Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjusmo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
So I'm jailbroken on 6.0.1 on my iPhone. When the GM comes out ill be installing that. But I want to keep all my text messages and I don't think iCloud backup includes sms and iMessage.. So how to backup my SMS and then restore them when I have the GM installed?

Also whatsapp conversations and the media in the app are important but I guess the app itself can do it but does it backup all the pictures I have sent and received? I think I have done it already but gotta make sure.

I have done iCloud backup and I think it has everything else covered like pictures and contacts and apps and safari bookmarks?

So when the GM is available tomorrow, do I restore my phone to 6.1.3 (to get rid of the jb) and then install the GM and then restore the iCloud backup so I have all my stuff and info back?

I know I could have search around for answers but its easier for me to get all the answers in the same place :)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So I'm jailbroken on 6.0.1 on my iPhone. When the GM comes out ill be installing that. But I want to keep all my text messages and I don't think iCloud backup includes sms and iMessage.. So how to backup my SMS and then restore them when I have the GM installed?

Also whatsapp conversations and the media in the app are important but I guess the app itself can do it but does it backup all the pictures I have sent and received? I think I have done it already but gotta make sure.

I have done iCloud backup and I think it has everything else covered like pictures and contacts and apps and safari bookmarks?

So when the GM is available tomorrow, do I restore my phone to 6.1.3 (to get rid of the jb) and then install the GM and then restore the iCloud backup so I have all my stuff and info back?

I know I could have search around for answers but its easier for me to get all the answers in the same place :)

iCloud backups do backup everything in Messages, including iMessages and SMS. If you backup to iCloud, and restore from that, Your phone should have all of your data back after the restore.

jjusmo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
iCloud backups do backup everything in Messages, including iMessages and SMS. If you backup to iCloud, and restore from that, Your phone should have all of your data back after the restore.

Alright sweet :D so I'm good to go, bring on iOS7!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I suggest backing up in iTunes, simply because restoring from a local backup is MUCH faster than restoring from an iCloud backup.

Plus, you can always rename the backup so that it sticks around in case you have problems and need to revert to it.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
I suggest backing up in iTunes, simply because restoring from a local backup is MUCH faster than restoring from an iCloud backup.

Plus, you can always rename the backup so that it sticks around in case you have problems and need to revert to it.
From what I've read, doing an iTunes backup restores all files, basically clones the phone and when upgrading to a new iOS, they recommend a clean install. iCloud seems to be the answer for this, restores the files needed (pics, text, app data, etc...) and doesnt carry over all unneeded files/folders. Correct me if I'm wrong.

iTunes restore=faster
iCloud restore=cleaner

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
From what I've read, doing an iTunes backup restores all files, basically clones the phone and when upgrading to a new iOS, they recommend a clean install. iCloud seems to be the answer for this, restores the files needed (pics, text, app data, etc...) and doesnt carry over all unneeded files/folders. Correct me if I'm wrong.

iTunes restore=faster
iCloud restore=cleaner

If that's the case, I've been doing things wrong for a while :D

jjusmo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
It doesn't matter how long it takes to restore the backup so I guess iCloud is better because I don't want any settings or junk from iOS6 back on my phone.

Just to be clear, when I have installed the GM do I restore the iCloud backup from my phone or by using my laptop? I bet my questions sound really noobish but I just want to be sure I keep all my stuff..

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It doesn't matter how long it takes to restore the backup so I guess iCloud is better because I don't want any settings or junk from iOS6 back on my phone.

Just to be clear, when I have installed the GM do I restore the iCloud backup from my phone or by using my laptop? I bet my questions sound really noobish but I just want to be sure I keep all my stuff..

iCloud back up is just through the phone. iTunes backup would be from the computer.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
iOS 6 backup to iOS 7 phone

I may be wrong but I don't think an iOS 6 backup can be restored onto an iOS 7 phone..

hazuki

macrumors regular
May 17, 2013
Bali
Hey guys i want to ask something
Currently i have itunes backup and iclous backup from ios7 beta 6

I'll update to final release as soon as it is release and restore backup from itunes backup from beta 6
But some people told me not to restore from beta backup instead set up as new iphone
That maybe some beta bug data on my backup

But i dont want to lost my text messages data and camera roll
Please tell me what should i do?

Sorry for my english

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
First of all, unless you are an Apple Developer, you will most likely NOT be getting IOS 7 tomorrow unless you download it from a Third Party Website which is something that I do NOT Recommend.

Second, unless you are prepared to lose your Jail Broken Status, you will NOT be able to Upgrade to IOS 7 until your Jail Break is Compatible with IOS 7.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
First of all, unless you are an Apple Developer, you will most likely NOT be getting IOS 7 tomorrow unless you download it from a Third Party Website which is something that I do NOT Recommend.

Second, unless you are prepared to lose your Jail Broken Status, you will NOT be able to Upgrade to IOS 7 until your Jail Break is Compatible with IOS 7.

On your second point..what?

Clearly, the OP doesn't care about losing his jailbreak. He would rather be on iOS 7 than jailbroken. Therefore, all he has to do is restore to iOS 7 and he'll be fine.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Also which iPhone do you have? If you have the 4S or below, yes you would upgrade to 6.1.3, but if you have the iPhone 5, then it would be 6.1.4.

----------

Does it really matter if the OP is updating to the GM and is not a developer?? Usually the GM is the exact same as the public release...

Also, the OP clearly doesn't care about losing his/her jb because they're willing to update to iOS 7.

jjusmo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Also which iPhone do you have? If you have the 4S or below, yes you would upgrade to 6.1.3, but if you have the iPhone 5, then it would be 6.1.4.

----------

Does it really matter if the OP is updating to the GM and is not a developer?? Usually the GM is the exact same as the public release...

Also, the OP clearly doesn't care about losing his/her jb because they're willing to update to iOS 7.

I'm a he. lol.

I have a iPhone 4. I'm pretty tired of the look of iOS6 so that's why I'll go for the 7 even though I won't get all the nice features etc. And if it lags too bad I don't care because in few weeks I'll be buying my friends near mint-condition 5 for a very good price :D

And no, I'm not a developer. But I bet most people here will update their phones to iOS7 too even though they aren't developers. And isn't the GM the same as the public release? I'm pretty impatient person so I will just download it somewhere tomorrow...xd

And btw is it necessary to first update to 6.1.3 to get rid of the jb or can I go straight to the iOS7 GM?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

lol. and you don't recommend because why? because apple said so?

it will be the same version shipped with the new iPhone's. no reason NOT to upgrade early.

jjusmo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
And btw is it necessary to first update to 6.1.3 to get rid of the jb or can I go straight to the iOS7 GM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.