What are your plans if you get the new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eccentricglow, Mar 16, 2010.

1. eccentricglow macrumors member

eccentricglow

Well, since Apple in their infinite wisdom has decided to consistently delay the release of the new MBPs - how many of you are still holding out? I for one try to keep a good attitude about this. One more Tuesday of no release is another Tuesday closer to the actual release. I mean - sheesh - they can't keep it from us forever. :(

With that said - do you guys have some mad plans when you do actually buy the new Macbook? My plan is:

1. Get a SSD drive - either 128GB or 256GB (pricey, yeah.)
    2. Get some kind of hard drive caddy, and replace the optical drive with the HD caddy and the SSD.
    3. Get one of the 12.7mm WD 1TB drives and use it in the drive bay. I've asked OWC (Other World Computing) to see if these fit - and they've confirmed that it fits in the hard drive bay itself.
    4. Get one of those cases from speck or case logic to prevent scratches.

I figured since I haven't been able (or rather feel justified) in buying a current MBP model - I figure it would be therapeutic to at least talk about the plans with like minds. :cool:

I'm new to the mac scene and I've only just learned that Apple is definitely a company that says.. (and correct or add if I'm wrong) "We'll release things on our own time when we feel like it and you're going to like it anyway." :mad:

Feel free to express other ideas, or other gripes about Apple. Sometimes we need to vent! :cool:

2. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

If the new MBP doesn't have a Vibrate feature I don't know what I'm going to do with it! :eek:

3. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

JaZzMaN251

1. Installing/copying all my software/documents
    2. Set it up with my hardware (just connecting everything that is :D)
    3. Enjoying it!

Just like I did with this Powerbook 5 years ago... :)

4. Waldszenen macrumors member

1. Routine: transfer emails, photos, documents, etc.

2. Look around for HD wallpapers - anyone know any good sites? I only know of Interfacelift and National Geographic.

3. Save up and buy a 24" cinema display. Pricey but I want one.

4. Get a new case and manbag for it :D

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Like many of you, I plan to create a little alter in my living room, with a dedicated space locking the computer in place, highly protected under glass from dropping, dents, scratches, and dust. Oh, and spilling liquid in the keyboard of course. Not that it matters, because if any of those things happen to my precious baby, I'll just submit them under Applecare.

6. Jack22 macrumors newbie

Re

Thanks with sharing your plan & i will use it sometime.

7. Chromide macrumors newbie

since I will be moving from a netbook with basically nothing on it....

Step 1: Turn on
    Step 2: Put music from desktop on
    Step 3: Install Office
    Step 4-?: Install various other softwarez
    Step??: Done

Since I won't have the money till the end of April anyway the wait for me is only to see what will be upgraded.

8. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

Is exactly my plan, however I already bought a C300 SSD :) so I will just reuse the disk that comes with the laptop as a backup disk.

I hope the optical drive change won't be a hassle in case Apple changes the design inside.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Screw the new MBP. Instead, I decided to get a fantastic new bike to have fun with this Spring/Summer. Why should one wait and wait for a product that is likely to be disappointment anyway? Apple is focused on the iPad right now and the MBP is more or less an afterthought at this point.

It's all about small, mobile devices now. In 5 years, a full-sized laptop will look quaint and old fashioned, kinda of like a tube TV--very few computer makers will be selling them.

10. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

11. zipa macrumors 65816

LOL. I think you're forgetting something called "professional users". Unless cheap and functional virtual keyboards and VR goggles become the norm, it just ain't gonna happen.

12. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

Someone please post a link to this item. I am now interested. Thanks

13. modular macrumors regular

final cut studio
    CS4
    maya

optibay (ssd with hdd)
    possibly fully load the ram

my first laptop since having a tibook g4. super stoked

14. eccentricglow thread starter macrumors member

eccentricglow

15. solarein macrumors regular

Same here.

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Apple already came up with these reasons, you are now in the process of being sued.

17. Denzo macrumors member

Denzo

Well after waiting for it for about 2 months.. Im over getting it. I am just going to keep the macbook unibody I bought ages ago. Reality has hit.. All this hype for something that still cant be used to game on, so really, for me at least, looking at spending thousands to save 2 secs at boot up and 0.25 sec quicker email, web browsing and WORD/EXCEL just isnt even remotely worthwhile. If you dont have one.. go for it. I wouldn't trade for one though If I owned anything 2.0ghz-ish and above.. just not worth it.

Sorry to enlighten you..

18. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

I completely agree, but my current computer is a G4 17 1.5ghz and its time to upgrade. I'm just waiting for the new ones so when i do upgrade it will be the latest and greatest. But i am growing tired of waiting, like so many i have been waiting for months.

19. eccentricglow thread starter macrumors member

eccentricglow

Well, honestly I don't need it as long as my desktop can hold out, even though it has problems with freezing sometimes and video drivers quitting and restarting - still haven't figured that one out. Eventually I want to switch to a laptop and kinda don't want to pay the high(er) premium of owning a mac right now. :eek:

Other threads are saying it's next week for the update for sure, but I'll believe it when I see it. :rolleyes:

20. TheStigger macrumors newbie

TheStigger

Clam shell it then use 2 cinema displays is my plan and my dream.

21. rhetarae macrumors newbie

OUt of touch...have G5 and G4

I am a switcher. So when I bought my laptop it was relplaced with the intel core Duo and I had a new computer out of date from day one. So, I don't want to make same mistake again. What is the latest rumor about new MacBook Pros. Benefit if SSD hd? And since my G5 is old also, no intel core duo. I use Photoshop and Lightroom2, having problems with IPHOTO 8.

Like the whole library is gone after with help of phone tech support from Apple Care while transfering photos to new IPOD Touch 3rd gen 32 G, all of my Iphoto pics are on Mobile Me and IPod touch but none in Iphoto on my hard drive.

I think it is because in troubleshooting they turned me over to hard drive tech support and had me read off my primary drive and they told me to Restore Iphoto. I told them it didn't look like it should . That Iphoto was not where it always had been prior to the putting photos on ipod touch. Instead of appearing in dock it was only present as the icon under a folder item in my regular Pictures under home/pictures/nameofimport/Iphotoicon/???
    I trusted the tech helper. And after the choosing iphoto photos and hitting restore, my library was bare.

And i lost my cell phone connection. And faith in help who can't see my external drives or even my set up. I have a second internal drive which is 500GB and is set up as primary. Backup for Lightroom was on one OWC 1Tdriveexterenal, and old pics from prior importing into Rheta/picutures/2004_Christmas etc are either on my primary or on externals as my orig drive was only 160 GB and got full. I have one WDexternal with LRbackup. And it is a mess because all LR has to point to original location on hd. And even Mac Time Machine has a full backup and incrementals on a partition of the 1 T OWC,

I don't know how to untagle?
    Hire an ex employee from Apple store...they told me at UTC in San Diego. I also only have 2 more days to decide about Mobile Me. All the iphoto albums are up there in the cloud. Avail to friends to download orig size. But I have been told I cannot retreive my Iphoto library that way either. Advise> on purchase new system: get laptop first or wait for new one, or get IMAC. Is there an upgrade in works for IMAC. I don't want to buy outdated Mac this time. torn between the IMAC and the MacBook Pro.:confused:

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Apple still cares about professionals? That's news to me. Seems they would have updated the 17 inch MBP with more modern components rather than the outdated sadness they have now. Any professional buying a new MBP today should be embarrassed to pay so much for so little. Ironically, I think the Mac Pro and other high end desktops will survive for awhile. But serious mobile computing seems to be headed for the clouds.