What backup do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chef55, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Chef55 macrumors member

I bought an Iomega 500gb external to backup my Time Machine. It lasted approx 6 weeks before dying :(

Just wondered what reliable options you all use and who's got the longest living one ;):D

2. bier-meister macrumors regular

I have 2 buffalo terastation NAS drives, a 1TB and a 2TB running in Raid 5. The 1 TB is about 2 or 3 year old and the 2 TB is 12 months. Running 24/7, no problems thus far. I was a little sceptical when getting the first one as some of the reviews were not so good but I'm happy with them, do what I need plus I can FTP into them when I'm not at home to access my files.

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I use FreeNAS on an old spare PC and do the backups to it with time machine through wireless since almost a year. Of course I use the FreeNAS for many other things too.

4. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

5. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

Cripes didn't realise how expensive some of these external hd's were :eek:

Doesn't anyone use something more reasonably priced thats reliable? :confused: Also being in the UK have not heard of some of these brands either.

6. Catch Them macrumors regular

I prefer a DIY approach, just grab an external enclosure and a good sized drive you want (i prefer any of the AAKS drives by WD)

Enclosures:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...92 1053807123 1054107131&bop=And&Order=RATING

the icy dock is slick and perfect, and if you fill up on back up just grab another drive and slap it in and youll be set.

i have a ICYDOCK + 750 on my router for time machine for 3 different comps and it works well.

7. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I use a western digital harddrive to CLONE my harddrive - i don't use TM at the moment but probably would in the future when I have the money to buy a 1TB drive and enclosure.

8. Queso macrumors G4

I have a 320GB iomega minimax connected to the iMac and use SuperDuper! for software.

Also have a LaCie Rugged 320GB for the MBP, which I use with Time Machine. It's better for the laptop because it's Firewire bus powered, so much easier to carry around.