what benefits does TB2 offer over TB1?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CultHero, Oct 23, 2013.

1. CultHero macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2007
    I have been waiting to upgrade my 2005 iMac and wanted to see what the new rMBP had to offer.

I will be buying the loaded option 1tb 16 gig RAM etc or the 768k 16 gig RAM ivy bridge.

Trying to decide whether the Haswell is worth the extra $500 or so $$

The refurb store has this:

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display
    Originally released June 2012
    15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch
    16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    768GB Flash Storage
    720p FaceTime HD Camera
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

for $2399 which is a decent saving over a similarly equipped Haswell.

Obviously I lose 256gig of storage and faster wifi and graphic and processor, but for what I do it will most likely be plenty fast enough still.

I want to future proof as much as I can as I will hold onto this computer for a long time, so the lack of TB2 could be an issue, except I am not familiar with limitations so any input is appreciated.
  2. kashirat macrumors newbie

Oct 23, 2013
    TB2 offers increased bandwidth so that you can run (future) 4K/retina displays.
  3. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2007
    hmm that is a bummer, I remember reading somewhere that people had been driving 4k with the ivy bridge. Is that not the case?
  4. kashirat macrumors newbie

Oct 23, 2013
    Looking at the available 4k displays:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution and

It looks like most do it via 2 cables.

And from

It looks like you can technically do it on the 2012, but of course you'll be using 2 thunderbolt ports to push pixels, whereas you could *technically* use one TB2 port on the new rMBP.

I don't have any direct experience hooking up these displays to either machine though, so take my information with a grain of salt!
  5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2011
    Interesting insight. I'm probably not going to worry too much about TB2 then since the original TB is still very expensive.
  6. warplane95 macrumors regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Can I have non mobile gpu with tb2? Like nvidia quadro card