What aspect ratio do you like to compose in?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nateo200, Sep 14, 2012.

?

What aspect ratio do you like to compose at?

1. 2.39:1 (including 2.35:1 and 2.4:1, specify if needed)

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. 2.20:1 (70mm format)

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. 2:1 (Univisium)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1.78:1 / 1.85:1 (Specify if needed)

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. 4:3 (SD "Square TV")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. nateo200, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

What aspect ratio do you like to compose in? I find 2.39:1 my favorite not for that "cinematic look" but because I feel like I can compose my shots better this way and show my audience what I want....As I use a DSLR with a spherical lens that means cropping unfortunately unless someone blesses me with 1.33x anamorphic Hawk V-lite lenses :D :D But what do you guys think? 16:9 (1.78) will unfortunately be the easiest as thats what most modern cameras are natively going to shoot but that hasn't stopped me or others! I also find 2:1 an interesting aspect ratio (No I am not channeling Vittorio Storaro, ASC :p).

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

16:9 until I get a camera that does 4K or better.

3. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Really? I wouldn't be so concerned about resolution! I mean even without anamorphic lenses at 1080p cropping to 2.39:1 leaves all the horizontal resolution...besides 1080p is the delivery format for most consumer level stuff and while 4K is nice its not everything...even if you used an Arri Alexa at either 2.8K raw or HD ProRes you'll have a beautiful image to work with...hell DSLR footage even offers that! Man movies in scope that used DSLR's as B-cameras...I don't think native resolution should restrict what aspect ratio you want to shoot in unless your talking SD cameras :O

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

That is true however I like to deliver with 1080p, so I would lose vertical pixels cropping from 1080p (although I do understand that is part of the desired effect) but I'd feel better doing that with at least 2.8K but ideally I would be editing in much higher resolutions mentioned.

5. mBox macrumors 68020

There is like and then there is reality ;)
    So my answer is whatever the client likes.
    You would be surprised at the resolutions I work with :p
    Now my likes is same as yours when Im watching a good movie.
    Not sure if Im that keen enough to stick with one canvas.
    Maybe Im that boring :)

6. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

So you'd like a nice 2560x1080p delivery? (Basically 2.5K at 2.35:1 and what 21:9 cinemascope TV's operate at). If I had something like the Alexa or a RED I would totally shoot at 2.8, 3 or even 4K to ensure the 1080p delivery looked good....I find that if you capture and deliver at the same res. you have less room to screw up and your shots need to be perfect.
    Your dream project with an infinite budget ;D the client does not get to meddle with your artistic style in this thread...I haven't worked with tech savvy clients so I can deliver anything so long as its remotely good looking :D The request for me is "Make it look nice" or "You have an HD camera right?!" :roll eyes: .

I know that for one of my dream projects (BIG dream I might add :D) shot in digital I'd want to use a Phantom 65 and a RED Epic / Scarlet...compose the Scarlet at 2.35:1 and open the frame up on the Phantom 65 to either its native 2.20:1 traditional 70mm format or 2:1 for IMAX release...probably frame everything for 2:1 in mind for an IMAX release. Zeiss Master Primes and some Canon glass for sure...maybe some Panavision E-series glass for some flare-tastic anamorphic look. Ill give you a hint on what I'd want to create, I'd be taking advantage of the high frame rates of both cameras (especially the Phantom), there would be some epic jump scenes and its based off an iconic video game :D First person who guesses gets the satisfaction of being intuitive haha.

I like shifting aspect ratios because 1) they don't bother me and are barely noticeable BUT 2) they do provide a different feel that is more fitting for a scene. I loved The Dark Knight, and Tron: Legacy with the shifting aspect ratios...I think it was way better than just cropping off everything to 2.39:1, don't really care about whether it was "right" or "wrong"...looked great to me and from what I've read the directors framed accordingly.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

That is right I would like to deliver at that res, however 4K gives me additional room to crop the image if needed. I tend to use the whole frame (meaning the shot has to be right) in 1920x1080 with my current Canon, looking to upgrade or rent higher end somewhere down the line.

8. mBox macrumors 68020

I would have loved to tell you about my recent purchase but it hasnt arrived and probably wont make it here till late November :p
    Its the Black Magic Cinema Camera.
    With the ability to shoot at ProRes/DNxHD at HD and RAW at 2.5K, you can crop till you drop with that ;)

9. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I've been in to 1.85 lately. It's wide-ish, but still tall enough to get a nice big sky in there.

10. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

I've seen and heard good things about the camera but not allot...I really like the ability of it and the Arri Alexa recording straight to ProRes....I just wish it could record ProRes at 2.5K/2.8K. Its not an "official" resolution listed by Apple but they do allow custom frame sizes and ProRes is listed as supporting anything up to 4K....I think ProRes is going to gain some more support as a legitimate professional codec soon.

Yeah at 4K you can almost "zoom" in post edit by just cropping a section off because it'll still be at 2K (depending on how much you crop though).

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I am interested in that camera however I can't find any info on dual XLR inputs with phantom power which I need, the camera itself has a pretty good price tag on it and the 2.5K is a nice step up from 1080p. I need to see more professionally graded footage from it though because what I've seen so far was good but not impressive.

12. Policar macrumors 6502a

Given that most new dramatic episodic tv shoots on the Alexa in prores, I think we're there already. The major post houses I know of trade in prores more than any other format. It's already ridiculously successful.

I don't mean to offend you if you're already worked with Alexa footage and know as much or disagree with my opinion, but Canon's idea of 1080p on any of its dSLRs feels like SD against the Alexa's crisp detail and fine film-like noise. It's true that it can't withstand enlargement that well, but neither can red footage unless you de-noise it. The Alexa has much finer grain that gives it the appearance of having more resolution than it really has; the image looks dramatically better than red's and despite the codec it doesn't posterize in post no matter what you do, it just has less measured resolution.

Look into the GH3 and C100 (optionally with an external recorder) if you want something similar to the BMC camera but more traditional (amazing that the dSLR form factor has become traditional).

Props to the madman who chose 2.2:1, by the way.

13. mBox macrumors 68020

You will need external options such as this.

----------

I use ProRes4444 at 4K in FCPX using R3D exported from RCXPro.
    Love ProRes but Ill work with whatever is needed.
    Most BMCC future users are hoping for a firmware update to get higher ProRes res :)

----------

we all want to see more of this camera but there isnt any out there in the wild for all of us to create with.
    I believe its up to the person that makes it impressive.
    Ive seen what the test version can do and how quick pros turned around with it.
    I believe itll do the job for most cases.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

and it certainly will. A little DaVinci Resolve (or whatever you use) with some noise reduction and it'll produce phenomenal images for that price.

15. mBox macrumors 68020

Its nice that it comes with Resolve ;)
    Im sure any decent camera can have phenomenal images.
    Its up to the creative to make it so :)

16. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Check out Philip Blooms 45 minute review on Vimeo...only got 12minutes in or so but he mentions the fact that it has dual quarter inch jacks that needs a special adapter, no phantom power without the device. I haven't worked with XLR's in a while so I can't be too knowledgeable in that area. (Hopefully when I get my second Zoom product I will however :D)

Yeah I've been aware of the Alexa's straight to ProRes for a bit. I haven't a clue why this idea wasn't forged at the beginning with cameras like the Sony CineAlta series and others. I googled, out of curiosity, HDCAM SR vs ProRes 4444 and allot of people said ProRes has obviously been viewed seriously but that HDCAM SR still is a bit better for archival, delivery, and holds up better to wear and tear....I can't argue for Sony as I have no experience with HDCAM SR. I think ProRes could pretty soon be a standard to use in everything but DNxHD seams to be competing as if I'm not mistaking the Alexa can do DNxHD in camera on some models and of course to external recorders...I think the ProRes line is a bit simpler in nature though and even if it needed to become more robust I imagine Apple could release a slightly modified "pro"ProRes haha. The Alexa sounds like a dream to use for anyone. Just dump the files and your good to edit.... Also the Alexa images do indeed look amazing...several TV shows I could have sworn were shot on film surprised me!

As for another camera...I'm no pro (yet at least) but my next DSLR or camera for the matter will be able to take EF lenses and a nice clean HD or higher image either out of a HD-SDI or HDMI port....

As for who chose 2.2:1! That would be me kind sir! While I like composing in it, I feel like the sensor on my DSLR doesn't do it the epic justice I associate it with...maybe if I did a film with allot of epic scenery or I composed for 2.4:1 in mind but the shots were too tight from space issues or something I might...but then again I might just leave it open at 1.78...One day Ill shoot at 2.2:1 but it has to be fitting :D

Allot of talk about the Black Magic Cinema camera! I'm excited to see what it produces...that said I have started to look at my precious toys as more of tools lately (though still fun toys :D) that I use to create a picture...I still have allot to learn and I don't think that a new camera is going to benefit me for now (especially since I'm broke!). That said, I plan to work on my new job with my cameras as well as build up on things like essential glass, possibly a real stabilizer vs my homemade one and whatever else helps with what I've got. Remember, many movies and TV shows were shot with DSLR, good glass and above all skill!