What benefits will retina give with 3d modeling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adildacoolset, Jun 17, 2012.

1. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

As the title suggests: what benefit would I get from the retina display when doing some 3d modeling? Im not really hooked up into a buying decision, just asking a general question that can maybe influence my future purchases. Although the one thing I'd like is real estate, when using split views. Can the retina help that?

2. mlfarrell macrumors member

Will make 3D models, lines, verts simply sharper and look nicer on the display. I intend to be the first app-author to ever support retina for my 3D modeling studio.

3. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

Maybe better graphics....

I might be wrong though

4. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

Please elaborate. Do you mean by smoother lines?

5. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Yep. Quality and real estate.

6. Stetrain, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

The retina display does help with real estate. The default option gives you the real estate of a 1440x900 display, but sharper and more detailed. There are also settings to give you equivalent real estate to 1680x1050 (same as 15" MBP high res) and 1920x1200 (same as 17" MBP).

How your specific 3D apps look on the display will depend on whether they get updated for Retina support.

Windows has DPI scaling options also to give you similar flexibility in real estate (although some apps can be glitchy with the Windows DPI scaling).

Edit: If you really want to go crazy with real estate (and you have good eyesight) it is possible to run both OSX and Windows 7/8 at full 2880x1800 with no scaling. That's more real estate that a 27" iMac/Cinema display.

7. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Sharp edges to objects will be helpful. And real-estate, for sure.