Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riker1384

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
I've been running 10.3.9 for several years now but I never really learned the ins and outs of it. I've learned new stuff just recently. I was thinking of getting a general book about the operating system, its use and also the included Apple Software. What books do you recommend?

I know some really basic Unix commands, and I'd like a book that includes some info on using the Terminal.

I've been impressed by O'Reilly books, so I was thinking of getting the Missing Manual; is that good? One question I have is which version I should get of that book, or any other. I have 10.3.9, but I'll probably have to upgrade sometime. I don't know if I'd get a refurb with 10.4, as I'd have to buy RAM as well as have the older OS. Could I get one book that would be good for both 10.3 and 10.5, or are they too different?

PS: Also, If I go back to school I'll probably need some sort of Windows machine. (Of course, I might be able to use one of the Intel Macs for that.) I have minimal experience with Windows, just using it for basic tasks at school. Any basic recommended books on running a Windows machine wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't know whether to get one on XP or Vista though.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
The Missing Manual is great for all but maybe advanced users. I'm planning to pick up the Leopard version even though I've been around Macs for a while. I had the old Panther version and didn't bother picking up the Tiger one, so I figure I'll get this one to have a reference.

Even though it has a lot of stuff that is very basic, it is useful for the intermediate user as well and very well written.

I'll be upgrading to an Intel Mac for the first time soon, so I'm sort of a Windows newbie too, I'll probably pick up Pogue's Missing Manual for that too.

riker1384

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
I just learned that if you buy newer version of an O'Reilly book, you can get a 30% discount by sending them the title page of the old version.

The only problem is that it you have to buy the new one from O'Reilly. Amazon already has discounts, such as $20 for the Missing Manual vs $30 to buy it from O'Reilly. I think the only advantage would be that O'Reilly has faster free shipping than Amazon. Then again, O'Reilly apparently has a buy-two, get-one-free deal, so if you used both deals and bought 3 books you could save money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.