Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
I have an Iomega Peerless drive, with a 20gb cartridge but this is no longer big enough for my needs. My MP3 Collection is 16gb alone, and thats without all my photos and software backed up. I dont like the thought of backing up onto CD/DVD as the music will then have to be broken on into different sources.

I know all my music is "backed-up" on my ipod, but i dont count this as a secure backup device, as it is with me all times and can be lost/stolen easily.

What do you guys use for 20gb+ backup?

I was thinking of an external HDD

For people that use an external HDD, do you keep it attatched to the mac/pc at all times? or do you just connect it when you want to backup/restore your data?

Thanks

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
At home: A 2nd internal drive with Silverkeeper.

At work: Lacie Big Disk Extreme (320gb) with Dantz Retrospect for network backup

The Lacie -- as mentioned elsewhere on these forums -- is a solid piece of equipment with FW400/800. You can also get ones with USB2...

kronos2611

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
For backups that size I tend to copy to an external HD attached to my Mac - or backup to my Linux box. The external drives are usually powered up all the time but I let Mac OS put them to sleep so they're idle most of the time. No harm in powering the drive off though (so long as you unmount first!)

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2004
usb sticks

Filemaker data files and accounts data file.

and a lacie firewire drive for my music....just thought about emails. i don't back them up - how can i do that?

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
The lacie seems cool. just had a look on ebay

The reason i like a cartridge type backup device is so i can hide the cartridges, in case i get burgled (may seem sad but my music and photos are way to important to go missing)

The other reason, is that if it is plugged in to the mac all the time, is there a chance a virus can get onto the drive?

Or am i just talking rubbish!?

Thanks

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
glosterseagul said:
usb sticks

Filemaker data files and accounts data file.

and a lacie firewire drive for my music....just thought about emails. i don't back them up - how can i do that?

To backup your emails, to go home/library/mail

and backup the entire folder, this will also save any rules, and signitues you have created

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
marknicholls said:
The other reason, is that if it is plugged in to the mac all the time, is there a chance a virus can get onto the drive?

Or am i just talking rubbish!?

:)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
marknicholls said:
The reason i like a cartridge type backup device is so i can hide the cartridges, in case i get burgled (may seem sad but my music and photos are way to important to go missing)

In that case, burn CDs/DVDs (much cheaper by mb) and store them somewhere else... work, school, family, friends...

...that is, unless they're those kind of photos... :)

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
Blue Velvet said:
In that case, burn CDs/DVDs (much cheaper by mb) and store them somewhere else... work, school, family, friends...

...that is, unless they're those kind of photos... :)

i dontknow what u mean :)

I cant be bothered with splitting 20gb of data onto 4 DVD's! Id rather shell out for an Iomega REV , or now i have been reading this forum, a Lacie i think

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
marknicholls said:
:) say no more!!

I have heard of virus's that can destroy all the data on your HDD....or was i dreaming?!

Some kind of nasssty Windows strain of virus, probably... if anything like that existed for the Mac, you would have heard about it right here at MR Forums.

Get a Lacie. They're virtually indestructible.
Don't get the Porsche one (plastic case with poor reviews).
Use Silverkeeper, it's free.
Or you can use Carbon Copy Cloner (also free) to make a bootable clone...

Back up your entire drive or just the users folder... you know it makes sense.

neilrobinson

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2004
Perth, WA, Australia
firewire hd sounds that way to go,

also i am wondering the same kinda thing, i have about 200gig to backup and dont mind having it on 2 tapes etc. i want to really store it off site.

i have has a look at tape drives but they are rather expensive any suggestions? btw, i am limited by budget :mad:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
neilrobinson said:
firewire hd sounds that way to go,

also i am wondering the same kinda thing, i have about 200gig to backup and dont mind having it on 2 tapes etc. i want to really store it off site.

i have has a look at tape drives but they are rather expensive any suggestions? btw, i am limited by budget :mad:

Some people around here suggest buying a firewire enclosure and a conventional ATA HD to put in it yourself for a cost-effective solution...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I use a pair of LaCie d2 drives - 1 160GB drive dedicated to my iTunes music library and 1 250GB drive partitioned into 80GB and 160GB for backup. My iMac's internal drive is 80GB, so this arrangement works perfectly.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I'm probably a bit of a backup obsessive, but I'm putting together a backup solution for myself at the moment. I'm trying to follow a few points:

- I should have at least 2 backups at one time
- I should never have all backup devices connected to the same computer at once (in case of virus / power surge etc.)
- I should have a backup outside my house
- I need to safeguard confidential backups (not that I have any great state secrets on my Mac, but I'd prefer to keep my data to myself)
- I don't 100% trust firewire (I've seen firewire devices get corrupted when mounted or unmounted - I think firewire is great, but I'd rather not keep plugging an unplugging my main backup into my mac).

