What are your thoughts on the DJI Osmo?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Alvi, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

A few days ago the DJI Osmo came out and it looks pretty sweet, it probably gets you high end point and shoot quality with Ronin-grade stabilisation, I'm about to jump ship and order it. What do you think? I want to hear some negative points, talk me out of it!

In case you don't know what I'm talking about
    http://www.dji.com/product/osmo

2. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

I want one, looks like it'd be a blast to use. My concern (apart from IQ-- I'm used to viewing footage from my Canon 5DII) would be battery life and file storage. Don't recall seeing any info about either, maybe I missed it.
    But the stabilization aspect has put GoPro into the back of my mind, esp. if they have a lot of attachment options. I noticed there's also an option to use it with an upgraded camera, details of which I'm not familiar with.
    I was very excited to see this product.

3. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

It seems to be a very interesting device. But, again, all together it's pretty HUGE (still way smaller than a professional steadicam equipment)! As far as I can see you need the iPhone as a viewfinder (and controls) only and can't record on it.

I love to have the iPhone ONLY and I'm looking forward to iPhone 6s Plus with it's new optical video stabilization. It's way smaller (and slim) and you can put it anywhere. I tried iMovie on iPhone and was baffled how well it works (esp. the sound options).

The mount for bicycles (DJI) seems to be interesting as well. But honestly I doubt that the constant shattering and rattling without any suspension will serve for the durability of our precious iPhones. Okay, you may use it without the iPhone.

I'll have the 6s Plus in some weeks and we'll see how good the stabilization works. I was already baffled how well the Cinematic Stabilization (digital) works on iPhone 6, have some examples here (sorry it's German but you'll find the YouTube clips anyway).

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

Ive reviewed several GoPro stabilisation options, including the handheld Feiyu-Tech FY-G4, and they work wonderfully well. However, the Osmo is a much nicer all-in-one design IMO, and I do prefer the non-fisheye look as well. Along with the app, the versatility of the entire design is rather impressive.
    I wouldn't give up my GoPro, but Ive already ordered my Osmo and will be creating a full review over on my YouTube channel once Ive put it through its paces!

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

The Osmo comes with a 16GB card, but can be used with a 64GB MicroSD.
    Unfortunately the battery only lasts around an hour (not sure i thats with wifi on or off), so some spares are certainly recommended!

There are several accessories available, such as a bike mount and car mount, as well as standard tripod mounts and extension arms etc.

The following cameras can also be used. In fact you can purchase just the handle alone and then one of the below cameras (although they're SUPER expensive!)

http://www.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x5s

6. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Yeah, the X5S is incredibly expensive and I can't really say it's worth the upgrade for me, I am sure that many people who are intro aerial videography could say it's worth the extra 2 grand but I'm not one of them. That's mainly because I can't afford an Inspire One in the first place and flying drones in my country is almost illegal.

I'm also having a hard time deciding if I should invest in video gear for my DSLR or get the Osmo (and I know it's a completely different game).

The thing is that over here in Europe, the Osmo is 750 Euros, and in my country it will retail for around 930 US$ adding some accessories like an extra battery, some mounts and what not will easily get me past 1 grand. With that money I can get a lot of Video DSLR gear instead, but then again, the Osmo will probably let me do more by being less.

Oh, and the Osmo really needs an external microphone if you want decent sound, so that's another 200$ on top of the 1 grand, it's not cheap if you think about it at the end of the day...

7. Ifti macrumors 68000

Ok, so Ive been using the Osmo for a while now, and initial impressions are very good! Video quality thats probably edging ahead of the GoPro hero 4 Black, and great stabilisation - still needs a little tweaking but otherwise its seriously impressive!!

My thoughts are here:

Im looking at the Rode VideoMicro as an external mic, with the Osmo extension arm and accessory mount. Should make a nice little setup! Stay tuned to the channel to see it all in action!!

8. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

Ifti,
    Nifty review-- thanks for that!

9. Ifti macrumors 68000

lol - I see what you did there.... ;)

10. dansjohnson macrumors newbie

dansjohnson

I have had mine for a few weeks now. It is really sweet. The clips are limited to 14 minutes or so. Not sure why. Battery life is less than an hour. I had to use a super clamp to connect it to my tripod. Other than those things, all positive here.

11. Keebler macrumors 68030

Well I've been away often this fall and most of that in areas with little to no cell reception.

So if I were to see you, I would want to politely slap you.

Because now I want to buy one! It looks fantastic and has huge potential! :)

Maybe awkward looking, but I can't tell you how many times I've ran with my HD camcorder and shuddered at the shaky footage after.

I find the price point is ok too, but then again, price points can always be justified if one really wants something lol

I'd definitely buy an extra battery or 2.

Very cool idea DJI. Very cool!

12. Ifti macrumors 68000

Creating a nice shooting rig - keep an eye on my YouTube for full setup and testing videos, as well as DJI accessory reviews! (link in sig!)

[​IMG]

13. Policar macrumors 6502a

Groundbreaking. Yes, image quality is an issue, but for whoever mentioned the 5D Mark II as a competitor, what a joke. This will blow it away.

It won't, however, have the same depth of field and range of lenses. But the image itself will be fantastic, even up to 800 ISO, the limit on the 5D II IMO.

14. Ifti macrumors 68000

Created a pretty decent shooting rig with mine - I can see most people going for this type of setup.....

15. DPZ macrumors newbie

Worked with one over the last two weeks. 4K is ultra sharp, but horizontal motion can get juddery in 4K. On-board fan makes the built-in mic unusable. Not happy in low-light.

16. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

$650? Looks gimmicky to me. Small sensor means limited DOF control and probably high amounts of noise in low light. Looks too small to have optical focus or zoom, so you basically have a movable cellphone camera on a stick. Paaaaaaaas.