What battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anaelmasri, Sep 20, 2008.

1. anaelmasri macrumors newbie

my battery for my iphone doesnt last more than 3 hours.
    i do make use of it in that time. that is really really bad.
    i followed the instructions on apple website on how to save battery life longer, still doesnt make a huge difference.
    any tips?
    also ,did anyone buy one of those external lithium batteries that you can take with you and be like an extra battery to plug in the iphone?

2. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

3 Hours is pretty bad. I usually get a half day to a day out of mine with heavy use. (Depending on what I do with it).

I did buy a external 4600mAh battery that I use when I need to recharge, it just plugs in the bottom and can recharge the phone about 4 times. I get that off Ebay for around $30 or so. Well worth it.

3. anaelmasri thread starter macrumors newbie

can you give me the name and tell me how long does it last for with heavy use?

4. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

5. jamaica14 macrumors member

what instructions are you talking about? can you send me a link please?

6. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

7. jamaica14 macrumors member

8. anaelmasri thread starter macrumors newbie

id like to hear more about the other options out there.
    the battery thing is very very tedious

9. heya macrumors member

Have u updated to 2.1 firmware? I found significant improvements in my case and many users have also reported the same. So try doing that. Also overcharging your unit reduces your battery life too.

10. anaelmasri thread starter macrumors newbie

i just got my fone 3 days ago. i have updated to 2.1, didnt really notice that much difference.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Give it one more week. During that time, let it die completely once or twice and charge it FULLY after that happens. Sometimes the battery needs some time to settle in and shape up.

If you haven't seen improvement after 7 more days, return it.

I usually get 15-20 hours "on" with somewhere between 2-5 hours of use during that time depending on what I'm doing with the phone.

And I don't try to save power too much. Like, I leave wi-fi and 3G on all the time and stuff like that.

12. anaelmasri thread starter macrumors newbie

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I keep the Richard Solo in my car for an 80% recharge.

14. phannon666 macrumors regular

I never had a problem with battery in the first place, but after 2.1 it is better.

Recently I had 3 days without charge, 6 hours iPod, a few texts here and there, the odd 10 min phone call, safari, facebook, app store etc. and still had about 40% battery left.

15. pj rage macrumors 6502

Stop worrying about external chargers and return your phone to apple. If you are only getting 3 hours out of the phone, with no standy or anything, then it's defective, plain and simple.

16. gray67 macrumors member

gray67

I was having similar battery issues after updating to 2.1. Try this - let the iPhone drain until it shuts of (play a movie repeatedly or something similar). Then plug it into the PC and let it recharge to 100%. I did this over the weekend (thank you Spore Origins!), and after the recharge my battery life has improved significantly.

17. kyrow123 macrumors member

kyrow123

I would just suggest returning the phone as I do not believe that you should only get 3 hours on it (even if it needs to be fully drained and recharged). To me, it sounds like something is wrong and you need to return for a new one.

18. anaelmasri thread starter macrumors newbie

i already exchanged the phone, it shouldnt be deffective. on the apple website it says on 3g you get 5 hour talk time, so its pretty close to what i get already, its just a ****** setup for a phone like that.
    .:eek:

19. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It sounds completely defective to me, whether it's a replacement or not. I easily go a full day with all the options enabled (push, 3G, location services, wifi, bluetooth) and tend to have about 3-4 hours of mixed use during the day. After 15 hours off the charger, I still have around 25-45% battery remaining.

20. someguy7014 macrumors member

I also think your battery is defective, if you have done the full drain cycles and its still only giving that usage.

Last time i checked i was at 4.45 usages and 20 hours standby and battery was at 40%. 3g, Wifi location services and fetch at 15min all on.