What brand of external drive for G5 PPC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alexmac712, Dec 20, 2012.

1. alexmac712 macrumors newbie

My WD 1 TB 2.0 USB external is only about 2 years old and is causing my iMac (10.4.11) to crash. It has all my iTunes and other files.
    First off, I was told by the iHospital to change my USB wire (which is USB to mini). I had one laying around and tried it, but the drive is still causing issues.
    I even ran Clam Xav on it and had no viruses show up.
    Now, I checked USB wires that look like they might work, but at $15-20, I'm not sure I want to do that and the problem continues.
    Now, if I do get a new external (which has to USB 2.0), should I get a regular drive with a power supply or shoot for a small portable one? Would iTunes run on the smaller drive? Is it even a recommendation?

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The G5 has FW800 (3x faster than USB 2.0)? In that case you can use this enclosure and a new WD Green or WD Red HDD. Both are faster than FW800 (> 100 MByte/s) and need only passive cooling (no fan necessary).

The drive with the power supply is more reliable, and the USB ports do not give a 3.5" HDD the necessary power (10 Watt).

Regarding the USB cables: Use only double shielded cables. This avoids a lot of problems.

3. alexmac712 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for info. I'm off to check these tips out later today:)