What Backup solution do you have?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dannywaugh1, Mar 8, 2012.

1. dannywaugh1 macrumors member

Hey all just a quick one,

What Backup solution do you have connected to your mac how are they connected?

I'm asking this one because i'm unsure on how I'm going to back up my own mac when it arrives.

thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

I have one 500 GB HDD for my photographs (digital and analog) and libraries and editing documents, one 500 GB HDD with my personal video footage in an editing friendly format.
    Both 500 GB HDDs get backed up to one 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
    And that 1 TB HDD gets backed up to another 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
    Therefore I have three copies of my important data.
    I also use CarbonCopyCloner to clone my system SSDs onto an external HDD, all connected via Firewire.

But there is also Time Machine, which is easy to setup and runs in the background, but as a clone is bootable, and I can use that in case something happened to my OS, I prefer cloning to Time Machine.

Time Machine FAQ

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I have a MacPro and my wife has a MacMini. I use a 2 TB drive in the MP to back up the other three drives in the MP plus the Mini. Time Machine is great for daily use.

However, this won't do me much good if my computer get stolen or my house burns down, so I also have an external 2 TB drive that I use to clone the four drives. I do this once a month and store it off premises. (I don't worry about cloning my Time Machine drive.)

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

My Mac gets backed up to my 2 TB Time Capsule and Crashplan. The TC is for quick retrieval while Crashplan is for offsite in the event of something happening like fire, tornado, burglary or when the TC drive dies.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use exactly the same setup. It is perfect for me.

/Jim

6. LNYMRKO macrumors regular

External USB drive for Time Machine backups, and also have my home folders (desktop, documents, pictures, music) setup with symlinks to Dropbox for off-site backup (and synchronisation across multiple Macs) for personal files for worst-case event of theft/fire etc

The rest of my media such as movies and TV shows are stored externally on my Drobo, which has redundancy for drive failure, but I don't see it as mission critical come 'worst-case' scenario if I were to lose it all (sure it would be annoying as it's a lot of media, but its not personal stuff like photos and documents etc).