What are your thoughts on the Google G1??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stoich, Sep 25, 2008.

1. stoich macrumors member

APPLE VS GOOGLE

Ok so here we have another phone that is launching that its sole purpose is to dethrone the Iphone from its dominance. My question to you all is what are your thoughts on it? There is alot of press and alot of hype behind the G1. Do you think this phone actually has what it takes to stack up?

>What is your first impression when looking at it?

>Do you think the G1 will be better than the Iphone in its overall performance?

>What do you think of the Android OS?
    -Ill tell you I have seen the Android Beta OS on a cooked up HTC Touch and it was pretty awesome although not stable in its beta format.

Is T-Mobile the best carrier for this phone?

There are alot of questions out there in regards to the G1 let me know what your thoughts are!

With Googles name on the back of this phone that alone will push customers towards this phone. Is this phone what you'd want in your pocket? If so tell us why?

When it comes down to brass tacks it is APPLE IPHONE3G VS. GOOGLE G1 who is the winner???

Let the fight begin!! :D

2. stoich thread starter macrumors member

I searched for a google g1 thread before posting and couldnt find anything thanks for the heads up :) Id still like to get everyones thoughts! Cheers!

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I like the G1. I do think it's more of a Wing replacement than an iPhone competitor (from a T-Mobile perspective). But it does look like a nice phone. If I didn't already have an unlocked iPhone then I'd get it. But the mac integration is the high point of the iPhone for me.

4. stoich thread starter macrumors member

Thats was a big question for me was T-Mobile adding a whole new category to their phone line or was this simply another Smartphone. The Iphone is in a class of its own. Im wondering if the G1 will have a similar impact and create a whole new class of phone for T-Mobile. Cause honestly if it is performs as sluggishly as a wing or shadow that would be a HUGE let down for me. I had alot of high hopes for the Google phone when I first heard about it. Lets cross our fingers that they can mix things up a bit :rolleyes:

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't think it offers serious competition to the iPhone for a few reasons:

1. It's ugly. The iPhone is, looks-wise, in a class completely by itself.

2. It is too closely tied to Google's other services. If want to check email on my phone, and I have a T-Mobile account and a .Mac (or whatever else) account, I'm up Chocolate Creak w/o a popsicle stick. Also means no M$ Exchange, etc.

3. Apple is developing specific tools for the iPhone that make it appeal to professional fields such as medical doctors. Google won't ever achieve this by forcing someone to use Google Docs (which can be buggy at times)

I don't think it's a serious contender. One of the biggest reasons someone upgrades their phone is because they want to move up and get something snazzier. The G1 doesn't look like a step up the ladder. It looks like several other cell phones already on the market.

I'm not saying it won't be popular, but it won't ever match the style and niche of the iPhone.

6. stevegmu macrumors regular

It looks like a brick, and the slide-out keyboards don't hold up well. I doubt many will be camping out at T-Mobile stores waiting to buy one.