireincing (some may know what I am talking about). Anyways, my Logic Board and speaker system will be replaced, along with anything else that needs replacing. I have a few questions and want to hear your expiriences with Apple Repair:

1. They say that it will take 5-7 days, but is that true?
    2. What are your experiences with them handling that computer? (dents, scratches etc. )
    3. Is there any chance my product will have problems in the future becuase of the replacements being made?

Post your expiriences and please try to answer the questions. Thanks.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. mac88 macrumors 6502

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

No complaints here either, i send my macbook to get fixed, i had it back with in the week of sending. They fixed everything i needed.

5. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hopefully your machine doesn't get lost in the system. I've seen it happen twice with notebooks that have been sent back.

7. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I had to send mine away because the magnetic latch jammed open. My MacBook Pro was two weeks out of AppleCare but they replaced it for me anyway. It was my fault it jammed in the first place, but to answer your questions:

1. The Time To Fix estimate they gave me was very accurate;
    2. I can only assumed they handled it with great care;
    3. I have not had any problems with the latch since.

A second run-in with Apple repair was after I installed a AOE then it wouldn't start up again - Apple scheduled me that same day and within the first :15 (free) minutes of troubleshooting had the problem resolved.

Apple's customer service is five-stars in my experience. My Parents had to take their iMac into the Apple Store for a fix and had the same result I did.

8. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

I dealt with them just this week.

I took it in on Tuesday afternoon to the Genius Bar, and agreed that the hinge + screen assembly would be replaced. The computer got to the repair depot and was repaired Thursday, and I picked the computer up Friday. So only three days total.

My machine looks great, I thought they might have given me a refurb at first. The only thing is they completely wiped my disk, both partitions, and put in a clean install of OS X. This made me kind of mad, seeing as how it was being repaired for a hardware issue and not a software, but at least I had my back up.

9. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Wait, could I then get it back, if lost??

I was told that my hard drive would probably be wiped, so I backed up. They do it to avoid any issues and I kinda want to start fresh.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They'd replace it but that's why you have a backup, right?

Seriously I've sent them machines from the store only for them to tell me they haven't received anything yet, have them search for the missing Mac in their system, and take a few days to show up.

It doesn't happen often but it's just pathetic that it does. All the more reason to have a complete backup of your computer.

11. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Hopefully it won't happen to me. It really stinks because I am typing this on a 7 year old, Windows XP desktop. Man, I need my Mac.:D

Still says: Shipment to repair center pending

12. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I don't mind starting fresh but I also had a Vista partition on there that they wiped. I was going to take it off anyways, thankfully.

That, and I'll have to wipe it again in a week or so when Snow Leopard comes out!

13. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I'm hoping that, if they do wipe my hard drive, they by mistake put on Snow Leopard. :D:rolleyes:

14. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Oh trust me, I thought of that too because on the paper they said the latest version of OS X.

So I ran to the nearest Starbucks when I got out of the store and checked, they put on 10.5.6 :(

15. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Maybe we should sue?:)