What brand panels are 13" MBP 2011 using?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smugDrew, May 4, 2011.

1. smugDrew macrumors member

Just sitting here comparing the Panel on my mid 2009 15" to the new 2011 13" MBP - I can clearly see that the panel on my older MBP is 'cooler' while the new MBP panel is warmer - not sure which I prefer honestly.

But is there a way to find out if the panel in the 2011 MBP 13" is Samsung, LG or another brand? Cheers.

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

you could look at the ifixit teardowns for whatever computers you are interested in comparing to see what differences there are between the machines.

3. smugDrew thread starter macrumors member

They never mentioned, in the tear-down what brand the panel was. Darn!

Anyway, I'm sold on the MBP :cool:

4. smugDrew thread starter macrumors member

Going for the 13" MBP, 2.3GHz i5, 8GB RAM and 128MB SSD.

I was going to wait for the updated MBA but the lack of protective glass on the panel and the unlikeliness of the MBA supporting 8GB RAM - made up my mind to go for the MBP :cool:

5. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I don't know how unlikely 8GB will be with the upcoming revision of the MBA. It could happy since they will put Sandy Bridge in it.

Alternatively, what SSD are you getting?

6. smugDrew thread starter macrumors member

Going for the factory fitted standard Apple SSD option, don't like to open up my MBP and faff with it - that's usually when things go wrong for me :D

7. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Fair enough! I'm going to be grabbing an SSD next month and have set my sights on the Crucial M4.

On a side note, please get out of my subconscious. You're screwing with my second guessing of my thoughts.:D

8. smugDrew thread starter macrumors member

#1 I did think, very briefly about buying a SSD and fitting it - seems easy enough. Good luck with that! :eek: Maybe one day I'll get a cheap 64GB SSD for my current mid-2009 MBP.

#2 Perhaps I will... Or not! \o/

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I highly doubt you are going to run into any problems putting the ssd in yourself:D

Unless you leave your macbook open for a few weeks and let dust settle inside of it, I don't foresee any problems from swapping out the hard drive. Apple calls it a user upgrade for a reason, and countless people have done it with no problems at all!