I've bought one of these:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-155-ProdID-NSLU2.php

Which is a very cheap Linux file server (tiny too!). I'm going to get three of these:
http://www.ioraid.com/products.html

Hard disk enclosures with encryption, and add 3 drives to them. I'll then run one off the server as always-on storage, and rotete the other 2 as off-site storage at my office. I'll keep encryption keys at home and another location - not at work, so my data is safe.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
iPod and I save my important files to a computer i turned into a file server.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
marknicholls said:
I have an Iomega Peerless drive, with a 20gb cartridge but this is no longer big enough for my needs. My MP3 Collection is 16gb alone, and thats without all my photos and software backed up. I dont like the thought of backing up onto CD/DVD as the music will then have to be broken on into different sources.

So you were the one who bought the Peerless drive? It's a nifty idea, but they're really not cost effective compared to firewire drives or DVD-R.

From what you describe, your data isn't changing very frequently. What I mean is that you're not going to modify your 16G of mp3s are you? And when you add holiday photos, you'll want to archive them, not continually rework them?

Your backups would be a lot easier if you bought something like Retrospect to let you do differential backups, rather than attempting to back everything up every time (and when you do back everything up every time, do you use more than one Peerless cart? or is there a moment when your sole backup gets wiped before you write new data onto the Peerless? not good!).

Using differential backups you can cut 10 DVDs to perform a backup, then another one every now and again for new files. It's not a big deal that everything is on different disks, as retrospect should hold a catalogue. It's also not a big deal, as this is your final backup that you never need to use - so a bit of inconvenience in retreiving isn't too bad. Better still, cut 2 sets of disks on different branded media and keep one set in a different location.

jaromski

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
zion
i have a firewire 200gb backup drive. it works quite well. then i have a cron script that runs every night and syncs all the files from my /home directory to the /backup drive.

but as posted earlier, it isn't the best idea to keep all your backups "online" all the time. you could really get hosed if something nasty happens (read computer starts on fire, virus purges all writeable directories, etc.)

so i also have a script that runs once a week and syncs my backup drive to another server at my friend's house. and he syncs his to mine. so we have effectively colocated our data in case either of our locations burn to the ground. there is a great utility called rsync that does all the heavy lifting for you, and it is free. as in beer.

paranoid? most likely, but it has saved my ass a few times already so it is worth it.

jaromski

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
firestarter said:
So you were the one who bought the Peerless drive? It's a nifty idea, but they're really not cost effective compared to firewire drives or DVD-R.

From what you describe, your data isn't changing very frequently. What I mean is that you're not going to modify your 16G of mp3s are you? And when you add holiday photos, you'll want to archive them, not continually rework them?

Your backups would be a lot easier if you bought something like Retrospect to let you do differential backups, rather than attempting to back everything up every time (and when you do back everything up every time, do you use more than one Peerless cart? or is there a moment when your sole backup gets wiped before you write new data onto the Peerless? not good!).

Using differential backups you can cut 10 DVDs to perform a backup, then another one every now and again for new files. It's not a big deal that everything is on different disks, as retrospect should hold a catalogue. It's also not a big deal, as this is your final backup that you never need to use - so a bit of inconvenience in retreiving isn't too bad. Better still, cut 2 sets of disks on different branded media and keep one set in a different location.

I've got to agree with this chap. Making 2 sets of complete backups on 10 (or less) DVDs (thats 44gb's!) and storing them in different places, then make a differencial archive every week (or more if you like) onto a DVD-RW, remember to make 2 copies of it of course). When the differencial data set gets to be more than 1 DVD-RW, it's time to do a new complete backup.

This is the most effective solution, in terms of cost/gb, and also not to bad time wise. You can have one set of backup at home, and another at, for example, your office desk, your parents/other relative, or a good friends home. If you have an external backup drive and your house burns down, you've lost it all. With this system you have a good offsite backup.

You're weekly/daily backup will only take a few minutes with an 8x Superdrive, and the whole thing will only cost you about $15 in blank media (~10 DVD-R's, and 4 RW's) assuming you already have a Superdrive. If you don't you can get a dual layer drive cutting your disc needs in half, or have a new G5 PM with a Superdrive you may already have a dual layer drive!

Best wishes,
Rob

dross

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2004
Bethesda, MD
I use a firewire 800 drive that I put a tray in. I have 2 drives which I rotate keeping one at my office. It is fast and cheep and works great.

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.