What are your throughts about upgrading?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djwobble, Nov 29, 2008.

1. djwobble macrumors regular

I have a chance to get a new MBP as my parents want the one that I have.

I have the 2.2 ghx, 120 gig hard drive, 15.4 inch, etc etc.

I have a chance at the New MBP, 2.53 ghz, bigger hd, etc etc.. but a glossy screen. (about $400 more, upfront, now)

OR

I chave a chance at the Older MBP, the version right before the current one and one right after my mine. 2.5 ghz, 250 gig hd, matte screen. (even trade, i'll continue to make payments on the laptop, I wont ower any more money)

What would you do? I am bothered by the glossy screen but I saw where you can get a matte for the screen..

Your thoughts?

Thanks !

2. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

Does the glossy screen really bother you that much when you tried one out at the Apple store? I don't even notice the glossy screen interfere with any of my work in class, I'm a graphic design major, what I notice more is the "pop" on colors when compared to the older MacBooks my friends own. It's a tough call, only thing I can recommend is which ever you do choose make sure to upgrade to a 7200RPM HDD, that make a huge difference for me compared to the stock HDD it came with.

3. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

ok. I see. I am leaning more towards the older MBP. Main reason is for the money. With the economy the way it is, I'll need to watch my money closely.

4. ivinho macrumors member

I was having a hard time choosing between an old MBP and new glossy MBP. I ended up getting the new glossy one. The best thing to do, if you can, is go to the store and look at the screens. I can tell you that they are reaaaaally glossy even compared tot he old glossy MBP.

For me it was worth it because of the upgraded video card and i can upgrade the hard drive later on to a Solid State Drive. Not sure if you can do that on the old ones?

Either way, you have to figure out what you'll be using it for.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If money is an issue, and the glossy screen of the new MBPs is another issue, then I'd suggest that you go for the older 2.53 ghz, refurb MBP. It is still a great machine, and will last you several years of hopefully happy computing.

Cheers and good luck

6. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

If you decide you want a new MBP (highly recommended) and still want to watch your budget just ask for a education discount. You technically have to be in college or home schooled, but if you're nice they will usually give it to you. That will shave several hundred $$ from the price.