What books will i need?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by baddj, Apr 21, 2009.

1. baddj macrumors 6502

Okay i want to get into making some mac apps now the only coding i know if php and a bit of html and i want to get into coding stuff for apple computers now i know apple use cocoa so i am looking for books on that but is there any other books that mite be of help? also is there any sample scripts out there where we can download them and open them in xcode?

2. saurabhshukla macrumors newbie

saurabhshukla

Hi check out this link. May be helpful for you.
    http://cocoadevcentral.com/

3. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

You're going to need to learn Objective-C in order to write Cocoa apps. Some people say you need to learn C first, then Objective-C, while others say you can jump straight into the Objective-C (which is kinda how I did it). For learning Objective-C, I would recommend Kochan's "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" which is very well written and assumes no prior programming knowledge.

Teaching yourself Cocoa from scratch is a very challenging process, but is doable if you stick with it and work hard. Cocoadevcentral (linked above) is a great resource for someone just starting out. You might want to go through a few of the tutorials just to get a sense of whether this is something you're going to enjoy learning/doing because it is a pretty big commitment.

4. baddj thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanx for your reply's ill be going to a number of bookshops and asking about that book and anther book about cocoa that i was told about (i want it on paper not ebook) Yea i seen some code on that site and it looks very confusing from php but i want to code app's for mac so i am going to get into and work out how to work it.

5. henrysoup macrumors newbie

henrysoup

A really great book that I bought is "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" by Stephen G.Kochan. I seriously recommend it. It takes you through the basics excellently, but still has enough content to be used as a reference handbook. :)