What backup harddrive should i get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fcbr10, Nov 4, 2007.

1. fcbr10 macrumors newbie

I want to get a drive to use with time machine that won't fail. Should i get a raid drive and what level? I'm looking for one that's 320 to 500GB.
    Thanks

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

A drive that "won't fail" is, well, expensive. And even then, it isn't 100% fail safe.

What's your budget? What degree of "won't fail" are you prepared to tolerate?

3. fcbr10 thread starter macrumors newbie

my budget is less than 400 and i just want something that has two hds mirrored

4. maxi macrumors regular

5. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

One additional benefit is the long warranty on most OWC products - you often get 2 years standard warranty on the complete, unopened unit. Ans after that your HD's are also under warranty for years 3-5 directly from the HD manufacturer.

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Mirrored is RAID-1. Check out maxi's suggestion about OWC. I haven't used those drives myself, but I know some people who swear by them.

7. fcbr10 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. shadowband macrumors member

FireMax drives (from proMax)

I recently bought a 1 TB fireMAX from proMAX, and it's working fine. These guys have excellent support BTW, as well as a 3 year warranty.

It supports FW400, FW800 and USB 2.0 and comes in various sizes. It ships as a RAID 1, but like you, I wanted redundancy over capacity and performance, so I pulled the jumper to convert it from a 1 TB RAID 1 stripe array to a 500 GB RAID 0 mirror array (the unit actually contains two 500 GB drives internally).

Although this configuration will survive a single drive failure w/o loss of data, there's still some risk for catastrophic failure, as both drives are contained within the same enclosure (i.e. two physically separated mirrored drives would provide additional protection against data loss).

As an added benefit, the style of this drive matches perfectly with a powermac/mac Pro case.

BTW - I bought a 60 GB external FW drive from this company about five years ago, and it's still working fine, and I just received a 400 GB drive from them last week to be used with Time Machine.

Here's the link if interested: http://www2.promax.com/Products/Dual-Combo

Good luck...

9. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

RAID-1 is mirrored, RAID-0 is striped. Other than that, thanks for the link - it is always good to know about more vendors.

10. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

[I assume that the capacities of the OWC drives mentioned above are listed as the RAID-1 capacity, thus double if used as RAID-0 ?].

Anyone have any thoughts on this 2Big LaCie drive coming out this month:

[​IMG]

... versus the G-tech G-RAID2 drives, which sound great, but cost a bit more. EDIT: and don't seem to be RAID-1.

I'm looking for a 1-1.5 TB drive with FW800 to use as RAID-1 for work. My current LaCie drive has performed well, but some people seem to have had bad experiences with LaCie.