What book to get for iPad app development?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mhs91, Mar 7, 2013.

1. mhs91 macrumors newbie

I'm sure someone has asked this question before so I am very sorry! I was to learn how to develop apps for an iPad and also learn some Objective C. I have been researching books to get for a while. I need an absolute beginner book because I have never done programming. I own an iPhone 3GS and an iPad 3. All the books I find are for iPhone apps and the one that was highly recommended to me is: Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK. The problem is, I don't have an iPhone 4. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

The differences between the different iOS devices is not that great. Most books cover development for the whole range of devices.

You first challenge will be to learn programming. The book "Objective C Programming- the Big Nerd Ranch Guide" is a good choice for beginning programmers. It will teach you programming using first C, then Objective C.

Once you've gotten through that book you'll be ready for a book on the Cocoa Touch frameworks that you use to develop for iOS devices.

You'll probably want a beginner's book that teaches you to use the Xcode development tools at the same time that it teaches you the operating system components you need. Make sure you buy at book that is based on Xcode 4.x (The current version is 4.6. Do not touch a book that uses Xcode 3.x. Things have changed completely since Xcode 3, and it would just confuse you.)

3. mhs91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!!

And I know this is a noob question but, do I need to have the exact device for which I program?

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

No. In fact, you don't need any of the devices. You can set your target build/iOS and use emulators to test your apps.

I'd strongly recommend the book "Learn Objective-C On the Mac (Second Edition)".

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

You can also sign up for the free once a month email from www.raywenderlich.com which will come with a link to an excellent free tutorial that you should do first before spending any money. :)

6. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Google CS193P for some free podcasts from a Stanford iOS programming class. I found those to be very helpful.