What are your thoughts on...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by creon, Mar 26, 2009.

1. creon macrumors 6502

The Apple Time Capsule?

I am looking to buy a hard drive to back up all of my music and school work just in case something bad should happen. I have looked at the TC and backing up w/o wires is very attractive, yet i could do the same with a Westgate or another external HD for half, if not less, the price of the TC.

If you own the TC, what are your thoughts on it? I will also take any comments of concerns about this subject if it tickles your fancy.

2. svndmvn Guest

I have an Airport Extreme and I hooked up a 2.5 portable USB HDD, so the Time Capsule is probably just a more capable, smaller solution. It's worked wonderfully for me.
    However, if you could deal with something with less I/O, different looking, probably bigger and maybe with less capabilities, especially since the last update, go for the alternative..

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I have a TC and it's been a PIA since day one. I'm now using it not as a router, but as a NAS controller, for which it does just fine. I think it has unresloved control issues :rolleyes:.

4. desiringGod macrumors regular

I bought it because I needed a faster router and it is was an all-in-one solution (wireless router, wireless back up, small footprint, etc). If hadn't needed the router, I would not have bought it.

5. raclotz macrumors member

raclotz

backing up with usb seems ok if you just want to back up your music and skool work... it will be probably a one time job... right??

6. creon thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, my music library is always growing and my work for school grows with time, too.

So the updating would be more than a "one time job."

7. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

backing up over USB is faster than wireless. I was too considering buy a TimeCapsule, but after some research, I found that too many people were complaining about how bad it was. I would suggest getting a regular external drive, which would work perfectly and be much cheaper.

8. baditkoff macrumors member

I'll add my .02 here.

I am currently not a MAC owner but soon to be. I am considering a MB or MBP. For me a TC is a sure thing. I already have a wireless router, so the TC will be a node on my family network for the time machine. I want the capability to backup my system regardless of where I am in the house, so the wireless is a necessity. I will also have the protection plan, so phone and genius bar is a resource. I have heard a lot of criticism about the TC being unreliable. My experience that all products have both good and bad critiques.