What brand for SSD and RAM for new alum Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by typhoonoid, Oct 18, 2008.

1. typhoonoid macrumors newbie

Well i bought the 2.4 alum macbook.
    Now i have to upgrade it.
    What brand of SSD and RAM is the best and good value for the price?
    Never bought aftermarket RAM for my computer.

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

RAM from Crucial or OWC is a good bet.

Not sure on the brand for an SSD right now, but Newegg sells some at a decent price.

3. typhoonoid thread starter macrumors newbie

will both work with the macbook for sure. what about ocz?

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

As far as RAM, this from Crucial, and this from OWC will work for sure. Now, note that the prices here are about the same as the Apple upgrade price, but think of it in other terms. If you get a MacBook with 4GB of RAM, you are essentially paying for the original 2GB plus an upgrade price. If you get the 4GB aftermarket RAM, you can sell the original RAM and reduce your out of pocket expense.

I haven't done much research on the SSDs though. I have heard many companies are releasing new SSDs by Christmas. I think Samsung has announced a 256GB drive and supposedly prices will drop substantially by then as well for existing capacities. You can look here for existing SSDs.

5. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Would Apple ever make these Macbooks upgradable to 8GB RAM? I read somewhere that these new Macs should be able to support 8GB. Is that even possible? I want to know before I plop down a few hundred for 4GB.

6. retroneo macrumors 6502a

until someone tries it out, no-one knows.

7. typhoonoid thread starter macrumors newbie

8. cshale210 macrumors member

macbooks are only 32-bit, it doesn't even fully read 4GB. any more than four and it is simply a waste even if it "works"

9. typhoonoid thread starter macrumors newbie

Seem to me ram is a little expensive right now. I sure it will drop in price or some slick deal will pop up soon.

10. retroneo macrumors 6502a

You are thinking of the pre-Santa Rosa MacBooks.

The Santa Rosa MacBooks worked brilliantly with 5GB and 6GB of RAM, but quickly grind to a halt with 8GB of RAM installed.

This 12 page thread has several users extensively testing what works in the Santa Rosa machines:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/29/581...k-works-macbookpro-1x4gb-1x2gb-6gb-works.html

Someone needs to do the same with the new models...

11. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

as of right now, best ram upgrade is thorough apple.
    best ssd is intel, samsung blows ass.
    patriot is a good alternative.

12. rael00 macrumors newbie

Correct me if I am wrong, but i think theses macbooks processors are really 64bits processors. My take is that if nothing has been done in the bios theses babies can handle 8 gig easily, only the price and availability of 8 gigs of ram are the show stoppers.

13. typhoonoid thread starter macrumors newbie

However if you uprade the ram thru aftermarket you get to sell the original ram and cut the cost.

14. typhoonoid thread starter macrumors newbie

I thinking bout buying a SSD on ebay using live.com cashback for 30%
    any experience with OCZ brand or patriot.
    just for your info using live cashback the SSD drives end up being about 300 buck which is a bargain

Edit:
    Well i bought an 128gb OCZ SSD on ebay.
    Total Cost $401.59-$108.30 cashback = $293.29
    Seller advertised a $90 manufacturer's rebate so potentially I could get this SSD for 203.29, but even for 293.29 I think its a good deal. Unfortunately I had to pay tax because i live in CA and the seller is in CA too.

15. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

why is that the some SSD brands sell the 64gb for 600 dollars and a different brand will have a 128gb for 600 dollars..?

16. maremalin macrumors newbie

See here:
    http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/product_memory.asp?Cid=100&indexnum=4

SSD comes in two different versions SLC and MLC.
    If you want to run OS you should go for SLC (faster read/write speed) or special combination of MLC and correct controller (Jmicron).

regards

mm

17. cryonic49 macrumors member

get OCZ core v1 for Macs. They are not the fastest, but decent enough. They are also really cheap, because they don't work right with lot of windows machines(OCZ is trying to get rid of them) - BUT, under mac osx, they are flawless.

I had a v2, but I saw a deal for v1, so 64gb for $120... awesome!

18. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Unlike the conventional HDD, SSD technology is still in a developing stage. Different architecture used by different brand can result in significant differences in performance. As the result, price varies. Do a search on SSD reviews (there are many), and decide what suit your need/wallet.

19. hmai18 macrumors 6502

How many people are going to pay for 2x1Gb of DDR3? Most laptops that support DDR3 already ship with 2Gb standard, if not 4.

If you upgrade to 4Gb, hang on to your original memory as there have been reports of lockups with incompatible memory: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=595517&highlight=ram