What Backup Solution

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thepominlaw, Feb 3, 2010.

1. thepominlaw macrumors member

Preordered my first mac, decided to go for the i5 and give my son my gaming pc. Question is I still have my Windows Home Server which I was planning on selling to buy a backup solution for timemachine.

Is this worth doing? Was looking at Netgear Stora or is there any way of using my home server instead?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Don't think you can use your home server for this, but Carbon Copy Cloner is a great app for backing up your mac. It works for both making a bootable backup as well as incremental (synced) backups. It's free, but the maker does accept donations.

Works with USB or Firewire External Drives, and over a network with other macs.

3. thepominlaw thread starter macrumors member

Ok it looks like I will have to sell my Windows server then thanks.

I have 2 of these (IB-3218StU-B) IcyBox JBOD enclosures that I used on my PC, each contains 2 x 500gb drives, the manufacturers website says they are Mac compatible is this the case.

Also how will JBOD appear on my Mac? On the PC they appeared as two 500gb drives from the single usb connection, will this be the same on the imac?

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I imagine when you load them, if they are not in RAID, then they will show up as two separate drives, and generally the mac finds any discs plugged into USB or Firewire with no issues.