Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0mega

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Example such as those 27" how many year can last if using daily like 3-5 hours?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
My iMac Core Duo with the ever so wonderful video card and garbled graphics issues is going to hit 5 years old. Flash is the mind killer.

Seriously, it is still a decent machine for web browsing and Word.

crawdad62

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Greencastle, IN
I have the first generation of the aluminum iMacs and it's right at 4 years old. It gets used at least 4 hours or more every day. It's still going strong. Well it is now that I put a new HDD a few weeks ago and that is what will likely be any computer's Achilles heel. The hard drive. Most of the other components of a computer don't really wear out. If they work they work (maybe the power supply should be included) but a hard drive is a mechanical device that's constantly working. I'm in the market for a new iMac because I'm wanting a bit more power and a larger screen but as far as needing one because this one (with a new HDD:p) is worn out? Nope still going strong.

LordGav1n

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
Texas
I'm in the same boat but this will be my first mac ever and the wait is bugging me. There is a time frame for when they "might" come out but the fact I could finally purchase one now does not help my patience.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
pansies.

Mine are from late 2007 -- all of them at *least* 9 hours a day 5 days a week (9-6 workday with 1 hour off) -- except for mine which goes 12+ hours a day(in by 8, never seem to leave until 8) + many weekends.

rWally

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
Denver, CO
I've got one of the original white 24" iMacs from 2006 and it's still humming along. It may be slowing down but it still gets the job done. Will probably be upgrading to a new machine once the new iMacs are announced.

xkmkmlmx

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Mid 2007 24" aluminum still going strong after power use for the last 4 years. I edit video and use it as an HD media output device.

I have had to replace the hard drive about 2 years in. Just replaced it again this last week but only because I wanted more space, not because the other drive is corrupt or anything. You can look for my other thread I just started if you want to see how I messed it all up :p

But I agree with someone above, watching anything flash is a killer on it now. Everything else works great, mostly.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I bought iMacs for myself or others 12/04, 11/07, 7/08, 6/09, and 11/09.

The 12/04 (17" G5, when they had just come out) just had the power supply capacitors fail. They are being replaced. No other failure.

The 11/07 had its display fail in warranty. No others have required repairs, and they are all still in use by various people. AFAIK all are powered on 24/7 and sleep when not in use.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Intel iMac approaching 4 or 5 years with no problems.

PowerMac G4 10+ years with at least 5 years of 24/7 operation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.