What backup drive for 2TB iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bullet123, Dec 9, 2009.

1. bullet123 macrumors newbie

I have ordered a new imac with 2TB hd option. I wanted to know what people are using for a backup drive. I dont intend to partition the internal drive and have a lot of content and thats why i ordered a 2TB drive. To backup i am assuming at least 4TB external drive would be required.

2. DazBrowne macrumors member

You need atleast 2TB but you could get up to 110TB if you want Western Digital are usually well priced

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Why would you need 4TB?

Do you plan on keeping 1.9TB on your internal drive at all times?

Define "a lot"?

For the extra $250 you spent on the internal 2TB, I would have kept the 1TB internal (and ordered my iMac from someplace cheaper than Apple) and then spent that $250 got a fast external FW800 2TB external to put some of that "content" on. 3TB total space too.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

For backup, any cheap as you can buy USB 2 drive you can find.

4. peteyD macrumors member

I wanted the 2TB disk but the BTO lead times were so long I just caved and bought a 1TB i5. It is great.

On my old iMac (CoreDuo) I had all my iTunes data on an external drive. Used to drive me made as every time I switched to iTunes, it took an age to spin up the external drives. Okay, 5-10 seconds, but felt like an age. I would definitely go for all-internal storage with external back ups if I wasn't so impatient.

5. 3121 macrumors member

agree with post above save your money on the internal drive and but a bigger external drive.

6. bullet123 thread starter macrumors newbie

And how do you back up the external drive ( a delta backup as the data changes?). Will Time machine do delta backups of the external drive on which i will kepp the data?

7. JayInNJ macrumors regular

Yes Time Machine will do that if you include that drive. I think it defaults to not including it.

8. cAPS lOCK macrumors member

Get the 110TB. :D I've got a 250 Jigaflop HD and its nearly maxed out.