What battery do I need and where to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matota85, Sep 22, 2011.

1. matota85 macrumors newbie

Hi, Im new to the forum but im a daily reader for MacRumors.

I have a MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), Serial Number: WQ0224GVATM and from one day to another the following sympthoms appeared:

- Every time i turn it on a meessage appears that my date is setted up to year 2000 and that some programs may not work properly, so I have to change it every time.
    - If I disconnect the MagSafe the Mac turns off instantly.
    - The trackpad has been "lifted" up to the point it is on the same level as the body of the mac and I cant click (i can tap, but not make the real click).

For what I already read on the web the probable cause is battery bulging, so it seems like a need a new one. Is there anything else that could be causing this sympthoms?

On the other hand, does anyone knows where can I buy this battery other than in an apple store?

Thanks for your help,
    mato

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I would make an appointment and get it into an Apple to store to be checked out. Those batteries shouldn't have gone bad that soon. I would have them check the MBP as it could be something within has gone bad and caused the battery issue or the battery has just gone bad. Either way, they should know and check it out, as it may be a manufacturing defect and they will do a courtesy swap out for you, just make sure and tell them you are concerned it may explode and you would like it checked out.

4. matota85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, thats my idea, but i have no apple store close and for the checking they are gonna charge me 50 bucks... so as a 2nd option i was trying to look for somewere else to buy the battery, do you know any web site for that?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries are only available from Apple.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I would try and talk to the manager of the store and plead the case on their good sense that it is safety issue and you have no where near the claimed 1000 cycles of Apple battery life and under normal usage it should not expand like that. Maybe you could get them to agree that you would pay the diagnostic fee and if it turned out to be manufacturing defect they would refund the fee or if not apply it towards the new battery??

7. pscraig, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

pscraig macrumors member

The above link is just patronizing advice.

It's clear your battery should last longer-my wife has one just like yours she uses for school and it gets very heavy use, and is going strong.

Out of warranty your options are limited though. $50 for a battery check sounds steep to me, and there's not much they can check other than making sure it's connected to the logic board. A new battery installed by Apple is $179 and might be your only option. As it stands, this might be the best option.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How is a link to factual information considered patronizing? You're not making sense.