What belongs on the SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydrocity, May 29, 2011.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

how can I check how big my Application folder is? Im picking up a SSD and I want to know what size I should get. I am doing the Optibay, so I will have space for my files. I was told to put my applications folder onto the SSD, is there anything else I should put on it to maximize loading times?

2. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Basically everything except your home folder.

Movies
    Music
    Pictures
    Documents
    Download Folder

All of these go to your HDD

3. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is the home folder? And should I still put all of those on the SSD when I have a HD in the optibay?

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

users/your login name folder

Everything in that folder

5. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

That contains basically everything on my computer. Wouldnt I want to put that on the secondary HD?

6. daneoni, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Isn't the general practice to put your music and photo libraries in the HDD and everything else on the SSD? i.e. referenced files = HDD and read/write files = SSD.

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

That is what you can put on your secondary drive. What is left is what would be on your SSD--operating system, applications, and other system folders.

8. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, ok. Thanks

Now how do I check how big individual folders such as users and applications are

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

secondary click on the folder -> get info
    It takes some time to check but after a few seconds it tells you its size.

I would simply put everything on the SSD that you can make fit. Only if one folder is just too big than put it on the HDD.
    My documents folder for example is with 2 GB already bigger than of most people but I leave it on the SSD because when I work with its files the HDD can sleep and need not make noise nor consume power.
    I would only throw movies next pictures next music of the SSD if it cannot fit. In this order. With movies there is hardly any benefit on the SSD it just needs lots of space usually. With pictures only iphoto opens faster, with music there are 0 delays in itunes and again the HDD can sleep during playback.

Just check total space used on your drive and subtract movies + pictures + music + documents in this order and don't forget downloads if it isn't empty already. Keep downloads on the SSD and only empty it frequently. Makes installs much faster (of downloaded dmgs and stuff) + the noise, battery life thing.

10. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

I keep my iPhoto library and all my documents in the SSD, too.

Makes a lot of difference when browsing my photos and loading/saving my work.

11. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet thanks!